Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
AliShuffle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 575
Default Your first time sparring

What was it like for you? Did you do okay? Get battered? Or realise you had natural talent straight away?

Its weird, I always thought I could be good when I was hitting bags, my hand speed was much faster than most people's etc, so when I stepped in the ring I thought "yeah, I'll be okay at this".. Surprise, my face took a beating. I did alright but you know, clearly lost against someone who was obviously going easy. So does it get easier/ do you get better with more and more sparring?

Any stories?
AliShuffle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
I TuCKeR 93 I

vCash: 1176
Default Re: Your first time sparring

I'm similar, I'm very good on the pads and on the bag, but when I spar i turn too ****, it's very annoying. And I don't seem to be improving, :(.
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2194

i got beat up by my best friend.. i started to box few months earlier then him, but he has some nasty talent.

we did 3 x 3 rounds. last round he threw a flush on me, and i covered with double deck, he jumped out, i lowered hands to see where he is and BANG he jumped back with his rear hand. really nice move

since then, i was training 2 times harder and beaten him up few months later in similar manner but i realised that sparring with him will always be hard, because we are friends, and we know each other very well..

sorry for rubbish english
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I knocked the kid out

Was having so much fun training, then came for the first round of sparring and I got CLOCKED. Hard, hard punch. The kid came at me like a windmill, I freaked, and started throwing back as hard as I could, in wide, looping combinations.

I think the left hook caught him on the chin, then the next 3 or 4 got him flush and he went down and quit.

I was in love.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Mine was lukewarm. Nothing overly good or bad. I've always had natural movement, but my power sucks and my cardio was **** back then. So I looked pretty good for a first timer, with potential - but nothing that would make you think I was gonna be a super talented fighter.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
TheRat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 105

I had a lot of confidence when i first started sparring. none of the punches hurt when youre younger.
TheRat is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550

I sparred the first time about 8 months ago, i was boxing for about 4 weeks, i did some excercises where i would try to hit one of the other gym members, he couldnt throw any punches just parry. I gassed myself within he first half of the round, i took that as a learning experience. then came the day he could hit me back haha, i landed a few "decent shots" 1 clean on, he landed about 25 clean ones as well as an uppercut that made my headgear go flying off! it wasn't until about my 3rd time sparring that i got the hang of it.
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My older brother had done some boxing had played allot of other sports running lifting and things like that. I was never a tough atheltic kid..in 10th grade I got into a fight with a 8th grader..and lost. As it turns out..the kid had been held back one year..and would have been old for his grade, and I was young for my grade, so really he was only about 7 months younger than I...still...he was a 8th grader, i was a 10th grader..and it was embarressing. My brother started having me doing boxing....my brother had learned basic boxing..but he was in love with tyson..so he had tried to learn peak a boo himself..and thats what he taught me to do..very squared up stance..hands high....using a slip bag he made allot. Had his own little gym in the apartment building my dad owned...heavybag, speed bag, double end bag, mitts, slip back, and weight lifting and running. Eventually sparred my brother...i couldnt beat him....he would sometimes be a **** and go pretty hard (I dont talk to him any more for a variety of reasons) Eventually...another boxing gym finally opened in Johnstown pa in 1998...i started going there..eventually got away from the peek a boo style..i just aint fast enough or hard hitting enough for it..i have to use my brains to have success...although i will still use it....down there i did well sparring against the other beginners. Eventually started sparring with Weldon Branche, who was than a golden glove fighter and eventually became a pro..and started getting beat up again.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Actually sparred for my very first time last week. Came away a bit demoralised truth be told. Was doing ok for about a minute , even though u could tell he was just going easy then i just gassed. Too much nervous energy i guess. I dropped my arms to say to trainer ive had enough as i was blowing outta my **** and the guy just clocked me square on with a straight right. Ropes held me up. Lesson number 1. Defend at all times. Sparring againg tomorow and just hope the stamina holds up a bit this time.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Actually sparred for my very first time last week. Came away a bit demoralised truth be told. Was doing ok for about a minute , even though u could tell he was just going easy then i just gassed. Too much nervous energy i guess. I dropped my arms to say to trainer ive had enough as i was blowing outta my **** and the guy just clocked me square on with a straight right. Ropes held me up. Lesson number 1. Defend at all times. Sparring againg tomorow and just hope the stamina holds up a bit this time.
some of that is just the mental aspect..and the only way you will get past that is doing the rounds. But it is also possible you have been doing allot of slow steady training..which has its purpose..but maybe start doing some bag drills like 21s with someone who pushes you..and 1 minute all out bag drills.

another thing is find a decently steep hill...say half a mile up....run up as hard as you can for 3 minutes (assuming those are the rounds you are doing..if you are doing 2 minute rounds..than run for three) than walk down for one minute..than back up for 2 minutes...try to get up to 3 sessions.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

ended up being a punch bag for the better boxers ,, thinking back 28 years ago it must have been for the coach's amusement
123ko is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

I did alright I think, bit s****py and wild of course but I was in with another beginner.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
some of that is just the mental aspect..and the only way you will get past that is doing the rounds. But it is also possible you have been doing allot of slow steady training..which has its purpose..but maybe start doing some bag drills like 21s with someone who pushes you..and 1 minute all out bag drills.

another thing is find a decently steep hill...say half a mile up....run up as hard as you can for 3 minutes (assuming those are the rounds you are doing..if you are doing 2 minute rounds..than run for three) than walk down for one minute..than back up for 2 minutes...try to get up to 3 sessions.
Thanks for the advice. Half my problem i think is im to large on the upper body from years of weight training and minimal cardio. Been told to cut out the weights for a bit.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
DannyBoy1
Baby-Faced Assassin
ESB Jr Member

Its all learning, you can do all the bag work, mitt work you want but until you actualy get in a ring with someone throwing back at you, you wont master your timing, offensively and defensively. Your not going to go in there first time and start feinting, slipping punches and throwing counters, that comes through getting rounds in.

First time i sparred it was with a relatively experienced amatuer a little older than myself, getting over the mental aspect of getting in the ring is the toughest part. Turned into a tear up after a round and pretty much remained that way throughout. Gave as good as i got and came out feeling quite good knowing i could take a decent shot. I think if youve got the heart, everything falls into place afterwards.
DannyBoy1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing