Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #31
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Aldo - Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Aldo definitely doesn't have the better foot speed. Hand speed is about even, I'd say. It comes down to Edgar's movement vs. Aldo's movement killing leg kicks and whether he can find the range for them. Also, whether or not Aldo can hold off Frankie's wrestling.

I don't understand people calling a blow-out for Aldo. 1st round TKO? Really? Against Frankie ****ing Edgar?
Aldo doesn't WASTE energy by endlessly bouncing around on his feet is what you should say. Edgar appears to be faster on his feet, because he is constantly bouncing around. Aldo can close the distance faster though, and this will be clear tomorrow night. Watch how fast Aldo moves on his feet when he needs to avoid a takedown, he's faster than Edgar.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Yeah, Edgar moves around a lot, but I don't see it befuddling Aldo as much as it has against prior opponents. Edgar is going to be in danger every time he is in Aldo's range.

Also, I see Aldo using a lot of inside leg kicks tomorrow night, which will prove harder for Frankie to catch.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #33
elixirvtec
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

edgar is going to try and do 5 rounds and leave it to the judges which didn't work out for him his last 2 fights. Aldo on the hand is gonna look for the kill. Aldo has explosive speed which is faster than edgar bouncing around speed. which makes aldo more unpredictable. Edgar has never been knocked out. But I have a feeling he will tomorrow night
elixirvtec is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #34
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

It surprised me that Aldo looked clearly bigger at the weigh-in.

And apparently Aldo has a cut over his eye that still has stitches in. He reckons he's not worried, but that could turn out to be a factor.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #35
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Here is what a man who has actually fought Aldo has to say:

Quote:
Kenny Florian's legs will likely start to ache during the main event of Saturday's UFC 156, even though he won't set foot in the Octagon.
Florian knows from experience just how powerful Jose Aldo's leg kicks can be, and he doesn't envy Frankie Edgar, who will almost certainly absorb a few of them.

"I've never been hit harder in my life than when Jose Aldo kicked me," Florian told FightLine, reflecting on his own 2011 showdown against Aldo at UFC 133.

"He kicks like a mule! I trained with a lot of people and I've never experienced a kick that heavy."

The vivid, visceral memory of being pummeled by Aldo – and struggling to neutralize the attack with clinch attempts on the cage – resonates strongly with Florian. But so too does his admiration for Aldo's incredible talents, especially now that Florian is retired and has the benefit of hindsight.

"Jose Aldo does so many things so well that it's like preparing for a whole army of weapons," says the chatty and articulate Florian, whose gift of gab has landed him a job as an MMA broadcast ****yst.

"I was just so impressed with his athleticism and his speed. I thought it was a really good fight, and I thought Aldo deserved to win that fight. To fight with one of the greats and go tit-for-tat with him is something I'll always cherish."

The Florian-Aldo fight was by no means a completely one-sided affair, as it was a grueling grind that went a full five rounds before culminating in a unanimous decision in favor of Aldo.

Although Florian has nothing but praise for Frankie Edgar, he suspects Edgar will suffer a similar fate Saturday at the hands (and feet) of Aldo.

"I pick Jose Aldo to win," Florian says without hesitation. "Those weapons Aldo possesses – the uppercut, the knee, those leg kicks – they could pose a lot of problems for Frankie if (Aldo) starts getting those in early."
If, however, Edgar can survive the first few rounds and keep constant forward pressure on Aldo, Florian believes the advantage could shift later in the fight.

"The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Frankie," says Florian. "If Frankie can take him down repeatedly, right off the bat, that going to get in Jose Aldo's head and create some doubt. If Frankie can break him – if he can show Aldo that he can be taken down – that's going to bode very well for Frankie. If he can do that, especially with his wrestling, we could see a new champion at 145 pounds."

Regardless of whose hand is raised when it's over, Florian expects a "real superfight" between Aldo and Edgar – one that both men will look back on with pride. He's speaking, of course, from experience.

"Fighting Aldo was an unbelievable opportunity for me," Florian says. "To say you've fought one of the greats like Jose Aldo – that's a great point in my career, and something I'll never forget."
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #36
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542

Aldo decision

Edgar should of been a feather his whole career but opted to fight at 155 to give himself an edge in speed & movement (His main attributes) at 145 those advantages go away, Yes he'll be lighter so in theory should be faster but i don't think his sped will be anything Aldo hasn't seen before. Its his first time making a weight cut and its a 5 round fight so we don't know how that will affect.

Aldo doesn't really have weight issues, he struggled the last time because he was on heavy antibiotics recovering from a bad staph infection which seriously ****ed up his cut. My only worry with Aldo is how he deals with the year long layoff.

Style wise this is a terrible matchup for Edgar. He's not a finish first fighter he's a point fighter who uses speed & movement to dart in and out of exchanges mixing up striking with takedowns to score points, there's a few problems with that.

(1) He's never ever going to outstrike Aldo, he doesn't have the tools.

(2) Aldo has the best takedown defense in the ufc bar none, he's stopped 52 out of 55 takedown attempts so Edgar will have a nightmare getting him down. even if he does manage to get him down a few times, he wont keep him down because he never does, he's not a lay n pray or ground n pound guy, he gets takedowns to score points not to get a dominant position and hold it.

(3) Aldo's the best leg kicker around, once he lands a couple Edgar's main tool of movement will go away and he'll be a sitting duck.

There's only one way i see this fight playing out. Edgar starts fast and has some success early while Aldo shakes off a bit of ring rust, once he does that and starts landing those leg kicks Edgar will slow down and get the living **** beat out him for the remainder of the fight. I don't think Aldo will stop him because Edgar can take it like no one else but he'll leave him looking a lot worse than Henderson did.

I think the 2/1 Aldo decision is a nice price. but that's just my ****ysis if you have a hunch on an Edgar KO don't let me or any one else talk you out of it
brickfists is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #37
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Gotta be Aldo. He is 10x's the finisher Maynard is.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

I gave Aldo the first 3 rounds and Frankie the last 2(what fight did two of those ****wit judges watch?), but why the **** did Aldo stop with the leg kicks?

His reasoning to Rogan just didn't sound believable and Aldo's weight cutting seems to catch up with him in the latter rounds of fights.
KERRIGAN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum