Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #121
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515
Default Re: best muscles to work out for punching power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP_Mauler View Post
Look virus knows about weight lifting but he knows sweet fk all about the science of boxing.
So by your logic if you want to be a s&c coach for some boxers you should have trained boxing?
pecho26 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #122
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP_Mauler View Post
Look virus knows about weight lifting but he knows sweet fk all about the science of boxing.
This is true. And...?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #123
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
So by your logic if you want to be a s&c coach for some boxers you should have trained boxing?
Nahhhh, but i would say you should have a very good understanding of all the mechinches involved in boxing...i would say you could gain that in a observational way...both as a fan and by academic study. Might be helpful to actually have boxed as well however..but its not imperative. But you should definitely KNOW boxing...which virus has just admitted he doesn't...so....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #124
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Nahhhh, but i would say you should have a very good understanding of all the mechinches involved in boxing...i would say you could gain that in a observational way...both as a fan and by academic study.
Explain why I need to know the mechanics of boxing. Obviously certain lifts could help with movements used in boxing but nothing can be specific to boxing. So why would I need to know?

Quote:
Might be helpful to actually have boxed as well however..but its not imperative. But you should definitely KNOW boxing...which virus has just admitted he doesn't...so....
What does that mean, you should KNOW boxing? What? The only thing a strength and conditioning coach needs to know are the stresses the body is put under during a specific event.

Last edited by viru§™; 02-03-2013 at 09:12 AM.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #125
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Explain why I need to know the mechanics of boxing. Obviously certain lifts could help with movements used in boxing but nothing can be specific to boxing. So why would I need to know?

I would say you should know what kind of boxing training a boxer does..if for no other reason than to help mold what you do and avoid over training. Certain muscles come into boxing more than others....i think it is reasonable to know which are used to help you figure out what the strength workouts will be. Take football (american kind) back in the old days everyone did the same lifting workouts, mostly 5x5, which was basically constructed for linemen..the guys who "need" lifting/strength most (or so people would think) now different positons do train differently in the weight room..based on what they do in their position. So clearly i would make sense to know what a boxer does.

What does that mean, you should KNOW boxing? What? The only thing a strength and conditioning coach needs to know are the stresses the body is put under during a specific event.

See above

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #126
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You are a child Virus...

if you do the type of training that causes hypertrophy will you get stronger than if you do nothing? sure you will. Body builders are after all stronger than your average guy who does no training. But is it the best way to gain strength? no...is it what guys in strength sports shot for...no. now

Now if you are a boxer..and you fight at 147...should you be doing bodybuilder type workouts...**** no..why..it could give you problems gaining weight (of course Dealt says you wont actually gain enough weight to matter...so why than do body builders do it too get bigger?) its a waste of time and counter productive.

also, everything that I have ever seen says that muscles use oxygen..if you make a muscle bigger, its going to use more oxygen..if it doesnt actually get much stronger..you are shooting yourself in the foot in a sport that is both anerobic as well as aerobic.
Hey Johnstown do you know what really doesn't use up oxygen? Fat. Is that why you're 5'9 and 235 pounds (I'm not making this up btw, Johnstown sent me a PM telling me this)? Do you know what really cause your strength to weight ratio to decrease and causes your body to work overtime? FAT. You are a fat boy beating up on kids
How can anyone take you seriously on training or boxing when you're a small man weighing 235 pounds? If you were saying things that were correct I wouldn't hold your weight against you, but when you can't talk the talk OR walk the walk then you have no credibility. Talking about beating my ass..
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #127
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Hey Johnstown do you know what really doesn't use up oxygen? Fat. Is that why you're 5'9 and 235 pounds (I'm not making this up btw, Johnstown sent me a PM telling me this)? Do you know what really cause your strength to weight ratio to decrease and causes your body to work overtime? FAT. You are a fat boy beating up on kids
How can anyone take you seriously on training or boxing when you're a small man weighing 235 pounds? If you were saying things that were correct I wouldn't hold your weight against you, but when you can't talk the talk OR walk the walk then you have no credibility. Talking about beating my ass..
I am out of shape right now...was at about 200 pounds up until sep 24 than my dad died and that kind of sent me into a mild depression..i just started kind of working out again.

I would still kick your ass though..fat and out of shape even back around christmas when i was in my worst shape id own you because i have actually trained to fight and just the timing makes a huge difference
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #128
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I am out of shape right now...was at about 200 pounds up until sep 24 than my dad died and that kind of sent me into a mild depression..i just started kind of working out again.

I would still kick your ass though..fat and out of shape even back around christmas when i was in my worst shape id own you because i have actually trained to fight and just the timing makes a huge difference
I don't care about your life story. And what makes you think I haven't fought before? Because I don't pull the 'I've boxed before so I know better' card?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #129
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't care about your life story. And what makes you think I haven't fought before? Because I don't pull the 'I've boxed before so I know better' card?
because you havent
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #130
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
because you havent
I have
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #131
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I have
hmmmm a mexican standoff....well fly to Pittsburgh pa and we can settle things at Tom Yankello's World Class Boxing Gym, I will call MMJoe, he will film it.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #132
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
hmmmm a mexican standoff....well fly to Pittsburgh pa and we can settle things at Tom Yankello's World Class Boxing Gym, I will call MMJoe, he will film it.
Stop thinking about Mexico, their food isn't good for your ever expanding waistline.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #133
Mighty_Fighter
mightyfighter.com

Obviously your entire body works as one unit to deliver power, but the power starts from your lower body.

Feet (pivot) > Knees (Sitting down on your punch) > Hips (Rotate)

Get your lower body technique correct and it'll transfer efficient energy to your upper body.

A weak foundation means that you'll just end up throwing "arm punches".
Mighty_Fighter is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #134
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How ****in hard is lifting weights?

Keep your back straight and lift...

Any dumb mother ****er can lift weights.

There is a guy on bodybuilding.com that only lifts bodyweight, named omega or some ****.

He never lifted weights, only bodyweight.

First time squatting 365 lbs.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #135
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
How ****in hard is lifting weights?

Keep your back straight and lift...

Any dumb mother ****er can lift weights.

There is a guy on bodybuilding.com that only lifts bodyweight, named omega or some ****.

He never lifted weights, only bodyweight.

First time squatting 365 lbs.
ehhhh bit more to it than that...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing