Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 1000
Default When to wear 16 oz gloves

I use to box quite regulary 5 years ago. So i'd wear 16 oz when hitting the pads, on the heavy bag, sparring, etc. Once I decided to quit training at actual gyms.. I thought why am I wearing these things? All I want is a workout and self defense. SO, I hit the bag at my house with 4 oz gloves, hit the mits with 4 oz, etc.
Today I went to a Muah Thai gym, but they focus plenty on boxing. Sparred some, and my cardio with the 16 oz was CRAP. Not surprising I guess since I only do like 1-2 minute rounds here with 4 oz, and did 3 minute rounds there with 16 oz.
Do you guys wear bag gloves, or always continue to wear 16 oz no matter what?
Primenal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

the old theory always was to wear big gloves for just about everything because the extra weight would help cardio and arm endurance, and the extra padding would keep you safer..your hands..and also in sparring your partner. However, some would suggest that you should not, because of biomechnicas, the theory being that just a slight change in weight can throw off how you do things....and hence you should train with what you are going to use. I think that is fine for bit and bag and mitt work...as long as you get good gloves, your be safe. Gets a bit tougher in sparring...and you definitely dont want to be sparring for mma in 4 oz gloves. One side note, plenty of pro boxers wear fight size gloves for sparring in camp for the biomechincal reason i meantioned (I know Pac wears fight gloves in sparring) but they still make the sparring partners wear 16 oz gloves.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Most often in Thai MT camps it's just bag gloves or 6 oz-8 oz lace ups on bag and pads, heavy gloves 14-16 oz when sparring just hands three times a week.

I know alot of boxers are gonna say using the little gloves can increase the damage in your hands and they're probably right, but in MT we don't use the hands nearly as much. I like the speed and accuracy I get form 6 oz gloves on the pads.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

I'm gonna start straying away from 16 oz. I'm 130 pds... what damage could I really do? I mean, it is safer but it also affects your reactions, and timing
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Posts: 870
vCash: 430
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

It all depends on your size. Rule of thumb is 16 oz for sparring. and you can use anything from 8-16oz for the bags and pads.
I like to use 10oz for bags/pads as i like to get more 'pop'
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Well I didn't spar in a few years now. I did make the mistake of being a bit to overconfident before going and worked arms earlier in the day... Then found out they were a MT gym (my buddy mainly invited me to spar hands), and I went through an hour MT training session, along with 3 minute rounds mit work with 16 oz gloves. THEN, I sparred lol.
I think I'm pretty quick, but between the MT wearing me out, the arms I worked earlier in the day and 16 oz gloves I haven't wore in months.. I felt like I was in quick sand. I don't really desire to compete at anything right now, just want to spar more, get a good workout, and self defense. Think I'll stick with shadow boxing bare hands a couple times a week, and when I hit the mits/ bag I'll use the 16s right now. Train for a few weeks, and then go back and spar again once I get my cardio up a bit and use to the 16s. Thanks for all the advice.
Primenal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenal View Post
Well I didn't spar in a few years now. I did make the mistake of being a bit to overconfident before going and worked arms earlier in the day... Then found out they were a MT gym (my buddy mainly invited me to spar hands), and I went through an hour MT training session, along with 3 minute rounds mit work with 16 oz gloves. THEN, I sparred lol.
I think I'm pretty quick, but between the MT wearing me out, the arms I worked earlier in the day and 16 oz gloves I haven't wore in months.. I felt like I was in quick sand. I don't really desire to compete at anything right now, just want to spar more, get a good workout, and self defense. Think I'll stick with shadow boxing bare hands a couple times a week, and when I hit the mits/ bag I'll use the 16s right now. Train for a few weeks, and then go back and spar again once I get my cardio up a bit and use to the 16s. Thanks for all the advice.
you really should spar freash...sounds like a gym were they dont know shit (well not totally fresh, warmed up a bit..but not worn out). I could see sparring at some points when tired..just to get the experience..but for the most part.not a good idea.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
you really should spar freash...sounds like a gym were they dont know shit (well not totally fresh, warmed up a bit..but not worn out). I could see sparring at some points when tired..just to get the experience..but for the most part.not a good idea.
Agreed. Even without me being dumb and lifting earlier in the day.. The MT workout was fairly intense. They did some drills, but they also did plenty of 3 minute rounds on the mits (16 oz gloves) before sparring. I'll be better prepared next time and know what to expect. Maybe get there a little late so I'm not as worn out for the sparring.
Primenal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

The standard is supposed to be to spar with them, and train with 12 or 14, but in my experience people just spar with whatever they're bringing to the gym with them. I think it may have put me at a bit of a speed and power disadvantage.

Also, an aside, having been bullied in the ring and simply gone along, I'm going to purchase 14oz Reyes gloves for all purposes and simply make sure anyone pays for any abuse from a gap in experience or size/weight that they choose to exploit.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 932
vCash: 2835
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Sparring etiquette suggests you wear 16oz unless told otherwise.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 903
vCash: 675
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Also, an aside, having been bullied in the ring and simply gone along, I'm going to purchase 14oz Reyes gloves for all purposes and simply make sure anyone pays for any abuse from a gap in experience or size/weight that they choose to exploit.

That's total bullshit when that happens. ****ing heavier, taller more or less experienced pussies wearing light gloves.
Got a couple of stories for another day.

Last edited by JDK; 02-01-2013 at 02:49 AM.
JDK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
TheRat
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 215
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

sparring, and if you weigh over 150 american pound
TheRat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
TheRat
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 215
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post

That's total bullshit when that happens. ****ing heavier, taller more or less experienced pussies wearing light gloves.
Got a couple of stories for another day.
please share the stories.
TheRat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 1000
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post

That's total bullshit when that happens. ****ing heavier, taller more or less experienced pussies wearing light gloves.
Got a couple of stories for another day.
Lol I also know have seen a couple of people do that. Not usually very popular with the boxing gym, unless there dummies that don't realize the glove difference.
Primenal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 903
vCash: 675
Default Re: When to wear 16 oz gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenal View Post
Lol I also know have seen a couple of people do that. Not usually very popular with the boxing gym, unless there dummies that don't realize the glove difference.
It's always those MMA guys or active military individuals who I assume don't feel right wearing the proper heavier glove.
I don't mind it a whole lot when they come in and spar with the experienced boxers, but they always jump in at opportunistic times with more or less noobs. That's what grinds my gears.
JDK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013