Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: Lee, Macklin, Barker, Murray - Who do you give the best chance Vs Golovkin?

Proska was a solid Euro level fighter who would be a good fight for Barker etc.

But he is also judged on his considerable AM achievements and the nature in which he has beaten guys. His calm relaxed composure and beating some ok if far from stellar opposition in a brutal fashion is important in rating a fighter.

I would still have Martinez a betting favourite but I think Macklin etc. aren't as good as they are made out to be and MW whilst exciting over the last year is a weak division.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Lee, Macklin, Barker, Murray - Who do you give the best chance Vs Golovkin?

He had a very good amateur career and beat Andy Lee, Bute, and Dirrell as an am.

He's got 22 KO's in 25 fights and has basically dispatched everyone that has been put in front of him. He hasn't had a chance to prove himself at a higher level as not many of the top middle weight guys are jumping at the chance to fight him. He would beat Geale, Sturm, Macklin, Mundine, Barker, and Chavez Jr if you ask me, Martinez would probably be a step too far at this stage but I doubt that fight will happen in any case as Sergio is nearing retirement and only wants big block buster money spinning fights.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
fularton83

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxzone View Post
at the moment they all stand a chance GGG has not been in the ring witha PROVEN top 15 in the world fighter and till he gets in the ring and beats the best I wont be able to judge
i totally agree. who has the guy fought. everybody keeps sayin how great he is but i just dont see it. its clear the guy can punch and has decent skills but to say the guy is a league above the british guys is a little bit too far. those british fighters have fought the best middle weight fighters in the world and caused them major problems . untill he fights one of the elite then i dont rank him above any of the british boys!!!!!!
fularton83 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
FatherTed
Throbbing Member
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Martinez would probably be a step too far at this stage but I doubt that fight will happen in any case as Sergio is nearing retirement and only wants big block buster money spinning fights.
I always thought the reason GGG was getting HBO dates was to build him up as a future opponent for Martinez. That said, time's not really on their side for the reason you've given.
FatherTed is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think he'll surprise a few people on this thread at least. The MW division is pretty decent at the moment but aside from Martinez I think GGG is going to be the future star of the division if he stays at MW.

He has concussive one punch KO power, from what we've seen a good chin, decent footwork, reasonable technique, a good amateur pedigree and 100% record with a massive KO percentage! Fair enough he hasn't fought the top guys yet but he absolutely battered Proska who was European champion at one point was he not?

He's heading towards a world title shot pretty soon anyway so we'll find out what he's made of soon enough.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

I would go with Barker. He could maybe out-box Golovkin with his slickness and skills. Still very unlikely at best though.

Murray is hard as nails but I doubt even he could stand up to Golovkin's power. Same for Macklin, he likes to slug it out too much and there's no war he'll win a war with him. If he boxes like he did against Martinez then maybe but I doubt it.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEVO View Post
Right just reading through the posts and im getting the conclusion that GGG is up there with cream of the divison, when in reality i reckon Sergio Martinez would rip him another arse hole.
Tell me how the **** people can judge Golovin when he hasnt fought anyone, he is a amazing puncher but look at his last opponent he wasnt exactly a well know boxer i had never heard of the lad..
Yeah mate the hype over GGG is swirling around, If Barker can bash up Martinez face then why cant he give GGG problems even more so if his power has increased
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Barker would have the best chance of outboxing Golovkin imo but could he keep him off for 12 rounds or stay out of harms way? In my opinion, No, he would get stopped late on.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Macklin, Murray and Lee look like relatively easy nights for GGG unless we have got him all wrong. Lee too fragile. Murray just no. Macklin matches up stylistically so well with GGG. I think Barker has the best chance but GGG could definitely get to him late it would be a good fight though.
Lee too fragile? He's never been on the floor amateur or pro.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
Lee too fragile? He's never been on the floor amateur or pro.
Vulnerable would be a better word. He might have a good chin but he's been stopped twice. Golovkin would beat seven shades of shit out of Lee. None of them have any real chance imo.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum