Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default How Much Did the Jimmy Doyle Fight Affect SRR's Psyche?

I heard about how Ezzard Charles lost some killer instinct after he unintentionally killed, but what about Robinson?

Was there a stylistic change after this unfortunate incident?
Slickstar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How Much Did the Jimmy Doyle Fight Affect SRR's Psyche?

I think it affected him for awhile. Anyone would be shakin by something like that. I believe that Robinson looked at boxing as a buisness after that and put it out of his mind enough to do what he had to do.

He had mentioned that he didnt enjoy boxing in a few interviews. It was just the way had made his living. His retirement after Maxim kind of shows that IMO.

He was definitley in bad health for about 6 months after that fight but he had been thinking about retiring for awhile before that.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
I think it affected him for awhile. Anyone would be shakin by something like that. I believe that Robinson looked at boxing as a buisness after that and put it out of his mind enough to do what he had to do.

He had mentioned that he didnt enjoy boxing in a few interviews. It was just the way had made his living. His retirement after Maxim kind of shows that IMO.

He was definitley in bad health for about 6 months after that fight but he had been thinking about retiring for awhile before that.
Of course Robinson was unhappy when Jimmy Doyle died after their bout in 1947. Had to be.! But in his next TWO bouts 2 months later Robinson flattened 2 men in the very first round, and kod 4 more fighters in a row
soon after. And Robinson fought 5 more years before he met Joey Maxin in 1952. Robinson right after the Jimmy Doyle fight was as deadly as ever...
Incidentally, not long before the Robinson ko of Jimmy Doyle, I saw Jimmy Doyle training at Stillmans gym ,shortly after Doyle was flattened by Artie Levine, and badly hurt, was hospitalized after suffering a brain injury. When I saw Doyle at Stillman's gym I felt he looked "pasty looking" while training and I am sure that he should never had fought Robinson soon after
suffering a brain injury when Levine kod Doyle before the Robinson fight...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I knew SRR. Though he gave lip service to how bad he felt, it was just for public consumption. It never bothered him one whit.

Polite 'n soft spoken as he was, Sugar was a self-involved STONE KILLER.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Of course Robinson was unhappy when Jimmy Doyle died after their bout in 1947. Had to be.! But in his next TWO bouts 2 months later Robinson flattened 2 men in the very first round, and kod 4 more fighters in a row
soon after. And Robinson fought 5 more years before he met Joey Maxin in 1952. Robinson right after the Jimmy Doyle fight was as deadly as ever...
Incidentally, not long before the Robinson ko of Jimmy Doyle, I saw Jimmy Doyle training at Stillmans gym ,shortly after Doyle was flattened by Artie Levine, and badly hurt, was hospitalized after suffering a brain injury. When I saw Doyle at Stillman's gym I felt he looked "pasty looking" while training and I am sure that he should never had fought Robinson soon after
suffering a brain injury when Levine kod Doyle before the Robinson fight...
thanks. THis is the first time I heard about this. The SRR documentaries made no mention of Doyle's prior brain injury. Perhaps to add to the mythical aura of SRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
I knew SRR. Though he gave lip service to how bad he felt, it was just for public consumption. It never bothered him one whit.

alpha as **** imo
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:

I figured about as much. Thanks for chucking that in. Good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstar View Post
thanks. THis is the first time I heard about this. The SRR documentaries made no mention of Doyle's prior brain injury. Perhaps to add to the mythical aura of SRR.

alpha as **** imo
Mother****er as ****, imo. But, I suppose that's a plus, in the ring.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Abssolutely and well said JG. That's what made the Sugarman special in my humble opinion.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Burt, its been awhile but didn't Robinson say he had a preminition in a dream about Doyle dieing from their bout?
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstar View Post
I heard about how Ezzard Charles lost some killer instinct after he unintentionally killed, but what about Robinson?

Was there a stylistic change after this unfortunate incident?
Not really. He may have been a bit upset at the time and i wouldnt blame him, but it was business as usual after that
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think all top fighters possess that Killer Instinct, it has to be that way for preservation, some obviously more than others and some other worldly even, cold blooded reptiles... but I believe most had it a bit and then some!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers612 View Post
Burt, its been awhile but didn't Robinson say he had a preminition in a dream about Doyle dieing from their bout?
That is what Robinson supposedly had said to a reporter. But all of us have thousands of dreams,which never come true, BUT the one time it does come true, we regard it as a premonition. Robinson of course knew that
Artie Levine kod Jimmy Doyle shortly before, and Doyle was in a hospital with severe brain injuries . Maybe Robinson aware of this fact,and scuttlebut saying" Doyle doesn"t look good in training",HAD a premonition ? To top off this sad story, Jimmy Doyle after Robinson kod him, died in the very same Hospital that treated Doyle after his ko at the hands of Artie Levine ,short months before. !!! A sad story about a very good boxer Jimmy Doyle. As JFK said, "life is not fair".
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What an outragous statement.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

you know it amazes me the amount of people who can disregard thoughts, memories and reports from people that were ACTUALLY THERE...

why would that be outragous, MAYBE SRR didn't give a monkey's toss at the death of his opponent, maybe it was just all in a days work or worse maybe he was just heartless enough that it didn't trouble him at all.

I mean most people I know are decent loving caring people, but I also know some heartless pigs that really don't care much about their fellowman, so whats the surprise if Ray Robinson was a cunt, he might have been.

Last edited by thistle1; 02-04-2013 at 06:12 AM.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
What an outragous statement.
If you knew SRR, you wouldn't think it outrageous, E
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If you read the book by Ray Robinson Jnr you get the impression SRR was not a very nice man, cruel to wife & child. Either Carmen Basilio or Gene Fullmer hated Ray for deliberately ignoring him, calling Ray an arrogant SOB.

Burt or John may be able to clarify this - my late father used to tell me that when Robinson was asked about if he intended to hurt Doyle, Ray stated he was in the business to hurt people (which is true but hardly contrite).
scribbs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum