What a leech
Vidic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #4022
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Did we forget how dull Lennox was?

PP was trying to show LL's personality in perspective to Vit and Wlad, and the same people as always turn it into a TKO6 thread, well done
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #4023
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nick View Post
Friday, Jul 14, 2000 03:00 PM EDT
Lennox Lewis, heavyweight bore of the world
Having trouble falling asleep? Try watching one of lackluster champion Lennox Lewis' fights. He'll knock you out without laying a glove on you.
By Allen Barra

“It’s not my fault,” heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis complained at Thursday night’s weigh-in for his Saturday night title defense, “that I’m the outstanding heavyweight of my era, the way Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis were before me.” Well, uh, no, but it is Lewis’ fault that he’s dull, unimaginative, passive-aggressive and that he fights more like Bart the Bear than a Raging Bull. Lewis is 250 pounds, but as he demonstrated in his two fights with Evander Holyfield, his primary offensive weapons are a pawing left jab and a bear hug. As Holyfield phrased it after their first bout, “Every time I got in close he hugged me tighter than my wife.”

If Lewis’ fight with Francois Botha was broadcast nationally against a golf match featuring Tiger Woods, it would lose 2-to-1. Think about that. How would you have answered someone 20 years ago — no, 10 years ago — who told you golf would outdraw a heavyweight championship fight? The really sad fact is that this says less about the rise of golf than it does about the decline of boxing.

In truth, Lennox Lewis isn’t so much a cause of this decline as much as a symbol. Lewis has defended his title seven times, but a couple of those were against guys who weren’t household names in their own households. Lewis is quick to point out that he “isn’t responsible for the quality of my opposition,” which, again, is true. It’s not his fault that the best heavyweight he’s been in the ring with, Holyfield, was 36 when they fought for the first time. It is his fault, though, that he fought him twice without displaying passion or conviction, getting an absurdly unfair draw the first time and a lackluster win by decision the next. How boring were those fights? After the second, Bert Sugar of Bert Sugar’s Fight Game magazine told everyone at the press conference that “vandals broke into the arena box office and returned 500 tickets.” “I believe I am the best,” says Lewis, “I believe I am head and shoulders over everybody in world heavyweight boxing. I know that in a room full of men I would be the last man standing.” He probably would be. People who spend too much time around Lewis tend to nod off.

Lennox Lewis wears the same title as Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis, but it bears the same relation to theirs as the Holy Roman Emperor did to Caesar. Activist groups that seek the abolition of boxing are wasting their time. Boxing is erasing itself from public memory faster than last year’s MTV Awards.
Nice find. That's exactly how I recall public opinion of Lennox Lewis when he was active during the late 90s. He was widely disrespected and recognized as a boring champion with little charisma.

History is viewing him more forgiving, which usually happens after dominating champs retire.

Last edited by madballster; 01-31-2013 at 06:49 AM.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #4024
humbug
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir23 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

They both had short notice for the fight yes, but any boxing fan would know, Lewis was waaaaaaay past his best, overweight and simply wasn't motivated......and he still won!!!! A win is a ****ing win, simple as that. It will go down in history, as a W.

I want to jump through my computer screen and slap sense into you, but I can't and is impossible as modern day technology won't allow me to. It will go down in history that I never did slap sense in to you, because it never happened, just as Vitali didn't beat Lewis. A win is a win, are we on the same wave length here?

Seriously mate, when the **** are you and people like you going get off this Klitschko delusion you all call a reality. Vitali's best win was Corrie Sanders. I'll say it again, Corrie ****ing Sanders. Lewis would have mauled him within 5 in his prime.
humbug is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #4025
raichu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Meet the real man who stopped Vitali Klitschko in the 6th

tko6 will always be a fact.

deal with it.
raichu is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #4026
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Klitchko vs lewis was one of the best heavyweight fights ever. clowns cant just appreciate it. Getting stopped on cuts happens. Lewis was coming on strong but Vitali was not falling back. Had it continued who knows what would happen.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #4027
The13thRound
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Honestly, prime lewis destroys both brothers, EASILY.
The13thRound is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #4028
Ultimate Boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It was a nasty cut so it wasn't out of bounds to stop the fight but Lewis got lucky to score such a cut so early in the fight. Without that cut Lewis was going down hard. Byrd was even more luckier.
Ultimate Boxing is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #4029
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahurath View Post
Ok then he wasn't stopped. Imagine him fighting with that Injury for what 6 more rounds?
Imagine all the jabs hitting him in his face, the right hands and so on.

All you know about Vitali today wouldn't probably excist. The only thing we would know is that he fought the world champ and got his eye permanently damaged. There is no way he would of finished that fight with that eye.

And like always cut was caused by a punch not a headbut so it's a legit stoppage.

I don't really now why people are so upset about this loss. It's not like Vitali won't be rememberd. He will be in the same Hall as Lennox Lewis.
Mostly correct.

and pretty spot on assement except you must have never DVRd, frame by framed the cut.

Tough call for the doc to make, but he made the wrong call imo. Had he simply made the right call, seen the trickle before the gushing, we'd have either gotten a Technical Draw 3, essentially a NC, with Vitali up 2-1. Or we'd have gotten the TD6 with Vitali narrowly escaping with a win over the GOAT.

Either way, had cut from the rub been seen, we'd never have all these threads. We'd have had the 60mil rematch. And a 38 y/o Lewis woulda likely been better prepared for an also more prepared Vitali. It was already FOTC for me, the rematch may have been GFOAT.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #4030
EL CABALLO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by locard View Post

Dr. Paul Wallace. Ringside Physician for the Vitali-Lewis match

Currently he serves as Chairman of the California State Athletic Commission's Medical Advisory Board.

This is the man who actually stopped Vitali (well, the referee did but only due to the advice of this guy)

Dont let anyone tell you otherwise

Klitschko haters get a ***** saying that Lennox ¨stopped¨ Vitali

Bull****.

Being stopped by the opponent is when the referee sees one of the fighters badly hurt from taking hard punches repeatedly and looking unable to protect himself, so he jumps in and stops the fight to prevent unnecesary damage (nothing like that happened in the Vitali-Lewis match btw)

This is how being ¨stopped¨ by your opponent actually looks like:

Saying that Vitali got stopped by Lennox is like saying Margarito got stopped by Cotto in the rematch.

In the last round, Cotto was backing down and starting to run like a ***** from the relentless pressure of Margo, Margo was coming on strong when the biased doctor in the biased rican venue decided it was a good idea to stop the match, much to the satisfaction of ricans and Margo haters everywhere.

So Cotto didn't stop Margo in the rematch, the doctor did

just like Lennox didn't stop Vitali, the doctor did

Lennox didn't stop Vitali

He just won the lottery of cuts, and ran away with his lucky victory that he knew wouldn't happen a 2nd time, in a coward but clever move, no doubt.
Clown!! Did u ever watch either of these fights?!!?
EL CABALLO is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #4031
G Man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug View Post
They both had short notice for the fight yes, but any boxing fan would know, Lewis was waaaaaaay past his best, overweight and simply wasn't motivated......and he still won!!!! A win is a ****ing win, simple as that. It will go down in history, as a W.

I want to jump through my computer screen and slap sense into you, but I can't and is impossible as modern day technology won't allow me to. It will go down in history that I never did slap sense in to you, because it never happened, just as Vitali didn't beat Lewis. A win is a win, are we on the same wave length here?

Seriously mate, when the **** are you and people like you going get off this Klitschko delusion you all call a reality. Vitali's best win was Corrie Sanders. I'll say it again, Corrie ****ing Sanders. Lewis would have mauled him within 5 in his prime.
If he was fortunate enough to cut Vitali again, maybe.

Lewis was in his prime, he beat Tyson exactly one year previous and boasted to everyone how he is like fine wine and gets better and better.

Fast forward a year and after a humiliating beating which he luckily won on a cut, he suddenly decided he was over the hill, refused a rematch which Vitali richly deserved, then retired like a...I hate to say it about a fighter but he retired like a *****.

TKO 6 is a fact, yes, but the paper result doesn't always tell the full story. Boxing history is awash with bad decisions, fights which were dominated by a fighter but then lost on technicalities, etc etc etc.

To summarise:

TKO 6 is a fact.

Lewis getting his ass kicked then retiring like a ***** is also a fact.

This is why it's discussed a lot on here, this is a boxing discussion forum, and a very relevant topic as one of the fighters is still active.

Everyone accepts the result was TKO 6...all Klit haters now have to do is accept that Lewis was getting outboxed, was almost decked and losing on points, then retired like a *****, then we can all go home.
G Man is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #4032
humbug
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
If he was fortunate enough to cut Vitali again, maybe.

Lewis was in his prime, he beat Tyson exactly one year previous and boasted to everyone how he is like fine wine and gets better and better.

Fast forward a year and after a humiliating beating which he luckily won on a cut, he suddenly decided he was over the hill, refused a rematch which Vitali richly deserved, then retired like a...I hate to say it about a fighter but he retired like a *****.

TKO 6 is a fact, yes, but the paper result doesn't always tell the full story. Boxing history is awash with bad decisions, fights which were dominated by a fighter but then lost on technicalities, etc etc etc.

To summarise:

TKO 6 is a fact.

Lewis getting his ass kicked then retiring like a ***** is also a fact.

This is why it's discussed a lot on here, this is a boxing discussion forum, and a very relevant topic as one of the fighters is still active.

Everyone accepts the result was TKO 6...all Klit haters now have to do is accept that Lewis was getting outboxed, was almost decked and losing on points, then retired like a *****, then we can all go home.
I'm not a Klit hater, Lewis was losing the fight on the cards, no shame in that, again, he won the fight.

Even if Vitali KO'd Lewis in an alternate universe round 7, Lewis would still be revered as the better fighter head to head in their prime.

Ok, so he boasted he ages like a fine wine after the Tyson win, bearing in mind he just KO'd his nemesis and was on a high, in boxing, you only get judged on what you physically achieved mate. Lewis TKO6.
humbug is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #4033
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
Mostly correct.

and pretty spot on assement except you must have never DVRd, frame by framed the cut.

Tough call for the doc to make, but he made the wrong call imo. Had he simply made the right call, seen the trickle before the gushing, we'd have either gotten a Technical Draw 3, essentially a NC, with Vitali up 2-1. Or we'd have gotten the TD6 with Vitali narrowly escaping with a win over the GOAT.
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #4034
humbug
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

"Lewis was in his prime, he beat Tyson exactly one year previous"

Lewis was not in his prime at the time of the Vitali fight.
humbug is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #4035
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
Mostly correct.

Either way, had cut from the rub been seen, we'd never have all these threads. We'd have had the 60mil rematch. And a 38 y/o Lewis woulda likely been better prepared for an also more prepared Vitali. It was already FOTC for me, the rematch may have been GFOAT.
shaunster101 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum