Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
goodnight
The Ayatula of Rockenrula
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2391
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
83 three games of AFL is about as hard as playing one game of under 16 league...
goodnight is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 2524

Ask Israel Falou. Origin player, couldn't stand out wide and receive in that silly ping pong game.
Carmichael Hunt on the other hand is quite a man. I'd have to listen to his opinion to be convinced which sport is the toughest.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbro View Post
Ask Israel Falou. Origin player, couldn't stand out wide and receive in that silly ping pong game.
Carmichael Hunt on the other hand is quite a man. I'd have to listen to his opinion to be convinced which sport is the toughest.

i played league from u7s to i was 26yo and had a knee reconstruction. i have coached RL at junior level and made rep sides.

my son plays both codes. i begrudginly now concede AFL has a broader skill set required of its players. also, due to the RL interchange system, players arent as fit as they were once when all you had were 2 reserves, no interchange.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I could repeat what you said but exchange NRL and AFL. Age brackets and everything.
Played a hand full of Rugby League games and got smashed. It's different.

The interchange rule has worked opposite of AFL, used to be a game for all shapes and sizes. Now you need to be about 185cm 85 kilo, run a 400 quicker than Cathy and be able to play 8 different positions. Kicking and catching are a bonus now, not essential. The interchange rule is designed to make mis-matches all over the field.
Fans want a fair fight/contest no matter what code.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
LeBeave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
i played league from u7s to i was 26yo and had a knee reconstruction. i have coached RL at junior level and made rep sides.

my son plays both codes. i begrudginly now concede AFL has a broader skill set required of its players. also, due to the RL interchange system, players arent as fit as they were once when all you had were 2 reserves, no interchange.

Show us proof........ internet is your enemy
LeBeave is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
83 three games of AFL is about as hard as playing one game of under 16 league...
Palmers football career was nearly ended when he got sandwiched between two other players and received 16 fractures to his jaw,cheek and skull. For a time it was thought he might not pull through.

He was definately more hurt on an AFL field than he ever was in a boxing ring though.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I played grade and boxed at a good level. Got so many more injuries in league.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
goodnight
The Ayatula of Rockenrula
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2391

Quote:
I could repeat what you said but exchange NRL and AFL. Age brackets and everything.

The interchange rule has worked opposite of AFL, used to be a game for all shapes and sizes. Now you need to be about 185cm 85 kilo, run a 400 quicker than Cathy and be able to play 8 different positions. Kicking and catching are a bonus now, not essential. The interchange rule is designed to make mis-matches all over the field.
The interchange rule destroyed league. Now its catering to absorb islanders who could never have played an 80 min game therefore increasing the codes recruits.
League is harder punishment, buigger hits, explosive power etc.

AFL is endurance.

Oh, and you still get a point for missing the goal in AFL
goodnight is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #24
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnight View Post
The interchange rule destroyed league. Now its catering to absorb islanders who could never have played an 80 min game therefore increasing the codes recruits.
League is harder punishment, buigger hits, explosive power etc.

AFL is endurance.

Oh, and you still get a point for missing the goal in AFL
palmer played AFL when it was still a rough game played by thousands in a one code state.

mundine by contrast played in an era before the PI boys took over. how mundine would have handled the bigger bodies of today is open to suggestion considering his current weight of 75kg is unheard of in NRL these days, and his playing weight of 85kg is also almost unheard of. the lower limit of size is at least 90kg. all due to the tidal wave of big PI players and the ****ed up interchange.

so there is no doubt palmer was tough, agile, and as good an athlete as mundine.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #25
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Who's putting shit onn David Boon? Try drinking 72 cans of beer on a flight from Aus to England then we can talk
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #26
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

NRL is trying to sell its product to 100% of the population. but it is narrowing its rules to favour 0.5% of the poulation. 3/4 of rep sides are now of PI heritage. the NRL u20s comp is over 50% PI heritage. the first grade is probably about 50% also.

here is an old article written on the problem. you dont see it discussed anymore. its 'racist' to talk about racial problems etc.

"the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about"; written in 2009. ive heard little discussed in the media since. i dont begrudge PI kids their talent or opportunity, but the rules are being changed that cater for only one demographic of the population. and thats wrong.

Quote:
Roy Masters | April 11, 2009

Players of Pacific Island origin now account for 40 percent of the NRL's number. David Gallop must wish they were all like the squeaky clean and freakishly talented Israel Folau, but such a large population defies stereotyping. Roy Masters reports on the league's ever-increasing islander influence.
Quote:
Forty per cent of NRL players are of Tongan, Samoan, Fijian, Maori, Cook Island or indigenous heritage - but over half of the code's elite under-20 league and two-thirds of junior representative players from western Sydney are of Pacific Island descent.
Pacific Islanders are called "freshies" by their teammates - as in "fresh off the boat", having spent a couple of years in New Zealand before trialling for an NRL contract.
The next generation of talent, however, is Australian born and seeking the traditional path to the top via the code's established junior pathways.
This rapid influx, together with a diverse culture that embraces both god-fearing teetotallers and binge-drinkers, is challenging clubs whose only worry over past Easters was inviting divine retribution by eating meat at the post-training Good Friday barbecue.
The Pacific Island player is the elephant in the rugby league dressing room: officials, fearful of being accused of rascism, won't comment about his impact at the junior leagues, where he stampedes over lighter, whiter opponents, or the challenge he represents to the entrenched ethos of some traditional NRL clubs. He is reshaping the code's demographics at either end of the rugby league age spectrum.
Anecdotally, the number of junior players of European background is falling because they resent having to tackle the bigger, stronger Pacific Islanders in the same age group. In the senior ranks, NRL clubs rush to sign Pacific Islanders who are perceived to be more durable, recovering from injury more quickly.
The AFL envies the NRL's monopoly of the Israel Folau type player - the soaring centre whose Superman-like leaps for the ball could translate to high marks at the MCG.
NRL chief executive David Gallop admits the growing number of Pacific Islanders has created a significant point of difference with the AFL, which employs a draft.
read full articleat link...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
Rooboys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

ANTHONY Mundine is a wonderfully talented athlete, no doubt. But the best ever? Mundine repeated it twice yesterday - "I'm the best athlete ever, man. Ever," - but the problem for Mundine is that ever since he first said it, he has been the only one saying it.

Ambrose Palmer
Played 83 games for Footscray and also won Australian middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight titles. In Australian Boxing Hall of Fame.
Lol u trying to compare a bloke who won Aussie titles to a bloke who's won world titles? Also trying to compare someone who was the highest paid player In the game. To someone who probably wasn't in the best100 players in vfl at the time. Lmao hilarious
Rooboys is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #28
Rooboys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

U don't have to like the man. But call it how it is. There has been no one ever who's been at the elite level like him in 2 completely different sports. One of them the greatest sport of all boxing
Rooboys is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #29
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooboys View Post
Lol u trying to compare a bloke who won Aussie titles to a bloke who's won world titles? Also trying to compare someone who was the highest paid player In the game. To someone who probably wasn't in the best100 players in vfl at the time. Lmao hilarious
You reckon that's hilarious? Israel Falou was the highest paid AFL player. He wasn't in the top 600 players. You don't inherit premiership cups or points.
Choc won the IBO from Geale, who else did he "beat" for a world title?

I would rate the IBO no higher than an Aussie title.
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Mundine wasn't in the top 10 for NSW, you also don't mention Super League experiment where money was flying around everywhere.
The Western Reds had blokes driving cars with logos, rented townhouses on the river, and signed up first grade state players at 60k a pop who never played a game. To keep them off the ARL.

Please don't get me wrong, Anthony is very, very good at most things. You will never find Ambrose Palmer in the "great" column, Anthony is already labelling himself great.
That's our job - the critics.

Last edited by Nigelbro; 01-29-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Nigelbro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum