Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #76
Mongo Slade

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier Vs. Evander Holyfield..Prime for Prime?

I think this would be a battle. Frazier would come right at Holyfield. Holyfield would have to really put his hands on Frazier, to keep him off him. Both fighters can take a punch, and both had the ability to get up off the floor. I pick Holyfield in late stoppage. I think his combination punching, would be the difference. I don't think Frazier could KO him, but I think it would be a great fight.
Mongo Slade is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #77
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

How did such an amazing thread turn so ****ing retarded? i think the gates to General need to be closed shut. Im surprised they didnt mention Frazier lost to Foreman and Holyfield beat Foreman

I feel Frazier wins this fight, it will be a tough close quarters fight.
Frazier and Tyson have nothing in common so you cant really mention Tyson in this argument other than Holy has a great chin

Holyfields chin keeps him in it, but i think Fraziers endurance, pressure, STAMINA (to those who think he was fat) help him through. Frazier would be in his element here, hes not facing a murderous puncher and he wont have to go far to find Holyfield.

Also, on a seperate note, i feel Holyfield may have better left hook than Frazier.

Joe gets a lot of praise for his knockdown of Ali, but Holyfield (with his left hook) has knocked down Tyson (his only ever one punch knockdown), Bowe, Mercer and he rocked Foreman to the boots in one of the rounds, with a left hook. Holyfields left hook is severly underrated
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #78
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You're falling into the trap of thinking boxing is 'box and move or brawl' but boxing isn't that simple. Holyfield will lead with the jab and back Frazier up and counter punch him. On the outside Holyfield easily picks Frazier off. Allot of the fight will happen on the outside with Holyfield standing his ground.

Holyfield's great technical skills saw him time, countered and back up Tyson before stopping him.

Holyfield is a much better inside and fitter than Ali, Ali was on top for the first 7 rounds too and then Frazier took over

An inside fight is much harder against a man who is 40lbs heavier because they are harder to push backwards, they are more durable and they hit harder.

Also don't mock Holyfield's power, he isn't a KO puncher usually but he hits more than hard enough to back Frazier up, Quarry and Ali backed Frazier up and Holyfield hits harder than them I think. Actually don't be surprised if Frazier is backed up for allot of this fight.

Holyfield's technical skill level is much better than Frazier, that'd be the difference here with Holyfield matching him for stamina and being the bigger man
Whew ! Ok, Holy was not slick defensively, and got hit often, either boxing or brawling. Second, your delusional if you think Holyfield`s inside skills are anywhere near Frazier`s. In Frazier, your talking about probably the best in-fighting heavyweight of them all. Holyfield was NOT a hard puncher, fact! Who said that Frazier had better techinical skiks ???? His heart tenacity, ability to fight in close quarters and, yes steady, heavy body attack gets to Holyfield. I have to laught
when you guys try to compare Frazier with Tyson !!! Two very different fighters, Frazier`s heart actually grew in an all out war. Holy has nithing on Frazier in that Dept. Where as Tyson wilts in a tough, distance fight Frazier would welcome the war. Now Bowe is 40 lbs heavier ?? Prime Bowe, 235. Again I must point out it ain`t the weight, rather how innefective Holy would be against Frazier inside. I do NOT think Holy turns into Larry Homes or Ali, and skirts the edges of the ring while carefully outboxing Frazier. Cooper almost turned the trick and he couldn`t carry Frazier`s spit-bucket. This fight goes one way, all out war. Holyfield is not big enough and does not have Foreman type power to back Joe off. How is Holy going to counterpunch with Frazier`s head in his chest ? Holy isn`t slick enough, and isn`t Foreman. This fight is tough, kind of close but Frazier`s. Late stoppage possible...
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #79
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrenchman View Post
Interesting... but Bowe is 6'5" with an 82" reach and a solid 235-240 Lbs. at his best. Bowe was also quick and athletic. Futch trained both, but they were completely different fighters. Frazier won't be able to lean on Holyfield like Bowe did. Say what you will about Bowe but he remains one of only 3 Lineal HW Champs who never lost by KO/TKO... Tunney and Marciano are the others.
Frazier didn`t `lean` on anyone. He bobbed and weaved his way in, once there his arms and head ket them there. he worked the body steady and hard.until their hands came down. I was not knocking Bowe, who I feel was a helluva fighter. I actually marvel at how effective he was inside giving his height.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #80
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
I'm a big Holy fan but I dont think anyone can win a war of attrition with Frazier without serious firepower. I dont think Holy hits hard enough to deter Joe from swarming forward.

Frazier points over 12, late stoppage over 15.
Great points, this is exactly how I see it...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #81
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holyfield is pretty much better at everything than Frazier... So I just don't see how Joe wins here...
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #82
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Holyfield is pretty much better at everything than Frazier... So I just don't see how Joe wins here...
Inside warfare, bodypunching, aggressive volume puncher. I can`t see Holyfield beating FOTC Frazier... He can`t stop him, and he can`t run for 15 either. Please, no Quawi comparisons...
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #83
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What on earth makes you believe that Frazier is better on the inside than Holy? I disagree with that view. Furthermore, nothing is saying Holy has to fight on the inside anyways.. he's a much and I can't express this eough.. A MUCH better technical fighter than Frazier with more tools in the arsenal. Meaning, he can fight a variety of fights, depending on what's working, and still get the job done. You just named a few things frazier is better at, and some you named he isn't, but I could name more Holy is better at which will be the diffrence imo
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #84
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=KuRuPT;14666523]What on earth makes you believe that Frazier is better on the inside than Holy?

Film footage!
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #85
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What on earth makes you believe that Frazier is better on the inside than Holy? I disagree with that view. Furthermore, nothing is saying Holy has to fight on the inside anyways.. he's a much and I can't express this eough.. A MUCH better technical fighter than Frazier with more tools in the arsenal. Meaning, he can fight a variety of fights, depending on what's working, and still get the job done. You just named a few things frazier is better at, and some you named he isn't, but I could name more Holy is better at which will be the diffrence imo
Are you serious ??? Holyfield better inside than Frazier ?? You lost any credibility with that statement... I needed the laugh, you provided it Please humor me and tell me hopw much better Holyfield is at bodypunching as well ... Did you ever watch superfight 1 ??? Did you see what Frazier did ?? Oh, I forgot, Holyfield is a much better boxer than Ali ...You need to go back and wathc what Bert Coper did with Holy. Yes he came back and beat him, but in the mean time, that styly gave Holyfield some problems. And can you at least see that Coper is not in Frazier`s league ??? You gives s shit about technical ?? Frazier will be out to beat him, not be slicker than him. Holyfield is very hittable You act like he`s the second coming of Willie Pep...Wake up, you really think Holyfield tries to pull the stick and dance move with Frazier ?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #86
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I see you value body work and a left hook upstairs more than I do.. Holyfield in the bigger stronger guy on the inside.. with better combination and better punch variety... Ya know.. the things that make a better inside fighter. I guess two punches makes it for you... Don't worry.. your credibility was already lost with me.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #87
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Frazier has better defence and more power.

That aside Holy has every advantage from size to speed to footwork to combinations. I've watched a lot of Holy today and I think he's better at every range. He can outjab Frazier and he can meet him punch for punch.

I had begun to under appreciate the skill set of Holy but unless he grows old overnight (as he seemed to against MM) he isn't gonna lose to Frazier. Frazier was best against a moving target, weaving his way in. Holy will straight bully him and take his heart away.

Don't be surprised by a late stoppage here.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #88
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Frazier didn`t `lean` on anyone. He bobbed and weaved his way in, once there his arms and head ket them there. he worked the body steady and hard.until their hands came down. I was not knocking Bowe, who I feel was a helluva fighter. I actually marvel at how effective he was inside giving his height.

Damn right W!..especially when most people underestimate those very things......
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #89
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
What other way did Holy ever fight if not on the inside goin toe toe with most of his oponents!...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #90
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Great points, this is exactly how I see it...

Ya!..I couldnt have said it any better!..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum