Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marcel Cedan

His unfortunate loss and subsequent death, but as mentioned maybe he was near the end anyway? He still deserved a Lamotta rematch

People forget he was first a WW champ and he nearly fought Henry Armstrong at WW. I think he probably beats the smaller man and comes to fame a little earlier

As a boxer he's a very good inside puncher, but coming inside he's a bit crude more walking in quite slowly without a jab. He slipped allot of Zales punches but against someone quicker and sharper I think his defence would be a bit stiff and it was against Lamotta
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Marcel Cedan

Delete
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: Marcel Cedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
No way mate! The top 3 rarely mentioned fighters are Ho Joo, Ray Minus and Hitler The Killer obviously.
Ray Minus beat Paul Ferreri who in 1979 had lost to Carlos Zarate. Hey presto....Ray Minus discussion
Bollox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,486
vCash: 2000
Default Re: Marcel Cedan

I kind of see him as underrated, actually. He often gets relegated to a footnote in Jake's career (and he was more competitive in that loss than many purport)
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Marcel Cedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Ray Minus beat Paul Ferreri who in 1979 had lost to Carlos Zarate. Hey presto....Ray Minus discussion
Ferreri beat Borkorsor too, and Minus lost to Orlando Canizales and Israel Contreras.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Marcel Cedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
It's CeRdan.

Only fought the 'best' when they were long in the tooth. I actually expected a more conventional boxer puncher type so when I was first saw him barge through Zale I was surprised.

I see him ranked in top 100 P4P lists and top 10 middleweight lists too much for my liking. So I'd say he was overrated, even if he may well have gone on to prove himself more if he hadn't died.
I know it's Cerdan. I was rushing to post because I had to leave.

I liked what I saw against Zale. Looked very classy throwing those double, triple left hooks upstairs.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

No worries you made the same mistake in the OP as well so was trying to help you out.

I was impressed too until I realised what a corpse Zale was at that point. For aesthetics Cerdan's devastation of Dick Turpin is a good watch.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Used to watch Cerdan spar Italo Scortachini (who was a pretty damn good middlewight) at Jake LaMotta's gym in the Bronx.

Cerdan was charismatic when took off his headgear. Everybody in the gym gravitated to him, like they did Graziano at Stillman's.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,486
vCash: 2000
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Used to watch Cerdan spar Italo Scortachini (who was a pretty damn good middlewight) at Jake LaMotta's gym in the Bronx.

Cerdan was charismatic when took off his headgear. Everybody in the gym gravitated to him, like they did Graziano at Stillman's.
Interesting, John. So Marcel & Jake had each other pretty well scouted from training in close proximity then? Did they ever spar before they fought?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #25
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Interesting, John. So Marcel & Jake had each other pretty well scouted from training in close proximity then? Did they ever spar before they fought?
Good observation, IB, but I never saw them spar, only floor exercises 'n shadow boxing.

From having been around Jake for many years, he wouldn't have altered what he was gonna do, even if it was a truck.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
No worries you made the same mistake in the OP as well so was trying to help you out.

I was impressed too until I realised what a corpse Zale was at that point. For aesthetics Cerdan's devastation of Dick Turpin is a good watch.
Appreciate it, San.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,486
vCash: 2000
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Good observation, IB, but I never saw them spar, only floor exercises 'n shadow boxing.

From having been around Jake for many years, he wouldn't have altered what he was gonna do, even if it was a truck.
But Cerdan, maybe he was able to gather some intel on the Bull from getting a close look?

Maybe without the injury he could've exploited a thing or two?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
But Cerdan, maybe he was able to gather some intel on the Bull from getting a close look?

Maybe without the injury he could've exploited a thing or two?
Never thought of it, but absolutely true, IB.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Injury?
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Default Re: Marcel Cerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Injury?
His hurt shoulder
Surf-Bat is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013