Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vassiliy Jirov vs. Tomasz Adamek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I think body shots might be a key for Jirov. He could dig, and even realtively light-hitting Cunningham bothered Adamek visibly with them.
That is true, I just see Adamek being just a hair better. I agree with the above poster who said that out of a trilogy, it would likely be 2-1 in one favor or the other or 1-1-1.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Yeah, the more I think about it I can see Jirov softening up the body and getting the arms to drop and then planting a few prayers on the jaw to put Goral away.

Then again, I can see Adamek outlasting and overwhelming him en route to a hard-flurrying TKO.

Or either taking a close/split/majority decision.

Or a three card draw.

Anything is possible. (except boredom )
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd take Adamek. I think he was a bit bigger, hit a bit harder, and was just a bit better.

I think he'd come out and find Jirov easy to hit with right hands early, Jirov would get to the body in the middle rounds and make it very close, and Adamek, in typical Adamek fashion, starts letting it fly to shade the back nine en route to a 115-113 victory.

I can see Adamek scoring the flash knockdown in this match up if one occurs, too, which tipped me over the edge.

Great fight, great war, and it'd probably be a trilogy.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Bobo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 192

jesus christ I can imagine 2-1 to either of them in a trilogy. WARS. I'm a big fan of both. Of course Adamek never had someone attacking his body like Jirov would. but Adamek is a tough tough guy with good skills. I'd favor Jirov if you want one or the other. both are old school fighters

***y avatar
<<------------

I can't find that guy's channel on youtube anymore who had a bunch of Jirov's fights like Dale Brown, Arthur Williams, Saul Montana. Awesome fights.

Last edited by Bobo; 02-01-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Bobo is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
Bobo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 192

I don't think there's much to suggest Adamek hits harder than Jirov. Adamek was the more textbook and sharp with his straight right. The knockdowns against Cunningham were sharp, short right hands that landed right on the button. Jirov looks like he throws slapping shots (similar to how Adamek looks when he's throwing flurries), but his slapping shots looked and sounded like they hurt. In my opnion, Adamek was faster and more accurate with placing his short shots on the chin or wherever, but didn't hit harder. Adamek definitely knew how to deliver that straight right to the jaw though that's for sure.

Take a look at the first couple of punches Jirov throws against Toney in the first round. you can hear the thud on all of them. When Toney lands they are sharp straight punches but they don't look like the kind of heavy shots you get when Jirov lands. or at least that's the feeling I get. (starts at 7:05)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

To compare Adamek and Jirov to similar looking opponents:

Adamek has the boxing approach whereas Jirov has the attack the body and destroy approach, but you still see a difference in power.

Here Jirov stops McGroom with one well placed left to the body. McGroom went 10 rounds with James Toney in a close fight.

it's actually hard to say who had more power, whether you count delivery/accuracy and speed, but in terms of raw power it goes to Jirov.

that's the way I see it
Bobo is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I don't think there's much to suggest Adamek hits harder than Jirov. Adamek was the more textbook and sharp with his straight right. The knockdowns against Cunningham were sharp, short right hands that landed right on the button. Jirov looks like he throws slapping shots (similar to how Adamek looks when he's throwing flurries), but his slapping shots looked and sounded like they hurt. In my opnion, Adamek was faster and more accurate with placing his short shots on the chin or wherever, but didn't hit harder. Adamek definitely knew how to deliver that straight right to the jaw though that's for sure.

Take a look at the first couple of punches Jirov throws against Toney in the first round. you can hear the thud on all of them. When Toney lands they are sharp straight punches but they don't look like the kind of heavy shots you get when Jirov lands. or at least that's the feeling I get. (starts at 7:05)

To compare Adamek and Jirov to similar looking opponents:

Adamek has the boxing approach whereas Jirov has the attack the body and destroy approach, but you still see a difference in power.

Here Jirov stops McGroom with one well placed left to the body. McGroom went 10 rounds with James Toney in a close fight.

it's actually hard to say who had more power, whether you count delivery/accuracy and speed, but in terms of raw power it goes to Jirov.

that's the way I see it

I see what your saying, but I'd rather be hit hard then hit sharp.

Adamek's right hand is the more dangerous weapon. I am totally comfortable calling him the flash KD threat in the fight. I think he was faster and more accurate, too.

There is a reason Toney was never really in trouble against Jirov, and managed to stagger Vassily several times before dropping him, and that is sharp, short right hands. I think that'd be Adamek's edge.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #22
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post

Adamek I think had slightly more power at the weight; Jirov the slightly better chin.

Adamek more speed, Jirov more skill.

Both could work.
Power - Jirov dropped 230lb Mesi 3 times. Mesi had fought Cooper, Barret, Williamson, Izon, Gonzalez and had a solid HW chin. The first KD was from one solid shot and Mesi was down and seriously hurt. The fact that he carried his power up to HW demonstrates to me that he's the harder puncher. Jirov weighed 209 at the offical weigh in but HBO did pre-fight weights and he was 203. He drank tons of water before the fight to be as heavy as possible.

Adamek was not a swarmer or volume puncher at CW like he was at LHW. He was a boxer/puncher or stalking counter puncher (like against USS or Banks who were always on the backfoot) who threw about 50 punches per round. Jirov's pressure, volume and crowding would make it near impossible for Tomasz to fight the way he did at CW.

Adamek needs more time to operate when trying to box and be more responsible, that wouldn't happen against Jirov whose iron will would force Adamek to either trade and go to war or get rolled over. When Adamek gets into a fire fight like at LHW vs Briggs his defense is pretty terrible. Jirov wins it imo.

Jirov could box too although he rarely showed it as a pro. He outboxed Troy Ross at the 96 Olympics and also beat Tarver and Julio Gonzalez on his way to being a Val Barker winner. In the Brown and Castro fights you see him use some of his skills rather than war mode 100% of the time.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

Adamek's right hand is the more dangerous weapon. I am totally comfortable calling him the flash KD threat in the fight. I think he was faster and more accurate, too.

There is a reason Toney was never really in trouble against Jirov, and managed to stagger Vassily several times before dropping him, and that is sharp, short right hands. I think that'd be Adamek's edge.
Yeah because Toney has an ATG chin that held up from MW - HW against 240-250lb punchers like Rahman, Peter and Ruiz. Acting like that's a knock against Jirov's power isn't very factual imo.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

I'd honestly be shocked if both didn't get knocked down.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Jirov was downright EVIL in his prime. And he had a subtler game than given credit for. I think he tatoos Adamek before scorin a stoppage sometime after the ninth.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

I loved Jirov. Great SP style with great body punching, active as hell. I'll probably throw money on Jirov if I was a betting man. His activity and bodyshots would pull it out for him as Adamek tends to get a bit cute at times and stays inactive.
turbotime is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum