Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #106
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
I think you should be focused - neither angry not calm.. Just focused on the task. After 60 fights its impossible to be angry with everyone when you fight.... Unless your Roberto Duran.
ATG Stanley Ketchell, used to psych himself up by imagining that his oppt called his mama some naughty names. Hagler almost had a mantra to get him ready to duke it out with somebody. Find something that works to get yourself ready.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #107
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
Jeff do you get nervous? Do you feed off it or does it suck?
Yes but nerves are good....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #108
Kautilya
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: India
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

If some1 wishes to become a pro what should he do?
Kautilya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #109
Kautilya
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: India
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Which weight do you fight in and what is your walking weight?
Kautilya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #110
Kautilya
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: India
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

How many amateur fight did you have?
Kautilya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #111
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautilya View Post
If some1 wishes to become a pro what should he do?
Approach a manager if they aren't approaching you
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #112
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautilya View Post
how many amateur fight did you have?
38
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #113
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautilya View Post
Which weight do you fight in and what is your walking weight?
Super feather- middle.. I walk around at 12 1/2 stone. Still train every day.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #114
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
Do you think strong emotions like anger can be used to your advantage in the ring? They said Trinidad lost to Hopkins because he let Hopkins get him angry with the flag incident. They said Khan lost to Garcia because he was angry at Garcia's dad and tried to go for the KO. Must you always be emotionless? I mean, surely it's emotion that drives you on in the first place, right?
Emotion can only spark something, it can never keep it burning. Everybody who is a master at anything explains being in the zone as autonomous, completely emotionless. If you're emotional you're not in the moment, and being in the moment is vital for success. Brain scans looking at activity in psychopaths and various experts performing their task show that brain activation is remarkably similar. Cold, calculated, unafraid and focusing only on what is in front of you right now. The same brain activity is found in buddhist monks.
Emotional regulation is the key to optimal performance, when a psychopath or an expert is confronted with a task they experience the same adrenaline and increased heart rate in anticipation as a 'normal' person, when the activity or situation begins the psychopath and expert actually slow their heart rate down and become calm in the face of adversity, that emotional stuff is buried and they're focused completely on their task. The person who gets emotional has their heart rate increase further, they go into survival mode and make poor decisions. If you're extremely fatigued or not switched on then some emotion can help performance for a short time, but that's only a brief surge.
Train your ability to turn on that cold switch, that focus switch. When you're emotional you're not focused.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #115
Melchior
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Emotion can only spark something, it can never keep it burning. Everybody who is a master at anything explains being in the zone as autonomous, completely emotionless. If you're emotional you're not in the moment, and being in the moment is vital for success. Brain scans looking at activity in psychopaths and various experts performing their task show that brain activation is remarkably similar. Cold, calculated, unafraid and focusing only on what is in front of you right now. The same brain activity is found in buddhist monks.
Emotional regulation is the key to optimal performance, when a psychopath or an expert is confronted with a task they experience the same adrenaline and increased heart rate in anticipation as a 'normal' person, when the activity or situation begins the psychopath and expert actually slow their heart rate down and become calm in the face of adversity, that emotional stuff is buried and they're focused completely on their task. The person who gets emotional has their heart rate increase further, they go into survival mode and make poor decisions. If you're extremely fatigued or not switched on then some emotion can help performance for a short time, but that's only a brief surge.
Train your ability to turn on that cold switch, that focus switch. When you're emotional you're not focused.
I've been reading up about meditation and it seems it's about living in the moment, seeing thoughts as just thoughts, and accepting your given situation as it is and then trying from that to make the best decision. Hope that made sense.

Actually there doesn't seem to be any negative side to meditation.

Just wanted to hear your opinion on meditation.

Sorry for hijacking your thread BB.
Melchior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #116
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
I've been reading up about meditation and it seems it's about living in the moment, seeing thoughts as just thoughts, and accepting your given situation as it is and then trying from that to make the best decision. Hope that made sense.

Actually there doesn't seem to be any negative side to meditation.

Just wanted to hear your opinion on meditation.

Sorry for hijacking your thread BB.
With Meditation, everything is a Plus, but it takes time, to Kick in. Look up Testing Meditation Harvard Results, interesting.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #117
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

While on the subject, in the 70s, I took some Boxers from the inner City. All with decent Boxing Ability, at the the time, too Meditation Classes. Everybody Laughed at this at the time. Six continued doing Meditation, at the end of the season, those who carried on doing it, became Champions at the end of the year, I wonder.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #118
Kautilya
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: India
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Super feather- middle.. I walk around at 12 1/2 stone. Still train every day.
... You Fight in Britain?
Kautilya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #119
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
I've been reading up about meditation and it seems it's about living in the moment, seeing thoughts as just thoughts, and accepting your given situation as it is and then trying from that to make the best decision. Hope that made sense.

Actually there doesn't seem to be any negative side to meditation.

Just wanted to hear your opinion on meditation.

Sorry for hijacking your thread BB.
Go for it buddy very interesting reading
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #120
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 75
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Do you wish you did anything different (trained harder etc) and do you have any more goals Jeff?
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013