Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Soliman beats Sturm. Does Geale take the fight or drop the IBF MW title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
If Sam means sfa, why was his fight with Sturm featured on both the Channel 7 and Channel 9 6pm news bulletins yesterday evening in Sydney?

In case you hadn't noticed, Wednesday's fight has got a lot of general sports fans talking about boxing again. I haven't seen the Sunday papers yet, but I'll be surprised if there's not a few articles in them as well.

If promoted well, I think Geale v Soliman in Melbourne could draw 5,000. Maybe more with a couple of quality undercard fights.

I'm thinking of going & I don't live in Melbourne. A fight with Sam presents another great opportunity for Geale to build his profile in Australia.
ppv is the money isnt it?
swingin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0
Default Re: Soliman beats Sturm. Does Geale take the fight or drop the IBF MW title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
ppv is the money isnt it?
Yes, but how many turn up live is a good indication of the general interest in the fight which then translates into ppv.

Geale v Soliman is a much more interesting fight than it was a week ago.

Just checking the Sunday papers, Geale's camp are already talking about putting it on in Melbourne in May.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
Yes, but how many turn up live is a good indication of the general interest in the fight which then translates into ppv.

Geale v Soliman is a much more interesting fight than it was a week ago.

Just checking the Sunday papers, Geale's camp are already talking about putting it on in Melbourne in May.
well its been suggested they fight in melbourne or tassie because that s the closest to geales fan base, so they CAN get a crowd. so obviously they think that it doesnt hold as much interest in other parts of australia. it shows that there is limited appeal for the fight, and that may translate into less ppv.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
well its been suggested they fight in melbourne or tassie because that s the closest to geales fan base, so they CAN get a crowd. so obviously they think that it doesnt hold as much interest in other parts of australia. it shows that there is limited appeal for the fight, and that may translate into less ppv.
I think this has the potential to be a real big fight in Melbourne with appeal to sports fans generally rather than just to boxing fans.

Two world class middleweights at the top of their games going at it for a major world championship.

I'll be going.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #35
OSKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Think you all might be surprised at the interest it will show in Melb.
My feelings are that it will nearly be a sold out crowd if held in Melbourne......and they manage to get a few decent under cards.
OSKA is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #36
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKA View Post
Think you all might be surprised at the interest it will show in Melb.
My feelings are that it will nearly be a sold out crowd if held in Melbourne......and they manage to get a few decent under cards.
I think that's right, mate.

The Melbourne sports fraternity hates to be outdone by Sydney in anything so I think they will support this fight in a big way.

They'll go all out to outdo Geale v Mundine II.

The timing of this fight is right & it should be a success.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #37
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

It will do a lot better than the Albert and Adama fights IMO.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #38
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I can't believe Sam beat Sturm.............what an effort..........I gave him absolutely no chance in that fight..............well done team Soliman.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #39
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Solomon has already earned his shot.. then was relinquished. Now after Sturm he's top 5 middleweight in the world above Macklin, Murray, Pirog and JCC JR according to boxrec. (ring has yet to update)

There seems to be plenty of incentive for Geale and there could be a lot of local interest for this fight. He's raised his public profile and building a strong following after Mundine. To further his negotiations in a Martinez fight Australia needs show interest.

Martinez and the WBC will probably carry on with a silly JCC JR rematch after he's done with Martin. If not the case, Geale will be ready and the next best possible opponent for Martinez.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 02-03-2013 at 01:39 AM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #40
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Geez, well done King Soliman, yet another Aussie who managed to go to Germany and win a unanimous points decision.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #41
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
I can't believe Sam beat Sturm.............what an effort..........I gave him absolutely no chance in that fight..............well done team Soliman.
He come from behind to do it too. The guy is fit as **** for 39 and purely outworked Sturm after the 4th. Sturm seemed to fade badly the compubox stats are over at the scene, amazing. Though he won't be able to do that with Gealzaghe.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #42
OSKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
He come from behind to do it too. The guy is fit as **** for 39 and purely outworked Sturm after the 4th. Sturm seemed to fade badly the compubox stats are over at the scene, amazing. Though he won't be able to do that with Gealzaghe.
Not bad...the last 4 rounds he was throwing roughly 100 punches per round

954 punches thrown to 354 in fav of Sammy...sammy landing 24% and sturm landing 28%
OSKA is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #43
4n20
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKA View Post
Not bad...the last 4 rounds he was throwing roughly 100 punches per round

954 punches thrown to 354 in fav of Sammy...sammy landing 24% and sturm landing 28%
I've only managed to see the 2nd half of the fight so far via youtube. Thought Soliman swept all the rounds and it looks like the stats support it.

Geale v Soliman isn't a bad fight. Plenty of punches to be thrown although it will definitely go to a decision. Neither punches hard enough to stop the other.
4n20 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
lvthefightgame
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Where does this rank soliman he must be in the top 10 rankings with that win i would think. if so i hope he gets a shot at the title but who is it against govolkin or geale i still class geale as the real champ (not sure if WBA stripped geale) if they have stripped him he might fight govolkin. i would much rather see another all aussie affair not sure geale will take that fight as he could get much bigger fights but the punches thown in a fight with them to would be something to see. so i hope they fight in aus in the next few months & well done sammy great job & a great win for the Record. cheers guys
lvthefightgame is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #45
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Could have swore I read at least 3 piss take posts last Thursday saying Mundine will probably fight Soliman again in the "what's next for mundine" thread.4 days later, and all of a sudden Soliman is a world class boxer worthy of fighting Geale.

Just sayin yo.
pecks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum