Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default New Generation of British Heavyweights

I was having a look at Boxrec and noticed that there's a few undefeated young fighters in the country at the moment. Are any of them any good?

David Dolan, Sam ***ton, Chris Burton, Derek Chisora are all young and undefeated. Are these guys going to replace the turgid Skelton, Sprott, Harrison and Williams generation?

The only one I've seen is David Dolan, who i saw as an amatuer, and he looks half-decent. The rest are a mystery to me.
Words is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
rooq
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: New Generation of British Heavyweights

derek chisora has some skills, but he isn't hard-hitting, and is a bit of a dirty bastid.

i'm sure i've seen sam ***ton and chris burton a few times before but can't remember much detail. which probably means i wasn't very impressed.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
dwilson

vCash:

David Dolan is pretty impressive and hopefully if managed righth will make a decent heavyweight. I can not ever see him getting onto the world stage but that is always hard to tell at his level of progress.

Derek Chisora has skill but lacks a punch of note, another guy who will prob make our domestic scene tick over without really being good enough for the best.

I do not think I have seen too much of ***ton so I can not really comment.

Chris Burton is my personal favorite of the bunch, he is a big lad with good skill and a good punch. Again doubts over his long term potential but if managed right I think he may turn out to be the pick of the bunch. He is one of the few British heavy's I have seen and got excited about recently.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

What happened to Scot Belshaw? Frank Maloney was saying he was the next big thing but he got beat by some bum recently. I liked the idea of a 6ft7 240lbs fighter who was in shape fighting on the scene.
Words is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words
What happened to Scot Belshaw? Frank Maloney was saying he was the next big thing but he got beat by some bum recently. I liked the idea of a 6ft7 240lbs fighter who was in shape fighting on the scene.
Yep he got his first defeat, a bad one too. No way is he done but I doubt he will be doing anything like what they thought he could. Very disapointing.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
UK2004
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I was at the same amateur gym as Derek when he won his ABA title, he never struck me as being that talented, he does have some power but has to really load up to deliver it, too long in my opinion to let it go in a fight, seemed quite slow aroudn the ring as well but he is fit but probably could be lighter.
UK2004 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2004
I was at the same amateur gym as Derek when he won his ABA title, he never struck me as being that talented, he does have some power but has to really load up to deliver it, too long in my opinion to let it go in a fight, seemed quite slow aroudn the ring as well but he is fit but probably could be lighter.
Yep. He does not look a big heavy weight in height or frame. Maybe he could get to cruiser where he may have more power and with the current domestic scene being light more of a chance.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
UK2004
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He was I think 17 stone when I was there but with getting the fat off probably could boil down to cruiser and might quicken up from it.
UK2004 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2004
He was I think 17 stone when I was there but with getting the fat off probably could boil down to cruiser and might quicken up from it.
I really hate this idea that you have to be fat bastard to be able to fight at heavy. Imagine how different Danny Williams may have been if he kept te weight off.

Derek just does not look big enough to carry that type of weight and be able to fight to his potential.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycaz
Has that Roman Greenberg had any decent fights yet? Is he still undefeated?

I was thinking they were trying to get him like 35+ without defeat so he'd look like a half decent opponent for one of the World Champs to blast out.
27 - 0, over 6 years into his pro career, and still fighting guys are barely good enough to fight for an Area title.

Its a shame really, because he does seem to have some ability, but we won't know until he's properly tested. only 25 years old though, so maybe he will step up eventually.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Greenberg is horrible.

He just seems to be plain average at best in every department. Besides hes not even British anyway.

I am keen to see some of these guys in action though....some new blood to freshen up this tired old scene would be much appreciated.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Greenberg is a plodder. Most top 10 HW's would beat him easily.

The guy is going no where.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
CANNONBALL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Derek Chisora,a Poor Mans Hughroy Currie
CANNONBALL is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
GazOC