Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #61
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP

vCash: 740
Default Re: Canelo Says Cotto A Possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divi253 View Post
He's not fighting a live opponent until he's guaranteed a huge payday in case he loses. Just sad he's able to do that shit at this young of an age and stage of his career... If he's waiting for his cash out fight now, what will the future hold? Do we think after he gets a big money fight with Mayweather he'll decide he wants to fight the best around him the rest of his career?
Interesting point. Oscar De La Hoya is one of the few fighters in the history of the sport who took on everyone, even after he was commanding million dollar pay days.

But Canelo is not as talented as DLH, but who is for that matter?
IsaL is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaL View Post
Interesting point. Oscar De La Hoya is one of the few fighters in the history of the sport who took on everyone, even after he was commanding million dollar pay days.

Not even about talent, I don't care if he wins or loses the big fights. I just don't think he'll take on the bigger challenges after he gets a taste of what a BIG payday is. He should fight Trout and other big names around his division, worry about the money later as it'll come. He's got plenty of years, and it's obvious they're (HBO, Goldenboy) grooming him to be a big star.

I'd just hate to see him cash out against Mayweather right now, then feel it's his right to earn that much fighting just anyone later in his career. If he can command that type of money, he has no motivation to fight the best, but his own motivation.. And the way he's seeking out the money right now, I don't think he'll have the motivation to fight the best.

Could be wrong, guess we'll have to see. Just don't like the early signs.
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #63
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic View Post
Former 140lber - Check
Been on a bad run - check
Avoid a more legit threat - check

Sounds good.
canelo making his title defense against the loser of a fight as opposed to the winner(molina/cintron;lara/williams;trout/cotto) - checkmate
Quincy K is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #64
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP

vCash: 740

Quote:
Not even about talent, I don't care if he wins or loses the big fights. I just don't think he'll take on the bigger challenges after he gets a taste of what a BIG payday is. He should fight Trout and other big names around his division, worry about the money later as it'll come. He's got plenty of years, and it's obvious they're (HBO, Goldenboy) grooming him to be a big star.

I'd just hate to see him cash out against Mayweather right now, then feel it's his right to earn that much fighting just anyone later in his career. If he can command that type of money, he has no motivation to fight the best, but his own motivation.. And the way he's seeking out the money right now, I don't think he'll have the motivation to fight the best.

If he beats Mayweather, then he rightly deserves the torch, and deserves the biggest money fights. If he loses, I doubt he will be as priviliaged as he is now and will have to face the challenges fans want him to fight.

Fighting Mayweather isn't as bad as one may think imo.
IsaL is online now  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #65
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

I know this is a boxing site and we need stuff to talk about, but how about waiting to criticize the kid once we actually know his opponent?

Nobody can dispute he's had a soft run up until now and we should all be frustrated with it, but (and here's where boxing builds me up to let me down time and again) this might be the time he steps up.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #66
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaL View Post

And Canelo isn't the draw DLH was.
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #67
PhilthyRich
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy K View Post
mexico versus puerto rico, huh?

uh, canelo already used up that free pass with kermit cintron.

nice try, though.

now that weve exhausted the Puerto rico/Mexico angle as well as the ludicrous "torch fight" theory you nuthuggers have anything else you want to bring to the table?

perhaps canelo can fight joshua clottey?

gbp still hasnt used the Mexican/Ghanaian angle.
canelo think's he might lose to clottey so he's duckin him as well. Clottey won his comeback fight at 154 but doesn't get a chance, but somehow mosely and looking like cotto are
PhilthyRich is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #68
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
And Canelo isn't the draw DLH was.
If he beats Floyd he would be. But he's so much more manufactured than DLH or Floyd or Pac, it's a long drawn out setup.
lester proctor is online now  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #69
duwdu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
He's not fighting a live opponent until he's guaranteed a huge payday in case he loses. Just sad he's able to do that shit at this young of an age and stage of his career... If he's waiting for his cash out fight now, what will the future hold? Do we think after he gets a big money fight with Mayweather he'll decide he wants to fight the best around him the rest of his career?
This sums it up for me w.r.t Canelo at this time.

P34c3
duwdu is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #70
duwdu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Very solid thinking, and I fully agree with the entire post, especially when premised on the bolded parts.

P34c3
duwdu is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #71
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Alvarez will knock Cotto out, then he will knock Trout out.............
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #72
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

bad night? that is simplifying it. It is a good tuneup for Canelo.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum