Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Yeah what Virus said, just the general mentality of people. In past generations it was all about how hard you could work, these days it's about what you can get away with. There are pluses and minuses to both sides.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

I dont get why Dealt with has to try to convince us to change something if you dont agree with this just leave the thread alone i mean c'mon, whats the point of you doing this why are you so desperate to change peoples minds about training programs
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #18
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 174
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

I agree with him that sparring is the best exercise for a boxer. There is no substitute, that at least hasn't changed
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
I dont get why Dealt with has to try to convince us to change something if you dont agree with this just leave the thread alone i mean c'mon, whats the point of you doing this why are you so desperate to change peoples minds about training programs
Why would somebody avoid posting scientifically valid information to help further people's knowledge?
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #20
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
I'm just saying I don't understand why anybody would look to an old timer for training advice, many of his ideas are obviously out of date. Just because you were good at something doesn't mean you know the best way to go about things either. Dempsey was a cruiser by todays standards so you shouldn't compare him to heavyweights, compare him to a cruiser David Haye or Holyfield.
Its infuriating the way people look at athletes as some kind of irrefutable source of knowledge. You are a credit to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
I agree with him that sparring is the best exercise for a boxer. There is no substitute, that at least hasn't changed
Its also a great way to be a walking vegetable by the time you are 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Why would somebody avoid posting scientifically valid information to help further people's knowledge?
Must have some kind of agenda, he really should just stop posting and trying to educate. I used to have a bunch of cunts like him at school.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 AM   #21
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Its infuriating the way people look at athletes as some kind of irrefutable source of knowledge. You are a credit to this forum.
Yeah, you shouldnt may any attention to guys who actually won world championships..but some dude who says he does S&C for a rugby team, by all means follow what he says as Gospel.

Its also a great way to be a walking vegetable by the time you are 40
Definitely can't be all you do...you don't want to take the James Toney approach..however if you actually want to fight..it is the most important thing. If he are great in the weight room, great on the track..great on the road..great at jump rope, great on the speed bag, slip bag, double end bag, heavybag, great in mitts...but suck in sparring..chances are pretty good you will suck in a fight (minus a few other considerations). However, if you suck in the weight room, suck on the track, suck on mitts...bluh bluh bluh, but are a monster sparring..chances are you will kick ass in a fight.

Must have some kind of agenda, he really should just stop posting and trying to educate. I used to have a bunch of cunts like him at school.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #22
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

I'll listen to boxers and trainers on matters regarding boxing as an art and discipline. But as said in another thread on boxers many reach elite levels despite their training/nutrition rather than because of it. Paul Williams was a high level boxer should I follow his technique of spending 90% of my time on conditioning? I listen to people who have scientific knowledge rather than anecdotal. We know more than we used to so why should I ignore that because some black and white boxer had ideas based on experience with no scientific grounding? You wouldn't do that in anything else so why should I when it comes to boxing?

I was being a bit flippant I think sparring is the best thing you can do if you are doing it properly. I see too many people who just try and recreate a fight all the time and although that has a place doing it everyday is not going to be an efficient use of time.

Whats the puzzled face for?
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #23
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 174
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post

Its also a great way to be a walking vegetable by the time you are 40
Any pro boxer will tell you sparrring is the most part of training camp. Learn some defense and you will be fine when your 80

of course, its good to compliment it with the rest of a boxers typical regimen
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #24
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 1885
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Like I said to johnstown I wasn't being that serious I think structured intelligent sparring is the best thing you can do as a boxer. I also think a lot of the damage done in sparring can be reduced if people used sparring more intelligently and didn't just try have a fight.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #25
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Like I said to johnstown I wasn't being that serious I think structured intelligent sparring is the best thing you can do as a boxer. I also think a lot of the damage done in sparring can be reduced if people used sparring more intelligently and didn't just try have a fight.
I spar now and take almost no damage..i have learned enough about defense..and i will pull myself out when getting gassed. Having said that..i took some hellish beatings my first year or so of boxing. I had no real skills...going up against guys much bigger (150 to 200 sometimes) or guys who were golden glove level open class fighters or even pros. My trainer would have you go to war..and I was "tough" or stupid enough to stay in and go hard. If i start to get dementia at 60 i will blame that shit..but...i think if you have a smart trainer you are likely to be fine.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #26
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 515
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
I agree with him that sparring is the best exercise for a boxer. There is no substitute, that at least hasn't changed
Ofc it is but you cannot go all out on every sparring cause youre gonna be a vegetable.
Controled and light sparring is great,working on technique,angles.
I do hard sparing once a week.It suits me great.
Btw its nice to see how old boxers trained but i wouldnt pay much attention to it.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #27
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
I spar now and take almost no damage..i have learned enough about defense..and i will pull myself out when getting gassed. Having said that..i took some hellish beatings my first year or so of boxing. I had no real skills...going up against guys much bigger (150 to 200 sometimes) or guys who were golden glove level open class fighters or even pros. My trainer would have you go to war..and I was "tough" or stupid enough to stay in and go hard. If i start to get dementia at 60 i will blame that shit..but...i think if you have a smart trainer you are likely to be fine.
You spar now and take almost no damage because you spar against 100 pound 13 year olds
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
You spar now and take almost no damage because you spar against 100 pound 13 year olds
I also spar against a 170 pound 19 year old boxer and 220 pound pro mma fighter as of now as well...

and the 13 year old kid is actually 120....and he would school your ass even if you tried to go 100%
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #29
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
I also spar against a 170 pound 19 year old boxer and 220 pound pro mma fighter as of now as well...

and the 13 year old kid is actually 120....and he would school your ass even if you tried to go 100%
Is that because he schools your ass when you go 100% (see Johnstown thread boasting about hurting a little kid because he was afraid of what people who he doesn't know thought when he was getting bashed)? You don't know who I am. What you're doing is called projecting, you should know about that Mr. community college psych man
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jack Dempsey advice on training

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Is that because he schools your ass when you go 100% (see Johnstown thread boasting about hurting a little kid because he was afraid of what people who he doesn't know thought when he was getting bashed)? You don't know who I am. What you're doing is called projecting, you should know about that Mr. community college psych man
not what i posted actually
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013