Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
jimeyboi

vCash: 500
Default Question about getting into amateur boxing

Hey guys, I am no physically ready i believe to join my amateur boxing club here in northern ireland however i have a couple of questions i need answered. I would love to have some amateur fights however I wear glasses when on the computer and watching tv, I can still do these things without my glasses but its not as clear, well lets say this i can drive without glasses and have done for the last 4 years with no problems. I am just wondering if you think my eyesight will be good enough to pass the medical? I wouldnt want to build myself up and then get knocked back so to speak. I have another question over this last year I have diagnosed with Bipolar disorder however i am on medication and everything is fine now but would this also stop me getting past the medical? another thing about my eye is that my left is fantastic it is my right one that is not the best as when i was about 4 years old i had a astigmatism in it and had surgery i have never had any problems since. again will this affect me?

Please get back to me asap thanks
jimeyboi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Question about getting into amateur boxing

I am blind as a bat..i wear soft contacts..disposable..i have boxed on and off for 15 years now...sparred plenty of rounds, had several fights..i have only gotten a lens knocked out a few times..and if that happens....you just keep on fighting and your no worse off than you would be if you hadn't had it in. The only problem can be is if it gets knocked up your eye under your eye lid...i could see having to stop for that...but that has never happened to me. The fights I have had, they never gave me a issue about contacts. I have sparred done mitt work without them..but my eye sight is so bad that I think it does negatively impacts me.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

the bipolar stuff...i dont know about ireland..but i know here it wouldnt matter.....having said that...make sure you keep taking your meds. that is your priority above boxing.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
jimeyboi

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i am on a stable amount of medication now and I have been fine for about a year now. I wouldnt say my eyesight is bad because i can see everything i need to see lol with and without glasses i mean i can drive for gods sake without them and ive never had a crash or even a near crash lol I think part of being bipolar means i overthink things and that is probably what im doing. The bipolar thing doesnt worry me as i think if you doctor says you are mentally fit at that time it would be ok. I think im also paranoid because when i was 17 i applied to join the royal marines and i passed everything except the eye test but i mean they are alot stricter than anyone lol so i think that is always in the back of my mind.

I was talking to a guy and he said all you can do is just give it my best shot, if i fail i can look into training or coaching in my local club...he did say however that they are a little flexible when it comes to the medical/

any other opinions would be great thanks
jimeyboi is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

From what you have said you would be fine in America and the USA Boxing Commission for sure. Not sure how Northern Ireland is..I am guessing the same as the rest of Britain? Hopefully someone from Northern Ireland or at least the other parts of UK can help you out.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
AliShuffle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 575

I'd guess and say you'll be fine, go to your local amateur boxing gym and just ask.

Good luck.
AliShuffle is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
jimeyboi

Thanks again, hopefully somebody ill be able to shed some light on it for me...thanks for you input anyway
jimeyboi is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
AliShuffle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A lad at my gym was sparring and got his contact knocked back behind his eye actually, he didn't even feel it though, thought it fell out!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliShuffle View Post
A lad at my gym was sparring and got his contact knocked back behind his eye actually, he didn't even feel it though, thought it fell out!
I had that happen once from just rubbing my eye hard and it hurt like a bitch....(well more just uncomfortable to a highly annoying level) but never had it happen in a fight or sparring..but maybe in those situations I wouldnt even notice it either...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
AliShuffle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not sure, I'd expect you'd feel it but we were all looking on the floor to find it before he found it behind his eye haha
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

I wear contacts, too. Last week, I got hit and one of my contacts ended up off the front of my eyeball, lodged further up on my eye. Unless you're a defensive genius, it seems like getting your contact knocked out during a fight is inevitable.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

There was a kid at my gym that always got his contacts knocked out and would be on the floor looking for them all the time lol I dont think its common I think that was just him but it was funny
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I've had my contact fall out, and fall back into my eye. It happens probably 20% of the time I wear contacts during sparring. I now take them off. My eyesight is pretty bad (can't drive w/out lenses) but for sparring/competing - it's fine.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

As long as you can see them letters on the board they show you...you'll be fine
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Speechless
Contender