Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #31
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooboys View Post
U don't have to like the man. But call it how it is. There has been no one ever who's been at the elite level like him in 2 completely different sports. One of them the greatest sport of all boxing
Someone already said Keith Miller.

VFL star and state representative with St Kilda before abandoning football to become Australia's greatest cricketing all-rounder and one of the inaugural "legends" of Australian cricket. Miller was truly elite at two vastly differing sports more so than Anthony anyway.
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #32
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 292
vCash: 2524
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This guy is not in Mundine's league at all. But, Won premierships in both codes DURING Choc's career in both sports. Funniest part is, he doesn't yearn respect.
Crows fan at the airport had a word to him and the story goes, "If you say that one more time I'll whack you."
So he did. And he did.

Last edited by Nigelbro; 01-29-2013 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #33
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
Palmer would have worn Choc out by making him miss, and counter punching him. Palmer's lightening left jab would have provided an easy means of defusing a Choc attack.

Very difficult to try to rate and compare fighters of today with fighters of seven decades ago.

Palmer once fought 3 x 15 round bouts in a period of 23 days !!!!
and his opponents, fighters like: Jack Hains, Jack Omaley, Fred Henneberry, Young Stribling (and he spotted Stribling 20 kilo in weight - don't think choc would ever do this), Ron Richards, etc.

You just cannot compare the older brew to the younger brew.

Oldies win hands down every time IMO. I tend to think that the difficult times they faced each other, the roundage, the weight differences between middleweights, who would take on heavyweights....

Palmer would have beaten Chock and his dad on the same night, tooooo experienced, toooo smart in ring craft, tooooo nice a bloke to ever tell you so.

There's a reason fighters of old could fight 3 x 15 rounders in a month, it's called a lack of intensity and athleticism. They were essentially marathon runners in a boxing ring, no explosiveness, just two guys who train like grandmas playing rock em sock em robots in the ring. Old school boxers and training have gone the way of the dinosaur for good reason. They could give up massive weight advantages because the bigger guys trained like idiots as well, running in boots and avoiding weights in case they accidentally became an athlete with power.
dealt_with is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #34
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
They were essentially marathon runners in a boxing ring, no explosiveness, just two guys who train like grandmas playing rock em sock em robots in the ring. Old school boxers and training have gone the way of the dinosaur for good reason. They could give up massive weight advantages because the bigger guys trained like idiots as well, running in boots and avoiding weights in case they accidentally became an athlete with power.
idiot.
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #35
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
idiot.
The irony.
dealt_with is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #36
atigerofold
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 275
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ambrose palmer. better athlete/fighter than mundine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin regarding Dealt_with View Post
idiot.
Very well 'dealt with' swingin...
atigerofold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013