Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #46
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Bute to fight for WBC title same night as Froch v Kessler possibly on the underca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Also worth remembering that some of those fights havn't even been signed yet.
You mean Frampton-Quigg hasn't been agreed yet?

Ah well.At least we've got Mayweather-Martinez next weekend to look forward to.

And I should have said "we would" instead of "we should" so I can see where you got it from.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #47
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Bute to fight for WBC title same night as Froch v Kessler possibly on the underca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I think it's a case of many fans hoping that the PPV won't be a gigantic rip-off. You can't ignore that the main event is costing 4m approximately. We know Eddie's not covering that with ticket sales, hence the PPV.

But he doesn't keep that much of the 15 - only around 3 or something, so I haven't a clue how he's going to put on a solid card without running serious losses - which is just so wrong-headed for a "ppv-quality" fight.
the promoter takes 50%. that was Hayemakers deal at least.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #48
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
You mean Frampton-Quigg hasn't been agreed yet?

Ah well.At least we've got Mayweather-Martinez next weekend to look forward to.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #49
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
the promoter takes 50%. that was Hayemakers deal at least.
But the Haye deal was seen by Sky as a mistake. It hadn't expected the fight would sell so well and lost a huge chunk of revenue. I don't think it was 50% either, I'm pretty sure Haye got 5 per sale. Either way, a significant amount.

Hatton did that when he fought Mayweather and Pac, as far as I know. But then, we're talking a different planet in terms of revenue - even half of what Hatton was bringing in was monstrous.

Sky isn't looking at making that sort of cash out of this fight, so Eddie won't get the same deal. Like I say, he'll be lucky to get 3 a sale.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #50
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
But the Haye deal was seen by Sky as a mistake. It hadn't expected the fight would sell so well and lost a huge chunk of revenue. I don't think it was 50% either, I'm pretty sure Haye got 5 per sale. Either way, a significant amount.

Hatton did that when he fought Mayweather and Pac, as far as I know. But then, we're talking a different planet in terms of revenue - even half of what Hatton was bringing in was monstrous.

Sky isn't looking at making that sort of cash out of this fight, so Eddie won't get the same deal. Like I say, he'll be lucky to get 3 a sale.
For somebody that is so hot on posters backing things up with credible information, you did a great job at pulling 3 out of your arse.

I will refer back to the email I received this week from somebody who reads these forums that told me "That DFTaylor doesn't have a clue what he is talking about when it comes to TV"
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #51
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
For somebody that is so hot on posters backing things up with credible information, you did a great job at pulling 3 out of your arse.

I will refer back to the email I received this week from somebody who reads these forums that told me "That DFTaylor doesn't have a clue what he is talking about when it comes to TV"
WOW! An unattributed person who emailed you sharing an opinion based on ****-all knowledge of me or TV. You, Rob, have often claimed insight into the sport and the TV world. What is it you do again?

I don't work for Sky or in the broadcast industry, but luckily for me one of its ex-marketing managers is in my team. So I asked her what the standard deal on a PPV is and that was the number she gave - she worked on the promotion of Hatton-Maywether, FYI. It's also based on what Haye reportedly took from the Valuev PPV. You said that was 50%, which knowing Sky's business model seems very high. That's fine - neither of us has a confirmed source - I'm open-minded on it.

Unfortunately for you, I actually do work in marketing and communications, alongside people who have worked for Sky, WB, Virgin, BBC, ITV, STV, the Mirror, the NOTW, etc. And I talk to them about this stuff all the time and constantly need to know what's going on - otherwise my consultancy in my role would be worthless.

Once again, what is it you do?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #52
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:

SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #53
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
You're right. Why fight Bika in London on an undercard when he can sell what 20k (?) tickets in Montreal. Bika-Bute is a good main event for the Canadian crowd. We might see this on the same night.

Just thinking out loud but isn't there talk of HBO/Showtime being interested in Froch/Kessler? Then maybe Froch/Kessler would be on a US friendly time and on the same PPV as a Bika/Bute fight. A split venue USA PPV if you will
No way will this sell on a PPV basis in North America.It would have to be an afternoon fight if Froch is being carried live from the UK.Afternoon fights will not sell here.It would have to be carried by an HBO broadcast and with a replay again later that same day in the evening-but they wont throw big bucks at this promotion.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #54
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
WOW! An unattributed person who emailed you sharing an opinion based on ****-all knowledge of me or TV. You, Rob, have often claimed insight into the sport and the TV world. What is it you do again?

I don't work for Sky or in the broadcast industry, but luckily for me one of its ex-marketing managers is in my team. So I asked her what the standard deal on a PPV is and that was the number she gave - she worked on the promotion of Hatton-Maywether, FYI. It's also based on what Haye reportedly took from the Valuev PPV. You said that was 50%, which knowing Sky's business model seems very high. That's fine - neither of us has a confirmed source - I'm open-minded on it.

Unfortunately for you, I actually do work in marketing and communications, alongside people who have worked for Sky, WB, Virgin, BBC, ITV, STV, the Mirror, the NOTW, etc. And I talk to them about this stuff all the time and constantly need to know what's going on - otherwise my consultancy in my role would be worthless.

Once again, what is it you do?
you make cups of tea for the sub editors at a local newspaper. stop talking shit.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #55
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcity View Post
No way will this sell on a PPV basis in North America.It would have to be an afternoon fight if Froch is being carried live from the UK.Afternoon fights will not sell here.It would have to be carried by an HBO broadcast and with a replay again later that same day in the evening-but they wont throw big bucks at this promotion.
I said a US friendly time meaning the fight would take place very late UK time just like Froch/Dirrell, Haye/Maccarinelli. So that way the two fights could run close together.
Lilo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum