Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #76
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Froch v Kessler Broadcasting rights causing problems!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Sky deserve a lot of the blame for giving all their dates to Eddie knowing he hasn't the biggest stable.

The only headliners Eddie's got are Froch, Brook, Bellew, Barker and Frampton. With Sky wanting to show at least 2 12 rounders the likes of McCloskey and Purdy end up in the co-feature bouts.

And it seems that good domestic matchups like Matthews/Crolla and Lindsay/Selby which would have headlined their own (smaller) cards in the past aren't good enough to go ahead on their own on Sky now.

What's the problem with Lindsay/Selby headling with someone like Willie Casey in the co-feature against a decent opponent and then Matchroom's prospects keeping busy whilst having Kiko/Frampton headline a separate card with McCloskey or Andy Lee in the co-feature. Then you've got two cards instead of the 1 and they'd still both be decent if the right opponents are found for the likes of Casey and Lee.

Sky and/or Matchroom seem to insist on guys that have got a chance of world level success headlining their cards. The problem is British boxing doesn't have that many fighters on that level. You can't expect everyone to go on and do something at world level yet Sky don't seem content with guys being 'only' British or European champions.
This
ashedward is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #77
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Hearn does need to expand his stable,signing Rose is a good move.He has 6 more dates to play with after March(if Frochs fight doesn`t count) including the 2 prizefighters so that realyleaves 4 frampton,Bellew and Brook will headline there own shows imo that leaves one more,i think Barker will be on the Froch undercard.

Last edited by ashedward; 01-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.
ashedward is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Sky deserve a lot of the blame for giving all their dates to Eddie knowing he hasn't the biggest stable.

The only headliners Eddie's got are Froch, Brook, Bellew, Barker and Frampton. With Sky wanting to show at least 2 12 rounders the likes of McCloskey and Purdy end up in the co-feature bouts.

And it seems that good domestic matchups like Matthews/Crolla and Lindsay/Selby which would have headlined their own (smaller) cards in the past aren't good enough to go ahead on their own on Sky now.

What's the problem with Lindsay/Selby headling with someone like Willie Casey in the co-feature against a decent opponent and then Matchroom's prospects keeping busy whilst having Kiko/Frampton headline a separate card with McCloskey or Andy Lee in the co-feature. Then you've got two cards instead of the 1 and they'd still both be decent if the right opponents are found for the likes of Casey and Lee.

Sky and/or Matchroom seem to insist on guys that have got a chance of world level success headlining their cards. The problem is British boxing doesn't have that many fighters on that level. You can't expect everyone to go on and do something at world level yet Sky don't seem content with guys being 'only' British or European champions.
Sky and Matchroom have found themselves in a touch position. I think they made assumptions that more fighters would sign with Matchroom, thay BoxNation would have gone under and that more promoters would be willing to co-promote with Hearn. This hasn't happened, although it does appear to be goong that way.

I still think the blame lays on Hatton & Maloneys shoulders. They couldb't deliver what Sky asked for. Big Shows, Packed Arenas, Stars being built and competative matchmaking. Hearn was the only one that was able to provide this on a consistant basis.

20 shows I agree is a stretch for Matchroom. But between Hatton & Maloney how many shows could they put on that would be the quality Sky are requesting. 6 a year at most.

I think Boxing on Sky has improved since they wet exclusive with Hearn, and I think in the next few year his talet pool will increase and he will be able to fill more than 20 dates with quality top to bottom. By no means is a Monopaly good for boxing, but if you have 2-3 major promoters instead of 5 the sport in this country will be much much better off.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #79
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
Sky and Matchroom have found themselves in a touch position. I think they made assumptions that more fighters would sign with Matchroom, thay BoxNation would have gone under and that more promoters would be willing to co-promote with Hearn. This hasn't happened, although it does appear to be goong that way.

I still think the blame lays on Hatton & Maloneys shoulders. They couldb't deliver what Sky asked for. Big Shows, Packed Arenas, Stars being built and competative matchmaking. Hearn was the only one that was able to provide this on a consistant basis.

20 shows I agree is a stretch for Matchroom. But between Hatton & Maloney how many shows could they put on that would be the quality Sky are requesting. 6 a year at most.

I think Boxing on Sky has improved since they wet exclusive with Hearn, and I think in the next few year his talet pool will increase and he will be able to fill more than 20 dates with quality top to bottom. By no means is a Monopaly good for boxing, but if you have 2-3 major promoters instead of 5 the sport in this country will be much much better off.

Yeah, they probably did expect Eddie to sign more fighters once the exclusive deal was announced but you can't cut them slack for any assumptions they made.

You can't even blame Hatton and Maloney. It's upto Sky to enforce quality. They could have put their expectations into any new contract with Hatton. 6 shows from Hatton would have been enough if they were one of just two or three promoters. They've got Quigg, Vassell, Murray, Buckland, Dickens, Crolla amongst others. We could have had some great stacked cards with these guys if Hatton only got 5 dates.

That said, if it was up to me I'd have no contracts with anyone. I'd inform every British promoter that there's 20 dates to fill and it's upto them to, either individually or in conjunction with each other, put shows together. And the final call would be Sky's. That way even the likes of Coldwell would get a look in.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #80
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fight is April 27th at the 02 arena according to the Scene
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #81
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fight is April 27th at the 02 arena according to the Scene
Same night as Martinez/Murray. Sky should pick that up as well.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #82
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, they probably did expect Eddie to sign more fighters once the exclusive deal was announced but you can't cut them slack for any assumptions they made.

You can't even blame Hatton and Maloney. It's upto Sky to enforce quality. They could have put their expectations into any new contract with Hatton. 6 shows from Hatton would have been enough if they were one of just two or three promoters. They've got Quigg, Vassell, Murray, Buckland, Dickens, Crolla amongst others. We could have had some great stacked cards with these guys if Hatton only got 5 dates.

That said, if it was up to me I'd have no contracts with anyone. I'd inform every British promoter that there's 20 dates to fill and it's upto them to, either individually or in conjunction with each other, put shows together. And the final call would be Sky's. That way even the likes of Coldwell would get a look in.
I wasn't cutting them any slack for those assumptions. They deserve to be criticised but as I have been saying, theres other people to blame.

You can't expect Sky to hold the promoters hands. Hattons only had 6 shows a year in there previous contract and they couldn't deliver. And Sky did put in quality control. When the Hattons ****ed up the Khan vs McCloskey PPV, the fight got dropped as a PPV because the undercard wasn't sufficient quality. This is what I feel ultimately lead to Sky dropping Hatton promotions.

I don't agree with no contracts. You do need a major promoter like Hearn to have a degree of security so that he is able to invest in prospects. If there is none, promoters would only focus on the 3 TV fights so that they can secure the date, and prospects would be left to rot.

I would have given Hearn say 10 dates and then left 10 dates open. If a Promoter continually delivers when they fill the free slots, they can also secure a guaranteed contract.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Would be nice. Also the same night as Garcia vs Judah, Quillin vs Guerreo and Mallignaggi vs Cano.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #84
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I wasn't cutting them any slack for those assumptions. They deserve to be criticised but as I have been saying, theres other people to blame.

You can't expect Sky to hold the promoters hands. Hattons only had 6 shows a year in there previous contract and they couldn't deliver. And Sky did put in quality control. When the Hattons ****ed up the Khan vs McCloskey PPV, the fight got dropped as a PPV because the undercard wasn't sufficient quality. This is what I feel ultimately lead to Sky dropping Hatton promotions.

I don't agree with no contracts. You do need a major promoter like Hearn to have a degree of security so that he is able to invest in prospects. If there is none, promoters would only focus on the 3 TV fights so that they can secure the date, and prospects would be left to rot.

I would have given Hearn say 10 dates and then left 10 dates open. If a Promoter continually delivers when they fill the free slots, they can also secure a guaranteed contract.
That's true, promoters do need some security. The no contracts methods works in the US but then they've got plenty of smaller platforms outside of HBO and Showtime to develop their younger fighters on. We just don't have that here, if we did then no contracts would be the way to go for Sky.

There should certainly have been a few slots left open for other promoters though.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #85
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's true, promoters do need some security. The no contracts methods works in the US but then they've got plenty of smaller platforms outside of HBO and Showtime to develop their younger fighters on. We just don't have that here, if we did then no contracts would be the way to go for Sky.

There should certainly have been a few slots left open for other promoters though.
I have always felt midweek Boxing would work well. If Sky had 3 levels of boxing similar to HBO & Showtime.

PPV - Mega Fights as and when there made. Max of 4 per year.
Saturday Nights - 20x3 Hour shows a year with big title fights.
Wednesday Nights - 6x2 hour shows a year with lover level title fights and prospects.
Prizefighter - 6 per year also only on weeknights

If you give Hearn 12 Saturday nights, 2 Wednesdays and 6 Prizefighters thats his 20 card deal. Then you have 8 Saturdays and 4 weeknights that could be filled by a number of Promoters.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #86
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I have always felt midweek Boxing would work well. If Sky had 3 levels of boxing similar to HBO & Showtime.

PPV - Mega Fights as and when there made. Max of 4 per year.
Saturday Nights - 20x3 Hour shows a year with big title fights.
Wednesday Nights - 6x2 hour shows a year with lover level title fights and prospects.
Prizefighter - 6 per year also only on weeknights

If you give Hearn 12 Saturday nights, 2 Wednesdays and 6 Prizefighters thats his 20 card deal. Then you have 8 Saturdays and 4 weeknights that could be filled by a number of Promoters.
I couldn't agree with you more. It would give Hatton, Coldwell and Maloney an opportunity to put decent shows on sky.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #87
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
He always has his beloved Prizefighter to fill dates with, he knows that's what we like and want, I'm struggling to contain myself and the joy it would bring, to see this great tournament of skill and style on my TV for the millionth time this year.
That's the spirit.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #88
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That's the spirit.
What can I say, its growing on me.

Like a brain tumour.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #89
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419

Quote:

Sky should do this more often. When they have a big card look to see what International cards are on and make a full night of boxing. What else would they show at 2/ 3am?

Would go someway to rectifying the lack of worldwide boxing. Can't fault them for the domestic stuff though.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #90
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960

Would be awesome if they picked up the Martinez/Murray fight, unlikely though cos of Hatton isn't it?
Marlow is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum