Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 1000
Default Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

.............prime and most signifigant fights. How would these fights go ?



Ken Norton 1973 v James 'Buster' Douglas 1990
Ken Norton 1973 v George Foreman 1991
Ken Norton 1974 v Bert Cooper 1991
Ken Norton 1974 v Larry Holmes 1992
Ken Norton 1976 v Riddick Bowe 1992



Evander Holyfield 1990 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (first Norton fight)
Evander Holyfield 1991 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (second Norton fight)
Evander Holyfield 1991 v George Foreman 1974
Evander Holyfield 1992 v Muhammad Ali 1976
Evander Holyfield 1992 v Larry Holmes 1978
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
.............prime and most signifigant fights. How would these fights go ?



Ken Norton 1973 v James 'Buster' Douglas 1990- With the shape Buster came in at, I have to go with Norton by late stoppage or wide decision.

Ken Norton 1973 v George Foreman 1991- I feel like, if Norton can avoid be caught with the perfect puch he should be able to handle the slower version of George and take a comfortable decision.

Ken Norton 1974 v Bert Cooper 1991- Interesting one...I think Cooper is not legacy wise on par w/ Norton, but on this night would present a tough opponent....but ultimately I think the likely outcome is Norton...But there could be a shocker or some tough moments along the way.

Ken Norton 1974 v Larry Holmes 1992- Well seeing as how close Norton fought Holmes in real life (I scored it for Holmes), I think Holmes would not be able to match him this time around at this stage. Norton clear decision.

Ken Norton 1976 v Riddick Bowe 1992- Bowe stops him within 3-5.

4-1 for me w/ two scary fights w/ George/Cooper along the way.



Evander Holyfield 1990 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (first Norton fight)- Holyfield can beat this version of Ali for my money.

Evander Holyfield 1991 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (second Norton fight)- Again I like Holy
Evander Holyfield 1991 v George Foreman 1974- I like Holy to stop George around 8 or so.

Evander Holyfield 1992 v Muhammad Ali 1976- I like Holy by an even wider margin.

Evander Holyfield 1992 v Larry Holmes 1978- I like Holmes to take a solid decision.

4-1 for me
Just me take.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Just me take.


Good and interesting post,Philly.


As far as the Ali trilogy goes,I see it like this -


Fight one - Ali by one point.
Fight two - Ali by three points.
Fight two - Holyfield by two points.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Good and interesting post,Philly.


As far as the Ali trilogy goes,I see it like this -


Fight one - Ali by one point.
Fight two - Ali by three points.
Fight two - Holyfield by two points.
LOL, only if he had the same judges as in the Norton fights....Sorry, I had to say it.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
LOL, only if he had the same judges as in the Norton fights....Sorry, I had to say it.

Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

I see a prime Foreman stopping Holyfield around the early/middle session of the fight. In their real bout,the 42 year old Foreman enjoyed most success when they were mixing it up. A prime George would have far more of those moments.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,800
vCash: 500
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Ken Norton 1973 v James 'Buster' Douglas 1990
Norton's would have far to much for a fat and out of shape Douglas. Norton gets to him early, but doesn't finish him off till around the 7/8th
Ken Norton 1973 v George Foreman 1991
Norton should be good enough to do what Michael Moorer did, minus getting knocked out in the 10th. Wide decision for Ken, although the moment George lands something big, Norton's in trouble
Ken Norton 1974 v Bert Cooper 1991
Norton should be good enough to win this. Cooper hit fairly hard though, and Ken struggled with fighters that had elite punching power. There could be a few shaky moments, but Norton would prevail with a fairly comfortable UD
Ken Norton 1974 v Larry Holmes 1992
A no brainer for me. Norton, like Frazier, has one of the best styles to beat Holmes. Deals with Larry more comfortably than Evander did IMO
Ken Norton 1976 v Riddick Bowe 1992
Now this is tricky. I mean Bowe should win, but pinpointing when the fight gets stopped (if at all) is the tricky part. I don't think Bowe hit as hard as Foreman and Shavers, so I think Ken could last till the later rounds, but I definitely see Bowe ending proceedings while up on the cards.

Evander Holyfield 1990 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (first Norton fight)
Evander's combination punching would give Ali trouble. This one would be a serious 50-50 if you ask me, but I think Ali would nick it.
Evander Holyfield 1991 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (second Norton fight)
I like Evander here. If you look at both of their records they both did better in rematches, but I think Holyfield could swarm Ali, which was the best way to beat him, take him to war and grab a close decision
Evander Holyfield 1991 v George Foreman 1974
In Zaire? It's quite possible Evander could survive the relentless pressure if he boxed smart. The moment he tries to go to war (if it's before the 5th) he's done for. I think Holyfield should be smart enough to box Foreman and wear him down, similarly to what Ali did
Evander Holyfield 1992 v Muhammad Ali 1976
Evander has to be favourite in this one. This would be an absolute war and I see Ali giving to many rounds away while taking a breather as he can't keep up with the incredible pace Holyfield could set in his prime. 10-5 UD to Holyfield. A toughly fought decision, but a clear winner
Evander Holyfield 1992 v Larry Holmes 1978
Holyfield by decision and I'll tell you why. Evander could swarm Larry just like Norton did, and taking into account both of their ages, he probably dies it better and more effective than Ken did. Holmes would be with him all the way and could nick it, but I'll give the slight edge to Holy.

Nice thread Stevie boy
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,800
vCash: 500
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I see a prime Foreman stopping Holyfield around the early/middle session of the fight. In their real bout,the 42 year old Foreman enjoyed most success when they were mixing it up. A prime George would have far more of those moments.
I think this would be the case for me as well had it not been in Zaire. Ali still would have beat George in a regular venue, don't get me wrong, but if Evander actually faced George in the RITJ, then I think he takes it if he boxes smart
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Swap around Ken Norton's and Evander Holyfield's.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Ken Norton 1973 v James 'Buster' Douglas 1990
Norton's would have far to much for a fat and out of shape Douglas. Norton gets to him early, but doesn't finish him off till around the 7/8th
Ken Norton 1973 v George Foreman 1991
Norton should be good enough to do what Michael Moorer did, minus getting knocked out in the 10th. Wide decision for Ken, although the moment George lands something big, Norton's in trouble
Ken Norton 1974 v Bert Cooper 1991
Norton should be good enough to win this. Cooper hit fairly hard though, and Ken struggled with fighters that had elite punching power. There could be a few shaky moments, but Norton would prevail with a fairly comfortable UD
Ken Norton 1974 v Larry Holmes 1992
A no brainer for me. Norton, like Frazier, has one of the best styles to beat Holmes. Deals with Larry more comfortably than Evander did IMO
Ken Norton 1976 v Riddick Bowe 1992
Now this is tricky. I mean Bowe should win, but pinpointing when the fight gets stopped (if at all) is the tricky part. I don't think Bowe hit as hard as Foreman and Shavers, so I think Ken could last till the later rounds, but I definitely see Bowe ending proceedings while up on the cards.

Evander Holyfield 1990 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (first Norton fight)
Evander's combination punching would give Ali trouble. This one would be a serious 50-50 if you ask me, but I think Ali would nick it.
Evander Holyfield 1991 v Muhammad Ali 1973 (second Norton fight)
I like Evander here. If you look at both of their records they both did better in rematches, but I think Holyfield could swarm Ali, which was the best way to beat him, take him to war and grab a close decision
Evander Holyfield 1991 v George Foreman 1974
In Zaire? It's quite possible Evander could survive the relentless pressure if he boxed smart. The moment he tries to go to war (if it's before the 5th) he's done for. I think Holyfield should be smart enough to box Foreman and wear him down, similarly to what Ali did
Evander Holyfield 1992 v Muhammad Ali 1976
Evander has to be favourite in this one. This would be an absolute war and I see Ali giving to many rounds away while taking a breather as he can't keep up with the incredible pace Holyfield could set in his prime. 10-5 UD to Holyfield. A toughly fought decision, but a clear winner
Evander Holyfield 1992 v Larry Holmes 1978
Holyfield by decision and I'll tell you why. Evander could swarm Larry just like Norton did, and taking into account both of their ages, he probably dies it better and more effective than Ken did. Holmes would be with him all the way and could nick it, but I'll give the slight edge to Holy.

Nice thread Stevie boy

Thanks I see the Ali of the second Norton fight as the version who would beat Holyfield the most clearly though. Good post,yourself
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013