boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
bruiserh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO power?

The hype and popularity of the likes of GGG and Martinez is because they are boxers that also have the ability to hand out devastating KO's/stoppages. At least internationally, will Geale's lack of KO power make him more difficult to sell to the US? Audiences like KO's or at least the possibility a boxer can meet them out.

Geale has said on several occasions that he has worked on his power but it hasnt seemed to eventuate.

I ask this anyway as a Geale supporter, not trying to trash him.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
hammerofthor
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

To an extent, yes
hammerofthor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rural OZ
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 1044
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

I guess it will be to some, stoppages are always exciting.

Don't forget though, the higher the level of opposition, the less likely stoppages happen.

Not knocking GGG, but it's not difficult to have a career full of KO's when all you fight are cans.
Let's see if the style of winning changes for him when he steps it up.
Sox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserh View Post
The hype and popularity of the likes of GGG and Martinez is because they are boxers that also have the ability to hand out devastating KO's/stoppages. At least internationally, will Geale's lack of KO power make him more difficult to sell to the US? Audiences like KO's or at least the possibility a boxer can meet them out.

Geale has said on several occasions that he has worked on his power but it hasnt seemed to eventuate.

I ask this anyway as a Geale supporter, not trying to trash him.

Yep, its why the seppos didn't warm to Calzaghe as well

It's human nature to like a KO artist. People like to see the Mike Tyson type devastation.
kel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
HookMeister
Mercurial
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Red Dirt
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserh View Post
... will Geale's lack of KO power make him more difficult to sell to the US?
Not if he's marketed properly. Use the fact Geale isn't a power hitter.
Initially, something like this -

1/ He's earned two belts - he deserves to be fighting in the top echelon.

2/ He's not a power hitter - he must be vulnerable to the flashier guys that pop
(we know that's not rational, but we're talking marketing to the masses here.)

As Geale shows he's around for the long haul -

3/ Geale - the work rate master ( a la Calzaghe) with a big ****nal of punches and top notch ring smarts.

4/ Geale - The Stayer - he's the man still standing and victorious at the end of each bout
(how does he do it?! - because he is 'The Real Deal'.

As with Kostya, the marketable profile reveals more of itself as the victories pile up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserh View Post
Audiences like KO's or at least the possibility a boxer can meet them out.
People didn't go to see Calzaghe because they thought they were going to see him knock someone out.
They wanted to see his skills and his ability to work his opponent out.
There's plenty of room for Geale at the top in people's minds.
And he will knock people out. This fella is still discovering his potential.
HookMeister is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiserh View Post
The hype and popularity of the likes of GGG and Martinez is because they are boxers that also have the ability to hand out devastating KO's/stoppages. At least internationally, will Geale's lack of KO power make him more difficult to sell to the US? Audiences like KO's or at least the possibility a boxer can meet them out.

Geale has said on several occasions that he has worked on his power but it hasnt seemed to eventuate.

I ask this anyway as a Geale supporter, not trying to trash him.
The first step in getting hype and popularity is WINNING, and Daniel Geale is very good at that.

But your point about GGG in particular, and his power is valid, and the reason people are in awe of him.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,261
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

Yes the British commentators oohed and aahed over his boxing skills but Yanks like wham,bam,wollop KO artists.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
Yes the British commentators oohed and aahed over his boxing skills but Yanks like wham,bam,wollop KO artists.
Agreed and as Kel said the yanks seldom warm to a boxer , personally I would much rather see a solid 12 rounder chess match as opposed to a crash bang wallop done and dusted three rounder anyway of the week , but then again I'm an old fart who likes to get his money's worth ,
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rural OZ
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 1044
Default Re: Is Geale's popularity here and overseas tempered by the fact he doesnt have KO po

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Agreed and as Kel said the yanks seldom warm to a boxer , personally I would much rather see a solid 12 rounder chess match as opposed to a crash bang wallop done and dusted three rounder anyway of the week , but then again I'm an old fart who likes to get his money's worth ,
Same here Josey, I actually really enjoyed the fight with Geale/Mandy the other night, and even todays Sturm/Soliman fight was good.
Sox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015