Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Azumah Nelson @ SFW/JLW

I find it difficult to rate the bastard divisions and have never done so before...Rumsfeld mentioned the possibility fo going that rout so I thought I might as well...

Has anyone done a top 10 SFW/JLW list? If so where does Azumah rank on it????

How highly do you think of him at this weight? From 88-94 he was in the eyes of many the best SFW/JLW in the world...how highly do you rate him here?

How does he fare against:

Barney Ross
Flash Elorde
Limon
Chacon
Boza Edwards
Camacho
Chavez
Lockridge
Tony Lopez
Brian Mitchell
Molina
Gatti
MAB/Morales/Pac/JMM
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Azumah Nelson @ SFW/JLW

I had Fenech beating him in the first fight.

I think his best showing was the 2nd fight with Villasana, he was taking the piss. That was at 126 actually. I'm sure I have one of the Nelson-Martinez fights but here he struggled big time in one of 'em and would've remembered that I think. So maybe I don't have that one or am misremembering.

Obviously he'd beat punch bags Limon and Chacon, tough they'd give it their all as always until they're stopped.

Last edited by Flea Man; 01-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I've got a top ten.

Will post when I'm back at my computer.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Do people rate Nelson as an ATG or...?
Garrus is online now  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I find him pretty hard to rank. I need to rectify that and rewatch everything I have of him when I get back off holiday, I find him to be a hot and cold viewing experience.

I don't rate his win over Gomez all that highly.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post

I think his best showing was the 2nd fight with Villasana, he was taking the piss. That was at 126 actually. I'm sure I have one of the Nelson-Martinez fights but here he struggled big time in one of 'em and would've remembered that I think. So maybe I don't have that one or am misremembering.

Obviously he'd beat punch bags Limon and Chacon, tough they'd give it their all as always until they're stopped.
Nelson has always been one of my favorites....I did not know much about Fenech, and thought he would be easy pickings as I sat down to prepare myself for Tyson vs Ruddock....This fight however stole the show, and Fenech stole my card as well. I have never been so upset to see my guy win (OK draw) a fight he did not deserve. Upon rewatches I still score for Fenech but not as widely as I did that night.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

He was a beast, physically everything you could want from a fight, 1 of those monstrously strong, yet athletic and very fit fighter with an iron chin. Technically sound but not allot of finesse in his work, but even if you start to outbox you he could catch up with you. You really have to be strong enough to keep him off and fit enough to keep up with him.

He's 1 of the few who stand a chance against Mayweather, if Mayweather stands stationary and let's Nelson be first or looks to exchange. If Nelson gets Mayweather in the pocket he'd out punch him in the exchanges. I'd still favour Mayweather with the right gameplan

Nelson Arguello is a good one, Arguello a better technician, Nelson decent in that regard and faster with a higher workrate

I'm not a fan but he'd overwhelm weaker SFWs and more so FWs

Quote:

I don't rate his win over Gomez all that highly.
Why's that?

Quote:
Yea he lost that, although he has better excuses than most, wasn't he recovering from Malaria at the time? That's what people say
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

He was inconsistent at 130, especially after the Whitaker fight.Though a fair amount of those latter efforts could be chalked up to him being on the decline by then.He certainly wasn't looking as strong as his reputation against Fenech(a smaller man) or Laporte.

Still capable of being excellent on his night.Fenech rematch was his last real elite performance, though both bouts have their stories about how they turned out the way they did.You could include the Ruelas rematch, but don't think Gabe was ever the same fighter after the Garcia death.

The run from Martinez to moving up and fighting Whitaker was his prime period there.He could still be a bit Toney-esque in his efforts though.Martinez and to a lesser extent Suarez were fine fighters, yet i'm not sure he should really have had quite the issues he did with them.Took a while to get going against McDonell as well, but eventually horribly mangled him.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Great K.O against McDonnell.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think he's an ATG. What he had that was great was physical strength and stamina. I think he was a good boxer but had some limitations/flaws that would be exposed buy exceptional technicians. I don't think his footwork was great, he threw a lot of wide punches, and he squared up a lot.
I certainly rate him higher than Camacho as a fighter, but Camacho at 130 could be a nightmare for Nelson. Chavez woul be a great matchup but I think Chavez's underrated defense and slickness inside edges it. But guys who are there to be hit from around his era like Lockridge, McGuigan, Mitchell he beats. Fenech was a beast in his own right, but I generally don't think that's the blueprint to beating Nelson.

Last edited by natonic; 01-30-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post

How does he fare against:

Barney Ross
Flash Elorde
Limon
Chacon
Boza Edwards
Camacho
Chavez
Lockridge
Tony Lopez
Brian Mitchell
Molina
Gatti
MAB/Morales/Pac/JMM
Losses:
Barney Ross
Camacho
Chavez

Tossup:
MAB
Pac
JMM

I think he beats all the rest. I rate Morales, just don't think it's a good matchup for him.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

PowerPuncher: because Gomez wasn't all that as a feather and was even less of a fighter post-Sanchez and Pintor fights.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Azumah Nelson, "The Professor", was no doubt an all time great fighter, be it at 126 or 130. Although in my opinion he was more zestier at 126 than he was at 130 he definitely had some memorable performances in both weight classes.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Do people rate Nelson as an ATG or...?
Not an ATG to me....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
He was a beast, physically everything you could want from a fight, 1 of those monstrously strong, yet athletic and very fit fighter with an iron chin. Technically sound but not allot of finesse in his work, but even if you start to outbox you he could catch up with you. You really have to be strong enough to keep him off and fit enough to keep up with him.

He's 1 of the few who stand a chance against Mayweather, if Mayweather stands stationary and let's Nelson be first or looks to exchange. If Nelson gets Mayweather in the pocket he'd out punch him in the exchanges. I'd still favour Mayweather with the right gameplan

Nelson Arguello is a good one, Arguello a better technician, Nelson decent in that regard and faster with a higher workrate

I'm not a fan but he'd overwhelm weaker SFWs and more so FWs

Why's that?

Yea he lost that, although he has better excuses than most, wasn't he recovering from Malaria at the time? That's what people say
I do think if Nelson was showing any signs of being affected by malaria he wouldn't have fought. That's not an easy thing to disguise is it? Look at the drubbing he took.

I actually think it's quite close in rounds, Nelson has a fair amount of success punching it out with Jeff. The 12th round sums it up.

If Nelson was sick at all in Fenech's defence he had no hands
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum