Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default PED use in boxing - Is it particularly an American based problem?

It seems like we can't go a week without another American based disgrace being outed for being a PED cheat, i'm not just talking about American fighters but foreign fighters as well who fight in America and are either based their, trained their, or have trainers and medical teams from the US.

The shambolic list seems to go on, first started by the Roy Jones revelation when drug testing in professional american boxing first began, to the likes of Toney, Mosley, Vargas, Holyfield, Peterson, Tarver, Berto, Morales, Gamboa etc, along with the strongly suspicious cases of the likes of Pacquiao, Hopkins, Tyson and Marquez etc.

My own personal opinion is that American based boxing thoughout the 1990s and 2000s was absolutely drenched in PED use with American boxers thoughout these decades taking huge advantage of the lapse testing involved with boxing in a similar way to the American track and field team were having positive test's covered up, its pretty obvious that the few who have been caught is just the tip of the iceberg.

My question to you is

- Do you believe that this PED use has mainly been an American based problem in boxing? If not, why not?
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
markq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: PED use in boxing - Is it particularly an American based problem?

We Americans hold our athletes to a higher standard. We'll stand behind them but if they're ever found to be a cheat, they get discarded like trash like Lance, Barry Bonds ... In America, catching someone cheating is big news and it gets reported. In other countries, catching someone and reporting it may likely be the death of you. Do you think anyone will report Pacquiao cheating in Southern Philippines? Journalists get killed just for reporting unbiased news there. Anybody with a brain has to know there's equal if not higher chance of using it to make more $ in impoverished countries.
markq is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

How rigid is the testing in Europe? Steroids in sports go back to the Soviet bloc in the 1950s, so I'm sure they haven't disappeared over there.

Obviously, where there is more testing there will be more positive tests.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markq View Post
We Americans hold our athletes to a higher standard. We'll stand behind them but if they're ever found to be a cheat, they get discarded like trash like Lance, Barry Bonds ... You rarely read about drug use in other countries yet anybody with a brain knows there's equal if not higher chance of using it to make more $ in impoverished countries.

I'm not sure I agree with that, Americans know that the likes of Jones, Toney, Mosley, Carl Lewis, Marion Jones, FloJo are an an absolute disgrace to sport, yet I very rarely here any Americans condem them, 95% of the time all i hear is excuses and PED apologist thoeries, backed by American governing bodies who are prepared to keep positive PED results behind closed doors.

On the other hand Britain had an athlete in Dwain Chambers who was found guilty of steroids and he was slaughtered and hated upon throughout Britain and even when he had served something like a compulsary 4 year ban by the IOC, the British governing body in athletics fought to extend his ban to a lifetime one so he could never represent us again. There seems to be a huge difference in culture as to how Britain and America treat an outed drug cheat.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

no it's not. that question is absurd. if they're doing it here, there's no reason to believe they aren't doing it all over.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that, Americans know that the likes of Jones, Toney, Mosley, Carl Lewis, Marion Jones, FloJo are an an absolute disgrace to sport, yet I very rarely here any Americans condem them, 95% of the time all i hear is excuses and PED apologist thoeries, backed by American governing bodies who are prepared to keep positive PED results behind closed doors.

On the other hand Britain had an athlete in Dwain Chambers who was found guilty of steroids and he was slaughtered and hated upon throughout Britain and even when he had served something like a compulsary 4 year ban by the IOC, the British governing body in athletics fought to extend his ban to a lifetime one so he could never represent us again. There seems to be a huge difference in culture as to how Britain and America treat an outed drug cheat.

I felt disgusted watching Dwain Chambers represent Team GB in the olympics - that man has no place on a professional sprinting track.

Similarly, I wonder how fans of fighters who are confirmed PEDs cheats can continue to watch, support and defend them!? Just like Dwain Chambers on a sprinting track, these cheats have no place in a boxing ring.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
How rigid is the testing in Europe? Steroids in sports go back to the Soviet bloc in the 1950s, so I'm sure they haven't disappeared over there.

Thats a good question, it would be interesting to see how rigid the PED testing is in europe in comparison.

I think the steroid use in the Soviet block is way different to todays PED use and much easier detected.

Just seems to me that there are many American based boxers from the past who you could look at and think something was going on (eg Jones and Holyfield) and plus there is evidence to support your governing bodies have been happy to cover cheating up.

Out of interest, which european fighters (past or present) would you suspect of being drug cheats (bar the Klitchsko's)?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 160

America is the home of drugs. $$$.
miniq is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
no it's not. that question is absurd. if they're doing it here, there's no reason to believe they aren't doing it all over.
What makes you say that?

Do you believe our sports have governing bodies that are happy to cover positive drug tests up?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Pimp C
I Ain't Got No Worries
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Quote:
It seems like we can't go a week without another American based disgrace being outed for being a PED cheat, i'm not just talking about American fighters but foreign fighters as well who fight in America and are either based their, trained their, or have trainers and medical teams from the US.

The shambolic list seems to go on, first started by the Roy Jones revelation when drug testing in professional american boxing first began, to the likes of Toney, Mosley, Vargas, Holyfield, Peterson, Tarver, Berto, Morales, Gamboa etc, along with the strongly suspicious cases of the likes of Pacquiao, Hopkins, Tyson and Marquez etc.

My own personal opinion is that American based boxing thoughout the 1990s and 2000s was absolutely drenched in PED use with American boxers thoughout these decades taking huge advantage of the lapse testing involved with boxing in a similar way to the American track and field team were having positive test's covered up, its pretty obvious that the few who have been caught is just the tip of the iceberg.

My question to you is

- Do you believe that this PED use has mainly been an American based problem in boxing? If not, why not?
****ing hilarious how you leave all the other countries fighter's off just to further your pathetic agenda. Wach of Poland just tested positive for roids but you left him out because it didn't suit your agenda.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Do you think stricter testing is one of the reasons so few American fighters ever have the courage to fight abroad in comparison to warriors like George Groves and Nathan Cleverly?
purephase is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
I felt disgusted watching Dwain Chambers represent Team GB in the olympics - that man has no place on a professional sprinting track.

Similarly, I wonder how fans of fighters who are confirmed PEDs cheats can continue to watch, support and defend them!? Just like Dwain Chambers on a sprinting track, these cheats have no place in a boxing ring.
Thats a terrific post and I whole-heartedly agree with you're sincere statement. I couldn't ever imagine giving my support to a drug cheat or ever try and defend the athlete with monotonous well thought out damage limitation theories.

I noticed recently in the lounge that there was still many American's defending Lance Armstrong and trying to maintain his innocence prior to his grovelling admission before the queen of chat Oprah Winfrey.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
dendy
no easy way out
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post

Before the mack fight froch went on record stating that the testers turned up at his house unannounced at 7am in the morning to carry out a random blood test. Not saying this is common but it looks to be that random testing is in place over here.

Seeing as we are talking boxing, are you under the impression that there is more testing in America? To my knowledge the only random blood testing done is when fighters request that USADA run the tests prior to a fight?
dendy is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
What makes you say that?

Do you believe our sports have governing bodies that are happy to cover positive drug tests up?
no. the steps that need to be taken, however, to even expose ped use, probably arent being made.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C View Post
****ing hilarious how you leave all the other countries fighter's off just to further your pathetic agenda. Wach of Poland just tested positive for roids but you left him out because it didn't suit your agenda.

Relax Pimp C, Wach is an absolute ****ing disgrace to the sport of boxing. Please try and enter this discussion topic with an open mind and not a defensive anger, we are here to discuss boxing in an open and neutral manner. Please continue in this thread if you can leave your bitter ranting behind.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum