boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #31
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681
Default Re: Besides Hagler/Lennox Lewis/Calzaghe/Marciano, who else retired at the perfect ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
He really did.
We could say the same thing about Hagler then. Hagler was only 32 when he retired.
MVC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #32
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495
Default Re: Besides Hagler/Lennox Lewis/Calzaghe/Marciano, who else retired at the perfect ti

Marciano beat nothing but shop worn walcott, Charles, an a shot to pieces louis. Some people actually try to argue that they still had anything left lol...At least Hagler beat prime solid fighters. The win over Hearns is better than any scalp Marciano ever had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
We could say the same thing about Hagler then. Hagler was only 32 when he retired.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #33
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Something left?

Walcott was the champion and Charles, Moore and Louis were the highest ranked opponents he could face.

criticism of who Rocky faced demonstrates a poor understanding of his era.

To answer the question though my top 5 list would be:

Marciano
Tunney
Lewis
Monzon
Lopez

There are others who retired at a good time for their career but never quite received the recognition they deserved during it so an argument could be made the retirement was bad (like packey for instance)
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #34
El Lucho
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexrapper 1 View Post
Ricardo Lopez

definitly.
El Lucho is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #35
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Sven Ottke.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #36
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah keep telling yourself that lol. Rocky did **** at heavyweight an came around at the exact right time. I watched that era at 26 probably more than you have. Some people have him at number 3 an 4 is a ****in
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Something left?

Walcott was the champion and Charles, Moore and Louis were the highest ranked opponents he could face.

criticism of who Rocky faced demonstrates a poor understanding of his era.

To answer the question though my top 5 list would be:

Marciano
Tunney
Lewis
Monzon
Lopez

There are others who retired at a good time for their career but never quite received the recognition they deserved during it so an argument could be made the retirement was bad (like packey for instance)
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #37
IvyLeagueBoxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Finito
IvyLeagueBoxing is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah keep telling yourself that lol. Rocky did **** at heavyweight an came around at the exact right time. I watched that era at 26 probably more than you have. Some people have him at number 3 an 4 is a ****in
keep telling myself that? how could I tell myself anything different? Walcott was the champion, Louis, Charles and Moore were the highest ranked opponents he could face.

Damn right he's my number 4, how many champions can rival his dominance?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #39
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The fact that they were highest ranked tells you all you need to know about that period. The division was at a turning point an one of the worst in history. It made the mid 80's look golden. Walcott was a spotholder at that point. (my favorite heavyweight ever). Ill admit the Archie win was good an he was fresh on his run up to that fight. Louis was a corpse, Ezzard badly faded an flat. Roland an Don. Lol.... You an my grandpa with Marciano ill tell ya. Its cool though your still one of my favorite posters to read here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
keep telling myself that? how could I tell myself anything different? Walcott was the champion, Louis, Charles and Moore were the highest ranked opponents he could face.

Damn right he's my number 4, how many champions can rival his dominance?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #40
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
The fact that they were highest ranked tells you all you need to know about that period. The division was at a turning point an one of the worst in history. It made the mid 80's look golden. Walcott was a spotholder at that point. (my favorite heavyweight ever). Ill admit the Archie win was good an he was fresh on his run up to that fight. Louis was a corpse, Ezzard badly faded an flat. Roland an Don. Lol.... You an my grandpa with Marciano ill tell ya. Its cool though your still one of my favorite posters to read here
maybe it was a weak period but rocky did what he had to do and cleaned the division out.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #41
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Sugar Shane Robinson never fought Hagler, that was Sugar Randy Leonard.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #42
mick557
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hamed
mick557 is online now  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #43
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Randy Leonard was great. What was your favorite fight of his? I thought he looked a bit limited against Bob Duran but he was spec-****ing-tacular against Timmy Hearns. Mark Hagler was older when they fought, though.
He certainly ducked Fat Lawson.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #44
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Spinks
Tszyu

They lost their last fights but I believe they both cashed out at the perfect time.
Son of Gaul is online now  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
You're a re****.

This isn't a discussion of ATG status, this is a discussion of retiring at the ideal time. You God Damn Re****.
Calzaghe retired at the "right" time?, how more of a dumb piece of **** can you possibly be?
Scar is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum