Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Is Mundine an Aussie ATG?
Yes, clearly. (specify where in top 10, please) 4 11.11%
Maybe/borderline. 11 30.56%
No. 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Where does Anthony Mundine rate all time among Australian boxers?

Failed to ever beat a reigning world champion in 3 weight classes.........stacked his fight log with over the hill fighters & cab drivers.........fought for the legit world title 3 times & failed everytime.....he probably is the only Oz fighter though that continually calls himself a 3 time world champion when he never actually won one...... don't rate him at all
roscoe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
boxoncottonon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 850

Can't see him in the top ten. He has never stepped up and won a big fight on the international stage, taken a title from a legit full title holder. An he loses points for vacating and not rematching for the paper titles he has had.
boxoncottonon is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #33
hammerofthor
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

He's top 25, 30 at worst IMO.sure he's a dick, but around 06/07 he was a solid world class fighter.
Good wins over green, Geale (victory is legit) Soliman, Kim, Alvarez Echols, Sullivan. If he is/was as shit as some like to claim he would not have beaten any of those guys
hammerofthor is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 AM   #34
dawsosj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

bit hard to gauge for me, personally i rate green above him based on achievements and opposition, coupled with greens representation of aus at the sydney olympics, but i am a green fan so it may be biased. I rate him as a guy who never completely fulfilled his potential sports wise however he went above and beyond the sport in terms of publicity and interest generated, probably in the top 20 somewhere in the lower end.
dawsosj is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #35
TheDuke
Let me marry Boxed Ears

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerofthor View Post
He's top 25, 30 at worst IMO.sure he's a dick, but around 06/07 he was a solid world class fighter.
Good wins over green, Geale (victory is legit) Soliman, Kim, Alvarez Echols, Sullivan. If he is/was as shit as some like to claim he would not have beaten any of those guys
I don't think anyone says he's shit or anything but with his resume, if he was a Yank, he would be considered an also ran. Echols was pumped up to be a dangerous fight but Echols was shot and blown up.

If you rate mundine on domestic victories then he is one of our best domestic fighters ever but on the world stage he's a non entity so he'd have to rank below anyone who made legitimate impact on the world scene.
TheDuke is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 AM   #36
mrdoctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Wow. Scathing.

He is getting more votes of confidence up in the General Forum than down under!
IB i'll ask you a question...tell me out of the WBO WBA WBC and IBF which all reconize each other,which one of these organizations has mundine won a fully fledged trinket?like no higher.....the championship belt
when and where?
mrdoctor is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #37
atigerofold
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

You'd have to provide a position of higher order for Paul Ferreri, way above Mundine and Geale; Ferrerri won commonwealth titles and defended them several times, and was a fighter for the WBC world title against the dreaded Zarate. Fighting for, or winning a IBF title compared to the WBC I think, is like comparing timber to concrete (as a harder surface).

Who has Geale beaten, Sturm and Sylvester and Mundine, all have never fought a WBC contender, how can you rate Geale amongst our greats (before he has reached a worthy world title).

He might get there, and he might get destroyed.....
atigerofold is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #38
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
Who has Geale beaten, Sturm and Sylvester and Mundine, all have never fought a WBC contender, how can you rate Geale amongst our greats (before he has reached a worthy world title).

He might get there, and he might get destroyed.....
I wouldnt take the WBC rankings too seriously these days, unlike back when Ferreri was boxing.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #39
atigerofold
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Mmm...yeah, lets just forget about the USA and South American champions and contenders,(and other affiliated WBC orgs)and we'll just go with our own measures of greatness......change all of our local organisations to read ENC...The Emporers New Cothes.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #40
Giantcan

Michael Kastidis ranks higher than Mundine.
Giantcan is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #41
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It's a shame because for the first half of his career he had the potential to be an ATG Australian boxer. For someone with basically no amateur background to cross over in his mid 20's and beat established domestic fighters was quiet an effort and to top it off fighting Ottke in his 11th fight was amazing. Up until his secong fight with Soliman he was on track but after that is about the time the wheels fell off his career heading for ATG status. I'm not sure why this happened but at some point after his career is over Mundine would have to look back with some regret.
Australian ATG, I'm afraid not but ATG waste of potential he would have to rank right up there.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #42
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It's a shame because for the first half of his career he had the potential to be an ATG Australian boxer. For someone with basically no amateur background to cross over in his mid 20's and beat established domestic fighters was quiet an effort and to top it off fighting Ottke in his 11th fight was amazing. Up until his secong fight with Soliman he was on track but after that is about the time the wheels fell off his career heading for ATG status. I'm not sure why this happened but at some point after his career is over Mundine would have to look back with some regret.
Australian ATG, I'm afraid not but ATG waste of potential he would have to rank right up there.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #43
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
not top ten. good fighter though. only ever 'just' world class at his peak. excelled himself last night obviously.

pity is, his circus goes on. i sniff a rematch one daywith geale, that may prove to be a retirement fund for daniel when his career is ended. ggg may bring that closer.

darcy
sands
fenech
rose
fammo
tony mundine
thompson
richards
harding
Carruthers
Darchinyan
tszu
Young Griffo
Rocky Mattioli
Barry Michael
Vic Patrick

all rate higher than mundine. quality of opposition must be taken into account, and how a fighter fared when pitted against the best.
Throw in Jack Carroll and Ambrose Palmer who were both better fighters than Ron Richards and definately better than Mundine.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #44
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
About sums it up. Mundine would probably be inside our top 50 all time. But not a snowflakes of being in the top 25. ATG he is not.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #45
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoctor View Post
IB i'll ask you a question...tell me out of the WBO WBA WBC and IBF which all reconize each other,which one of these organizations has mundine won a fully fledged trinket?like no higher.....the championship belt
when and where?
IMO he never acquired a genuine world title from any legit org.

He got the interim WBA light middleweight strap from Rigo Alvarez (Canelo's shitty brother), who took it via home-brewed gift decision against Nobuhiro Ishida. Fair deuce, Rigo did bother Ishida with his pressure and hurt him a couple of times but for 90% of the match he was cleanly outboxed. So Rigo should've never had it. To boot, Rigo was coming directly off a loss to Austin Trout for the real (non-interim) WBA title. So Mundine having that piece of tin handed to him, only having to beat the pedestrian Alvarez, is basically a giant farce.

Both of his super middleweight reigns began by scooping up a vacancy rather than seizing from a currently active champion.

So if you discount vacant and interim deals, he was never world champ. Of course, technically he can (and does) claim to be 3-division.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum