Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #31
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Sky Show Big Domestic Showdowns Again With Safe Eddie At The Helm?

I think he can,personly i`m more excited about Crolla-Matthews and Selby- Lyndsey(both good domestic scraps) then i am Groves v Frenchie

Fights that Hearn as lined up so far in 2013
Lee-Fitzgerald
Selby-Lyndsey
Frampton-Martinez
Broner-Rees
Brook-Alexander
Barker -tba
Jones-Purdy
Bellew-Chilemba
Crolla-Matthews
Froch-Kessler
Fights that frank has lined up in 2013 are
Chisora-tba
Groves-Ndaie
Cleverly-Kraniski
Burns-Vasquez
BJS-Hall
Frank had put on a really good show in March,but with most of his big names on one show,he risks a big gap in between big cards.
ashedward is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #32
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Sky Show Big Domestic Showdowns Again With Safe Eddie At The Helm?

Different league in terms of what exactly? Because its certainly not ticket sales, talent or achievements. It's a genuine unification not a fabricated one. It's a fight between two guys in their prime.

You can try to put down the card but that merely highlights your bias. It's a cracking card feat' Britain's best (bar Froch). And it's still better than any Eddie card, by a long stretch.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #33
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashedward View Post
I think he can,personly i`m more excited about Crolla-Matthews and Selby- Lyndsey(both good domestic scraps) then i am Groves v Frenchie

Fights that Hearn as lined up so far in 2013
Lee-Fitzgerald
Selby-Lyndsey
Frampton-Martinez
Broner-Rees
Brook-Alexander
Barker -tba
Jones-Purdy
Bellew-Chilemba
Crolla-Matthews
Froch-Kessler
Fights that frank has lined up in 2013 are
Chisora-tba
Groves-Ndaie
Cleverly-Kraniski
Burns-Vasquez
BJS-Hall
Frank had put on a really good show in March,but with most of his big names on one show,he risks a big gap in between big cards.
You missed Frankie Gavins central area title fight.

Yafai vs Ward, Cardle vs Walsh also made.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #34
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
Different league in terms of what exactly? Because its certainly not ticket sales, talent or achievements. It's a genuine unification not a fabricated one. It's a fight between two guys in their prime.

You can try to put down the card but that merely highlights your bias. It's a cracking card feat' Britain's best (bar Froch). And it's still better than any Eddie card, by a long stretch.
You think Burns vs Vasquez card will sell more tickets than Froch vs Kessler?
You think Burns & Vasquez have achieved more than Froch & Kessler?

Froch has had 8,000 in an arena 4 times. Burns once.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #35
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

Quote:

Can only assume you're trolling.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #36
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
You missed Frankie Gavins central area title fight.

Yafai vs Ward, Cardle vs Walsh also made.
Oh damm i knew i would miss something.Ward is a perfect step up for Yafai
ashedward is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #37
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't troll (very often) but I am playing devil's advocate. I genuinely believe that they are similar but Frank has bigger fights with weaker undercards. Eddie has proven that when he has big fights (Froch-Bute) he also puts on weak undercards. Thing is Eddie HAD to put on a good undercard for Brook in order to sell out the arena.

When has 'Undercard King' Hearn put on a better undercard than VVarren's upcoming show?

When?
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #38
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

It's always worth remembering - if you have a big, expensive main event, the undercard usually suffers. That's not unique to any promoter - I remember some of GBP's PPV cards two-three years back were painful beyond all compare.

Also, the Cotto-Pac card nearly had me sleeping before the main event.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #39
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wink Re: Will Sky Show Big Domestic Showdowns Again With Safe Eddie At The Helm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It's always worth remembering - if you have a big, expensive main event, the undercard usually suffers. That's not unique to any promoter - I remember some of GBP's PPV cards two-three years back were painful beyond all compare.

Also, the Cotto-Pac card nearly had me sleeping before the main event.
This is true. I just get the feeling the regime change at Sky will mean a higher degree of quality control when it comes to PPV boxing, similar to what we have seen with the saturday night show, and that many of you will be suprised at what we see.

Hearn needs the PPV to be a sucess more than he needs the PPV to be a profit. Haye vs Harrison/Klitscko got mega numbers but also mega complaints and pissed of customers. Sky and Hearn might be happier with 200,000 Happy punters than 400,000 unhappy ones in terms of PPVs long term future.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The seperate TV deals will make it harder for the big domestic fights and those are the fights I usually enjoy the most!
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #41
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's hard to keep all the boxing fans happy and ultimately some will prefer it this way to another and vice versa.

Everyone laid into FW for matching Burns against "domestic opposition" last year and generally if a fighter doesn't go to america or fight international names operating at world level then they get lambasted for it, on ESB especially.

But this thread is a complaint that Hearns fighters are more likely to manoeuvre themselves into world title contention fighting ranked international fighters than fighting their domestic (but probably for the most part poorer and lower ranked) rivals? I've never been one to get obsessed with domestic match ups and would rather Brits took on the best abroad personally. There are some natural domestic match ups that I'd like to see like Price/Fury or Barker/Macklin and Frampton/Quigg but I'm happy to see cards that show case a British fighter against an international opponent if that later leads to a world title shot for that same guy.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #42
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
When has 'Undercard King' Hearn put on a better undercard than VVarren's upcoming show?
There isn't a single competitive fight on that undercard though. When Brook fought Jones, there was Hope/Proksa and Rees/Matthews on the bill, both of which were good fights. You'd have favoured Proksa and Rees to win but they weren't complete mismatches. On the Burns undercard, you have Cleverly fighting someone nobody has ever heard of, and Groves fighting a guy who lost to Lolenga Mock. These fights are terrible. All the other fights are against unknown opponents, which means they'll be more mismatches.

The Frank undercard has quantity but there isn't any quality outside of the main event. When Bellew fights Chilemba, there'll be Crolla/Matthews on the undercard, which is far better than anything on the Frank bill. It might not be for the WBO super-duper Euro diamond extravaganza title but at least you know it'll be a war.

Personally, I'd take close, competitive wars over good fighters beating the piss out of overmatched obscure opponents.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #43
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

Agree with jack on this.

It's all well and good having Clev and Groves on the undercard but they're not in good fights.

I'd much rather see competitive fights like Selby/Lindsay Crolla/Matthews Ryder/O'Kane.

The only undercard fight that stands out recently for ****** was Heffron/Vassell, hope he makes these type of fights more often.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

I am noticing that Jack, Marlow and Rob consistently defend Eddie. Could this be a new trend, the promoter nut-hugger?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Proksa v Hope was a cherrypick that backfired for Matchroom. They expected Proksa to walk it.
The Genius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum