Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fastest Boxers with Tremendous Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
, just watched him again freaking amazing fighter
Easily the most overrated fighter on this board. Textbook case of how praise from greats makes all sense of proportion go missing.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #47
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Rigondeaux has exceptional balance, like a smug cat.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #48
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Joe Louis, Even when he missed he was always in position to strike again.
Benny Leonard, I think had the greatest balance even when he was rushed never looked out of place.
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #49
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ali, Mancini, Leonard, Hearns, Robinson, Louis, Duran, Barrera, Pac, amongst others..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #50
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Easily the most overrated fighter on this board. Textbook case of how praise from greats makes all sense of proportion go missing.
I like the way he fights you dont have to follow what greats say to realise that... You should be able to see by watching him fight...maybe you should try that
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #51
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

I thought of Naseem Hamed, but he is an example of `bad balance`.
Probably the reason why some might think he was weak chinned.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #52
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I like the way he fights you dont have to follow what greats say to realise that... You should be able to see by watching him fight...maybe you should try that
I've seen the whole 10 minutes of footage there is of him. He looks quick, smart and awkwardly tricky but has several clear technical flaws - like Herol Graham more or less. Or a smaller and lesser version of Jones to some extent.

Going by that footage, I've seen many fighters that impressed me more. Much like looking at his record. Impressive in parts, but certainly nothing exceptional.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #53
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I've seen the whole 10 minutes of footage there is of him. He looks quick, smart and awkwardly tricky but has several clear technical flaws - like Herol Graham more or less. Or a smaller and lesser version of Jones to some extent.

Going by that footage, I've seen many fighters that impressed me more. Much like looking at his record. Impressive in parts, but certainly nothing exceptional.
Yeah i mean completely dominating Achie Moore isnt much and the guys on his record were all bums ay...

What technical flaws can you see?
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #54
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah i mean completely dominating Achie Moore isnt much and the guys on his record were all bums ay...
Hence, "impressive in parts". But he also lost to several of the top guys he met. Swapped wins and losses with them.

Quote:
What technical flaws can you see?
Just from memory.

Stance/guard: Back too straight, chin too high, hands too low. Feet perhaps a bit too wide. Too much like a fencer.

Punching: Leaps off the flooor with several of his punches. Leaps in the jab more than stepping in with it.

These were the main things I can remember. Mind you, he was clearly very skilled and crafty in his own way - very much like Graham or Nunn. But I've often seen him named as one of the great textbook technicians, and that's laughable going by that footage.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #55
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
You think Tyson is a good call but pernell isn't? Reason being not a speedster.. Yet Tyson is?
Tyson? Hell yeah. Tremendous balance and lightning speed.

Pernell wasn't even all that quick. Snappy jab, but rather clubbing with his left, and his right hook, while sharp, wasn't all that fast either.

Sweet Pea's offense isn't all that scintillating. It's effective, it's accurate, but it lacked for power and velocity. It was he incredible defensive skillset and ring generalship that he rode to legendary status.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #56
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hence, "impressive in parts". But he also lost to several of the top guys he met. Swapped wins and losses with them.

Just from memory.

Stance/guard: Back too straight, chin too high, hands too low. Feet perhaps a bit too wide. Too much like a fencer.

Punching: Leaps off the flooor with several of his punches. Leaps in the jab more than stepping in with it.

These were the main things I can remember. Mind you, he was clearly very skilled and crafty in his own way - very much like Graham or Nunn. But I've often seen him named as one of the great textbook technicians, and that's laughable going by that footage.
These arent flaws by him he compensates for the low hands with his wide stance making it easy to get out of the way of punches, when he ''leaps in'' with the jab hes not off balance or anything so theres nothing bad about it, he dosent get tagged after throwing it so obviously its fine,
You dont have to be a textbook technician you can do things wrong but get away with it because of your own style if it compensates for it
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #57
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
These arent flaws by him he compensates for the low hands with his wide stance making it easy to get out of the way of punches, when he ''leaps in'' with the jab hes not off balance or anything so theres nothing bad about it, he dosent get tagged after throwing it so obviously its fine,
You dont have to be a textbook technician you can do things wrong but get away with it because of your own style if it compensates for it
Usually you eventually don't get away with it. If there's something I've become more and more convinced about it's the merits of following the textbook.

You tried out any unorthodox stuff in the gym? It usually hurts.

Anyhow, you asked me what flaws I saw from a textbook perspective. That was my answer.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #58
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Usually you eventually don't get away with it. If there's something I've become more and more convinced about it's the merits of following the textbook.

Anyhow, you asked me what flaws I saw. That was my answer.
People are insulted when I point out how crude Dempsey was. They say the same thing, its not a flaw if you make it work.

Then Gene Tunney makes you look like an ass.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #59
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Burley's manner of throwing jabs was certainly unusual. He also seemed to prefer hooks and swings where straight punches could be a lot more effective. Not a combination puncher, preferring single punches. Based on 20 mins of footage.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #60
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
People are insulted when I point out how crude Dempsey was. They say the same thing, its not a flaw if you make it work.

Then Gene Tunney makes you look like an ass.
Sure as rain. Flaws are there to be exploited. Even my man Ali ran into that.
Bokaj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum