Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: tilyards conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstriper View Post
Carb depleting should only be done for a short amount of time if at all.

I never mentioned starving, I am talking about eating the right food groups at the right time of day to ensure maximum benefit from the foods you eat, So yes, you should be dieting right up until fight night.
Eating processed meat when your an elite athlete is like running a Ferrari on E10 unleaded!

Your basically saying that if your a heavy your entitled to carry some blubber into a fight, dedicated athletes in an explosive sport like boxing don't carry blubber.

Also if you train hard enough, your body will deplete it's energy stores anyway.

You have a basic understanding of fighters diets but it is a lot more complex and scientific than what you are saying.

i dont think we have anyhting to disagree about. what ive described is a way for a bloke like tilyard (not an elite ferarri) to lose some weight fast. there is no substitute fora good, well balanced diet over a long period. but to lose FAT quickly, high protien, low carb way is the best of all.

we wereonce subsistence hunter gatherers. we werent even farmers. our diet consisted of a high protien, high green leaf matter and in season fruirt/nut diet. complex carbs such as yams, fat, grains etc were, not a staple.

it was natural for us to eat this way for millionsof years. now we have choices. carbs are a staple. it is carbs, not fat, that makes us fat. carbs are energy. thats why we aregetting fatter. an aboundence of carbs. breakfast cerial and toast. sandwich for lunch. potato and pasta for dinner. sweets, soft drinks, beer, chips, choclate. all in theshoppping trolley and on the menu every day for most families.

cut the carbs. it will cut the fat.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
pinstriper
Journeyman

What weight you going in at?
pinstriper is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Try for Welterweight.
old man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #34
pinstriper
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post

I agree, the only problem is it makes you extremely flat and you need to be super focused to push hard in training, that is the problem a bloke like Tilyard is going to struggle to overcome
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
you carb deplete to make your body use stored energy...fat.

you keep eating other food sources, to trick the body into thinking it isnt starving. if you do starve, your body gets smart and eats fast twitch muscle intead.

you dont diet right up to the fight if youre a heavy. you just lose ther weight to have better cardio etc. you go back to include good carbs some time before a fight.

the lighter weights shouldnt have to starve right up to a fight either. if they do, they arein the wrong division.

as for processed meats. if it helps you to lose a lot of weight over a short period, and keeps you interested in dieting, it fine.

Why would you be wanting to 'eat fast twitch muscles'? Surely that would be detrimental for performance. Your body uses amino acids for energy if you're on an energy deficit, it doesn't selectively choose which muscle fibres to target. If you train at any sort of intensity then carbs are used for energy, if not from diet then through breaking down muscle tissue and fat for glucogenesis. Depleting yourself of carbs when training is just going to make you lose muscle and fat, you'll be weaker and in a bad mood.. makes it easy to overtrain and you'll decrease your strength to weight ratio which will negate any benefits in VO2max you'll get from the lost weight. Recovery from sessions will be prolonged, there are many reasons why carb depleting is idiotic for an athlete. A lot of boxers do it because boxers are generally uneducated on these matters. You're far better off losing the weight gradually with a slight energy deficit (500-1000 kj below maintenance each day) to prevent muscle loss. If you're training at the same time it's very important for that energy deficit to be primarily from less fat in the diet, carbs are vital for energy and protein sparing. Not to mention your brain needs 130grams of glucose (carbs) every day just to function. Your brains energy requirements take priority so if you're not eating carbs while training you're draining the hell out of yourself, your brain and muscles need that sugar from somewhere so you're body is breaking down. You're not going to be able to train with any sort of intensity in that situation.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #36
pinstriper
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Try for Welterweight.
What weight you at now? Weight divisions are a bit different in the AM's. I am going to try for 64. I'm about 71 at the moment but the games is not until later in the year.
I have to be honest tho, after not copping punches in the head for a few years I'm not sure how much I am going to like it now haha
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #37
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
i dont think we have anyhting to disagree about. what ive described is a way for a bloke like tilyard (not an elite ferarri) to lose some weight fast. there is no substitute fora good, well balanced diet over a long period. but to lose FAT quickly, high protien, low carb way is the best of all.

we wereonce subsistence hunter gatherers. we werent even farmers. our diet consisted of a high protien, high green leaf matter and in season fruirt/nut diet. complex carbs such as yams, fat, grains etc were, not a staple.

it was natural for us to eat this way for millionsof years. now we have choices. carbs are a staple. it is carbs, not fat, that makes us fat. carbs are energy. thats why we aregetting fatter. an aboundence of carbs. breakfast cerial and toast. sandwich for lunch. potato and pasta for dinner. sweets, soft drinks, beer, chips, choclate. all in theshoppping trolley and on the menu every day for most families.

Absolute nonsense, weight gain or loss is simply energy in versus energy out. Your body maintains homeostasis very well. All food is energy, 17kj from each gram of protein and carbohydrate and 38kj from each gram of fat. You've been reading some shit on the internet, speak to a nutritionist instead. You can lose weight just eating carbs if you really want.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #38
pinstriper
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post

Why would you be wanting to 'eat fast twitch muscles'? Surely that would be detrimental for performance. Your body uses amino acids for energy if you're on an energy deficit, it doesn't selectively choose which muscle fibres to target. If you train at any sort of intensity then carbs are used for energy, if not from diet then through breaking down muscle tissue and fat for glucogenesis. Depleting yourself of carbs when training is just going to make you lose muscle and fat, you'll be weaker and in a bad mood.. makes it easy to overtrain and you'll decrease your strength to weight ratio which will negate any benefits in VO2max you'll get from the lost weight. Recovery from sessions will be prolonged, there are many reasons why carb depleting is idiotic for an athlete. A lot of boxers do it because boxers are generally uneducated on these matters. You're far better off losing the weight gradually with a slight energy deficit (500-1000 kj below maintenance each day) to prevent muscle loss. If you're training at the same time it's very important for that energy deficit to be primarily from less fat in the diet, carbs are vital for energy and protein sparing. Not to mention your brain needs 130grams of glucose (carbs) every day just to function. Your brains energy requirements take priority so if you're not eating carbs while training you're draining the hell out of yourself, your brain and muscles need that sugar from somewhere so you're body is breaking down. You're not going to be able to train with any sort of intensity in that situation.
Well said
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If you can't fight I will try and make your weight.
old man is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Absolute nonsense, weight gain or loss is simply energy in versus energy out. Your body maintains homeostasis very well. All food is energy, 17kj from each gram of protein and carbohydrate and 38kj from each gram of fat. You've been reading some shit on the internet, speak to a nutritionist instead. You can lose weight just eating carbs if you really want.
in and out, yes.

but fat for instance USES energy to break down. more than carbs do. its not as simpleas youthink. and not as deep as others think.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #41
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Why would you be wanting to 'eat fast twitch muscles'? .
i dont. the body does this when it thinks it is starving. its something you have to avoid.

try reading properly...
swingin is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #42
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
i dont. the body does this when it thinks it is starving. its something you have to avoid.

try reading properly...
I was saying "Why would your body be wanting to eat fast twitch muscles when you're starving, why and how would it selectively choose fast twitch fibres?" Your body wants amino acids when it need to deaminate protein for glucogenesis, through what mechanism could your body selectively choose amino acids from fast twitch fibres? A lot of fibres are a combination, not strictly type 1 or type 11x. What happens to the intermediate fibres during starvation in your theory (that I never learned about in my nutrition units at university for some reason..)?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #43
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

because the ring card girls were all covered up, shane thought there needed to be some TITTIES on display at least once
buster007 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #44
pinstriper
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
If you can't fight I will try and make your weight.
I dont think it will take me long to get back in the swing of things
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #45
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Is that you Lester?? Barry???
old man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum