Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #16
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: "Greb one of the truly great middles...his record at this weight below Fitz & Ket

We are on a boxing site, so I'm judging it from sporting writing point of view. Anyway, what does Miami Herald have to do with Miami News? Besides, do you know who Ralph Perry is? Neither did I until I looked it up just now. Sporting editor of Miami News in 1925, filling its pages with write-ups by Associated Press and New York World authors. I'm only guessing, but was the author of the original article Hype Igoe?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #17
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Greb one of the truly great middles...his record at this weight below Fitz & Ket

He certainly wasn't credited. But I don't think it matters where i was published or who wrote it if i'm honest. What i'm interested in is someone writing about Greb in these terms. I would love to see more of these...I know Rose who saw both ranked Ketchel higher but I think that's it.

Yeah, the Miami Herald statistic, I thought i'd copied and pasted the second part. The Wiki article also states that theNews was the "dominant newspaper in Miami for most of the 20th century" although the morning edition of the Herald was seen as competition - that is, the Herald was amongst the biggest papers in a given department, but the News was Miami's dominant newspaper. So piecemeal I would deduce that he News was a pretty hefty newspaper.

But I could be wrong, and wouldn't really care if I was.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #18
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

all 3 have great wins at the weight but imo fitz looks to have the best mw record of the 3 by a hair from greb then ketchell.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #19
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

They competed in Miami city, neither was any good in sporting writing in the 1920s from what I've seen of both (Herald and News).
You'll need to ask SLAKKA or klompton for more write-ups like that. I recall reading a syndicated writer Joe Williams who had a lot of praise for Greb in 1924, comparing him to Fitz, Ryan and Ketchel.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

& he does come off pretty well here overall I think.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #21
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3424

In your opinion, how would Greb fare against Ketchels Middleweight comp?
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #22
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

It's much the same 'old timers were better than the current crop' rose tinted viewpoint
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
They competed in Miami city, neither was any good in sporting writing in the 1920s from what I've seen of both (Herald and News).
You'll need to ask SLAKKA or klompton for more write-ups like that. I recall reading a syndicated writer Joe Williams who had a lot of praise for Greb in 1924, comparing him to Fitz, Ryan and Ketchel.
Even more impressive than Williams, who was too young to recall those palmy days.
Again the name of Emerson Dickerson of the Grand Rapids Herald comes to mind
He wrote up and refereed many championship battles of that day including close to a dozen Greb fights.
He and his brother were very close to Ketchel. All concerned being Michigan men.
In "Dicks" obit of Greb he speaks with certainty that Harry would have beaten Ketchel

Last edited by SLAKKA; 01-29-2013 at 06:25 AM.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #24
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I hate, hate taking obituaries at face value though. I mean if there was ever a time for emotional bias those are them.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Then again "Dick" and his brother were heavily involved with Ketchell
It was on his brothers ranch that he got shot to death.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAKKA View Post
Then again "Dick" and his brother were heavily involved with Ketchell
It was on his brothers ranch that he got shot to death.
For years after Ketchel's death Nat Fleischer had Ketchel ahead of Greb
until a few years before Nat's death he said in his Ring Mag while answering a question Fleischer though Greb would beat Ketchel were they to have fought...Who truly knows ? One of Greb's greatest victory's was
in July, 1925,when Greb fading fast from almost 290 bouts had to lose weight fast to make 160 pounds for his bout with the terrific Mickey Walker. Greb was forced to run around Central Park twice on a hot ,humid
July afternoon, with only sips of orange punch for nourishment, and
surprisingly came into the ring at 158. Old, half blind and weakened by
weight making, Greb proceeded to batter Walker around, finishing the 15th round stronger than the first round...A tough MF was Greb...
burt bienstock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum