tyewil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 677
Default Re: Gamboa - doper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydrinks View Post
Well why shouldn't they?
Damages later life, would should someone have to dope to be able to compete.

it would be more a chemistry test than athletic competition
tyewil is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
How is it any different to bouts being decided by who has access to better coaching or better nutrition like it is now?
This is a good point, and there will never be a level playing field with or without doping, but making PEDS legal would pretty much force the clean athletes to dope even if they did not want to. They would have very valid concerns about their long term health but would have to risk it or be forced out of the game. That's not fair, and that's why making PEDS legal is a bad idea.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
happydrinks
@elPrincipeFeliz
ESB Addict

vCash: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyewil View Post
Damages later life, would should someone have to dope to be able to compete.

it would be more a chemistry test than athletic competition
Steady, controlled use of testosterone will actually help your health in later life.

Taking testosterone is more natural than drinking protein shakes.
happydrinks is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

not suprised these days when peoples names come up
for some reason i still think Mayweather will caught and it will be released when he retires or years in the future
its a shame when u find someone has been using them because then u wonder if they won all their fights whilst on them
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
happydrinks
@elPrincipeFeliz
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
This is a good point, and there will never be a level playing field with or without doping, but making PEDS legal would pretty much force the clean athletes to dope even if they did not want to. They would have very valid concerns about their long term health but would have to risk it or be forced out of the game. That's not fair, and that's why making PEDS legal is a bad idea.
The athletes who don't want to dope won't have to dope when it's legal just like they don't have to now. It's not like the world's top clean sprinters would be bowled over with surprise if a couple of suspect Jamaicans were found to be doping.

If they want to stay 'clean' they can stay clean but they should expect to get left behind just like a weightlifter would expect to get left behind if he decided he didn't want to use protein shakes or drink caffeine for some energy in training.

I don't get the ethical response to using PEDs at all. In my opinion they are just the next step in the evolution of sports science and I really don't see why they should be looked down upon as worse than taking a pain killer or drinking alcohol.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
DavetheSlave

vCash: 500

Quote:
Steady, controlled use of testosterone will actually help your health in later life.

Taking testosterone is more natural than drinking protein shakes.
Testosterone is linked with increased blood pressure and cholesterol.

To assert that it is more natural then a protein shake is just lunacy.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

PEDs should be legal for anyone BUT athletes, IMO.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
happydrinks
@elPrincipeFeliz
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheSlave View Post
Testosterone is linked with increased blood pressure and cholesterol.

To assert that it is more natural then a protein shake is just lunacy.
Testosterone is produced in your body. It doesn't get more natural than that.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #24
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Best edit that to "alleged doper".
Oh shit, you did.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The athletes who don't want to dope won't have to dope when it's legal just like they don't have to now. It's not like the world's top clean sprinters would be bowled over with surprise if a couple of suspect Jamaicans were found to be doping.

If they want to stay 'clean' they can stay clean but they should expect to get left behind just like a weightlifter would expect to get left behind if he decided he didn't want to use protein shakes or drink caffeine for some energy in training.

I don't get the ethical response to using PEDs at all. In my opinion they are just the next step in the evolution of sports science and I really don't see why they should be looked down upon as worse than taking a pain killer or drinking alcohol.

The pressure to dope would increase massively. Coaches, promoters, nutritonists, strength and conditioning coaches would pretty much all say "look, do you want to win or not?" Right now it's easier for the athletes to say no. If things changed, they feel guilty for not doing everything it takes to win, because now it's legal and they have no moral high ground to stand on anymore. They can't use the "it's illegal and unfair" excuse anymore.

I mean, maybe you could argue that the same is true today. If most athletes are doping then there is already a huge pressure to dope, but we don't know for sure how common it is. We don't know if most athletes are doping or if it's just a small percentage. I mean....I don't know man.

Your claim about testosterone being safe to take in the long run, I'm not sure if it's even true. Haven't done much reading on the subject, but c'mon brah, do you honestly think they would stop at testosterone? The side effects of PEDS including but not limited to testosterone are well documented, and even if there is a "safe" amount to take, do you really see athletes being that responsible about their health or will they just do whatever it takes to be at their best-and if that means juicing up to the eyeballs then so be it?

As for the ethical argument, when it comes to sports it's perfectly valid. I view it as cheating. This doesn't mean I don't respect these guys as athletes. Lance Armstrong is still a badass athlete even though he doped, but he was a cheat. Yeah, others were doping also, but not everyone was, so it's still an unfair advantage. Outside of sports, it's different. If you're not a competitive athlete then PED use is not immoral or wrong IMO. As long as you're not competing, it's not much different to taking supplements. If you're just a guy who goes to the gym to lift weights and want to take PEDS so you can make rapid gains in strength and size, train harder, recover quicker etc, then there's not a whole lot wrong with that. At least not morally. A lot of people will look down on it still, and it has that stigma, but it doesn't really make sense. But then even if it's not morally wrong, you're still putting your health on the line.

I personally would not take PEDs, just because I'm worried about the effects on health. Nothing to do with morals, because I'm not a professional athlete.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

Default Re: Gamboa - allegedly used PEDs

I think I made a comment in the general once about him being stacked like **** and covered in acne but was told this is the same for all Cubans.
shaunster101 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

This is David Walsh, the Sunday Times journalist explaining why you should never just allow doping in sports. Well worth a watch for his perspective.

BORKED
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #28
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

im surprised Nadal's name isn't mentioned yet..
JIM KELLY is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KELLY View Post
im surprised Nadal's name isn't mentioned yet..
He was blatantly working with Fuentes who is on trial in Spain in a case that has clearly involved a large scale cover up.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #30
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster101 View Post
He was blatantly working with Fuentes who is on trial in Spain in a case that has clearly involved a large scale cover up.
true and i just found the spain/cover up thread in the lounge. Very interesting.
JIM KELLY is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum