Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289
Default Jim Watt vs Ken Buchanan, 40 years ago

40 years since these two fought, quite incredible now to think Scotland having two of the top guys in world at any weight, let alone the same weight! (ok, maybe Watt wasn't quite at that level yet but he went on to it)

Also a momentous occasion as it was the first night St Andrews Sporting Club started promoting, Tommy Gilmour continuing the family tradition.

I am too young to have seen it, or any of their fights live but are there any memories of the fight, of the fighters?

Would love to hear them
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jim Watt vs Ken Buchanan, 40 years ago

Cheekyvid,saw the fight on TV when it happened,or just after.My own opinion is that Buchanan was just a bit too good for Watt,and it showed.Later,it took Duran to beat him,dont think anyone else at the weight would have done.As you know,Watt won a title and was a fighting champion,beating class opposition like Sean O Grady and Howard Davis.I think people forget how good he was,possibly because he never tells anybody.Ducked nobody,including Alexis Arguello.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Well said about Watt. I remember the first time I saw him on tele against Antonio Guinaldi, he looked a different class. I was very impressed with him and then even more a couple of years later when I saw the same Guinaldi giving Clinton McKenzie a good fight.
AlFrancis is online now  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Fight used to be up on youtube if you want to see it, a really good bout.Unless you were just meaning too young to have seen it live.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyvid View Post
40 years since these two fought, quite incredible now to think Scotland having two of the top guys in world at any weight, let alone the same weight! (ok, maybe Watt wasn't quite at that level yet but he went on to it)

Also a momentous occasion as it was the first night St Andrews Sporting Club started promoting, Tommy Gilmour continuing the family tradition.

I am too young to have seen it, or any of their fights live but are there any memories of the fight, of the fighters?

Would love to hear them

Good fight. Ken was just passed his prime while Jim had n't yet reached his. Watt was a very good fighter and Ken was one of Britain's best ever,pound for pound. There was talk of a rematch when Jim was world champ,but a way over the hill Buchanan got beaten in an eliminator by Charlie Nash.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Good fight. Ken was just passed his prime while Jim had n't yet reached his. Watt was a very good fighter and Ken was one of Britain's best ever,pound for pound. There was talk of a rematch when Jim was world champ,but a way over the hill Buchanan got beaten in an eliminator by Charlie Nash.
i remember ken giving watt a lesson in the art of body punching but against nash the majority thought buchanan had done enough.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It was also a case of Edinburgh (ken) Vs Glasgow (Watt) which added to the pot.
Unlike many other "boxers" like say Howard Davis...Ken wasnt afraid to turn Aggressor in a hard fight,
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jim was tough as they come but abit below the skill level of the Buchanan's even on his best day.
timmers612 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum