Mr Butt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #137
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

I don't think it is generous at all, and if it is it is a generosity reflected by almost every non-sanctioning ratings system out there.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #138
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I don't think it is generous at all, and if it is it is a generosity reflected by almost every non-sanctioning ratings system out there.

just an opinion if you are going to post rankings everybody is not going to agree. please don't take it personally
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #139
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Oh, no, I absoltuely do not take it personally, at all.

I just don't agree with your opinion.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #140
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Oh, no, I absoltuely do not take it personally, at all.

I just don't agree with your opinion.

that's good , I have recently spent more time on on-line than I usually do and have noticed on this site people really take things to seriously
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #141
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Well I do take the TBR rankigns seriously - but I don't feel angry if people have contrary opinions. It's impossible for that not to happen.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #142
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Well I do take the TBR rankigns seriously - but I don't feel angry if people have contrary opinions. It's impossible for that not to happen.

your rankings and kirk and rummy's leagues I can see why you/them would take them seriously's after all there is a level of work involved
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #143
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

06/02/2013

Sam Soliman is the only mover this week after a changeless week last week, behind his stirring come from behind victory over a sliding Felix Sturm.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Sturm moves all the from #3 down to #7 based upon back-to-back uninspired performances whilst Soliman debuts at #6. Hassan N'Dam M'Jikam makes way, everyone below Sturm drops a slot.

Middleweight

Champion Sergio Martinez

1. Daniel Geale

2. Gennady Golovkin

3. Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.^

4. Peter Quillin^

5. Matthew Macklin^

6. Sam Soliman *

7. Felix Sturm↓

8. Martin Murray

9. Dmitry Pirog

10. Marco Antonio Rubio
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #144
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

That work is in progress as we speak bro.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #145
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

mcg, what are the odds on the rankings being linked to the fighters records?

Just makes the thing a bit more fluid, say for instance we have a new entry at number 10, people wanna find out about him you just click his name and it takes you straight to his record?

I'm not sure if its something you'd even be allowed to do but it's just a thought I had.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #146
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

I'll pretend I'm McGrain's spokesman right quick...

Yours isn't a bad idea, though we don't want viewers to be bounced off the site to BoxRec, which has its own ratings. We have to be careful referring viewers to any other site anyway, since it would look like an endorsement. We have to remain independent and unconnected.

As it is now, we have two record-keepers in the membership (see the "members" tab on the site to find out who they are -and everyone else) who are monitoring fights world-wide, so the records are well-kept and up-to-date.

Expanding the site to keep exhaustive records of our own would be a redundant effort and a hard-sell.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #147
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
I'll pretend I'm McGrain's spokesman right quick...

Yours isn't a bad idea, though we don't want viewers to be bounced off the site to BoxRec, which has its own ratings. We have to be careful referring viewers to any other site anyway, since it would look like an endorsement. We have to remain independent and unconnected.

As it is now, we have two record-keepers in the membership (see the "members" tab on the site to find out who they are -and everyone else) who are monitoring fights world-wide, so the records are well-kept and up-to-date.

Expanding the site to keep exhaustive records of our own would be a redundant effort and a hard-sell.
yeah I see the quandry. I do like the idea of checking out records at the click of a button but you're right with the problems with endorsement and the redundancy of mimicking what they've already done.

twas just a suggestion is all.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #148
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
yeah I see the quandry. I do like the idea of checking out records at the click of a button but you're right with the problems with endorsement and the redundancy of mimicking what they've already done.

twas just a suggestion is all.
--A good one that is appreciated!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #149
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
There does seem to be a flaw with the rankings, though. For example, regarding the welterweight and heavyweight divisions, to crown a champion of the weight class requires the #1. (Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Wladimir Klitschko) to beat the #2 (Juan Manuel Marquez and David Haye, if Vitali retires and Haye still has his rating).

However, this would mean Floyd and Wladimir would be re-matching guys they've already thoroughly dominated.
There will likely never be re-matches so as long as Floyd and Wladimir remain on top, there may never be a Champion in the division.
I admire the consistency within the criteria, and there's no better way of deciding the champion than #1 vs. #2. Just saying.
Well, I wouldn't say it's a flaw so much as something of a necessary evil.

We could load the dice to make sure that the second-ranked guy is someone we'd like to see fight the top contender. But that sets us on the path to game-playing like the WBS organizations.

We could also allow the third-ranked contender in, but then we'd have to scrap the idea that a throne must be filled by the two best in the division. And that's the whole point. The charter is immovable on that point.

In short, the cures look more like curses.

Wlad rules a meadow right now, so a retread in Haye wouldn't be the worst of things -he fought Tony the Friggin Tiger twice for instance.

Marquez won't be around much longer and who knows what will happen when he fights Pac a fifth time. Hell, if he knocks him out again, I might like to see him fight a declining Floyd.

Rankings shift over time. We see no need to manipulate the rules to hurry things along; that's part of the problem. It's partly why we have 90 belts out there when there should be 17. Everyone is making the rules up as they go along to line their pockets. Meanwhile, boxing fans are being lied to every damn day.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #150
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

The Archives tab has been added to the TBRB.org website:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

For me, as a boxing historian/researcher, this points toward a critical motivation to move on this whole initiative back in May.

Boxing needs continuity with it's past. Boxing needs rankings that are globally-represented, solid, independent, and clean. To rely on the ratings of WBS organizations (or any organization that is similarly compromised), is just plain stupid.

Case-in-point (and one of thousands): Nikola Sjekloca got dominated by Sakio Bika Saturday night in a WBS "title eliminator." Sjekloca came in ranked #1 by that WBS. He is not in the top ten of the Transnational Boxing Rankings. Who's the donkey -them or us? Or boxing itself?

The problem isn't even the WBS. It's the big networks and the boxing press that insist -despite volumes upon volumes of corruption and lunacy over 50 years- on paying them tribute on the air and in print.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum