Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Why didn't Naseem Hamed ever fight properly again after Barrera?

Does anyone actually know?

I mean, for me he was a phenomenal fighter, unorthodox switch hitter with crazy corkscrew upper cuts and combinations - strange drunken style of balance that was I possible to time, excellent reflexes and a dangerous counter puncher, plus one of the biggest hitting feathers ever. I mean clubbing, sickening shots that he had no right to be throwing, like he was displacing a cannon.

When he split from Brendan Ingle things never seemed right (and the rumours abound that before the split Naz was ignoring his mentor and avoiding road work etc). Was he getting lazy? Was he in proper condition for Marco Antonio?

He seemed to fall in love with finding one punch, his defence didn't seem as sharp.

Or was it just natural decline? Or an increase in the ability of his opponents?

But why did he never come back? Heart the size of a pea?

I'd love to know more...
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why didn't Naseem Hamed ever fight properly again after Barrera?

Earned 40 million and couldn't be arsed.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
True_Hero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Because other than possibly Kelly, Barrera was the only top boxer Naseem ever fought. He got his arse kicked and he didn't have the heart to continue.

Naseem was a 2nd tier boxer. End of story. He had a career fighting other 2nd and 3rd tier boxers and the only 1st tier opponents he had were Barrera and Kelly. He didn't have the heart to fight a real opponent again.
True_Hero is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

I think if you watched his career you'd know his heart clearly wasn't the size of a pea. That's fairly ridiculous. He had a pretty full career by that point, hit huge numbers, had huge success. I think he was also suffering terrible hand problems by then and decided it all led to retirement (with many mentions of coming back to the media when interviewed, for years).
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

believed his own hype so not trained properly and as said already his hands were by that point in a bad way
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I think if you watched his career you'd know his heart clearly wasn't the size of a pea. That's fairly ridiculous. He had a pretty full career by that point, hit huge numbers, had huge success. I think he was also suffering terrible hand problems by then and decided it all led to retirement (with many mentions of coming back to the media when interviewed, for years).
I'm just asking the question. He got solidly out boxed by Barrera, promised a come back, could've shown himself against Morales and others at that time, but it just fizzled. His one fight after Barrera - was it Calvo? Was tired, lack lustre, stiff and uncharacteristically orthodox.

I can't get away from the idea that his move away from Brendan Ingle stole so much from him, and that his own arrogance made it so difficult for him to cope with defeat. Terrible shame. There's no doubting that Naz had his personal demons that matched his incredible gifts.

What is he doing now?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanPhil View Post
I'm just asking the question. He got solidly out boxed by Barrera, promised a come back, could've shown himself against Morales and others at that time, but it just fizzled. His one fight after Barrera - was it Calvo? Was tired, lack lustre, stiff and uncharacteristically orthodox.

I can't get away from the idea that his move away from Brendan Ingle stole so much from him, and that his own arrogance made it so difficult for him to cope with defeat. Terrible shame. There's no doubting that Naz had his personal demons that matched his incredible gifts.

What is he doing now?
Posing as a turkey float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in America for good money.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Posing as a turkey float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in America for good money.
There are boxers you like, admire and respect after they leave the ring, Naseem Hamed just isn't one of them.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It was a combination of what's already been mentioned above. He could command huge paydays so the hunger drained from him eventually. Bad hands & believing his own hype & his family pandering to his ego helped erode his desire & Barrera schooled & mocked him which I think just shattered his confidence. He was dreadful against Calvo.

Go to youtube & search for Hamed v Barrera documentary - it will give you an insight to his camps mentallity at that point in time just before they fought.
scribbs is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanPhil View Post
There are boxers you like, admire and respect after they leave the ring, Naseem Hamed just isn't one of them.
I admire and respect Naseem Hamed. Regardless of how it all ended, he was still an impressive world champion. He had a lot of charisma. Also, perhaps more importantly, he took defeat like a man. I've never once heard him offer excuses for why he lost to Barrera. He gave his opponent full credit and didn't dodge or duck any post-fight interviews. He did one for both American television and for the Brits back home. He was extremely gracious. Respect.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I admire and respect Naseem Hamed. Regardless of how it all ended, he was still an impressive world champion. He had a lot of charisma. Also, perhaps more importantly, he took defeat like a man. I've never once heard him offer excuses for why he lost to Barrera. He gave his opponent full credit and didn't dodge or duck any post-fight interviews. He did one for both American television and for the Brits back home. He was extremely gracious. Respect.
Yeah, he's from my county & I liked him also as a fighter. I thought he had the potential to be one if not the best fighter from UK we had seen early in his career & still achieved an impressive record. Like you stated he didn't dodge the bullet after he lost but he had problems mentally.

He started to believe he was above people. I know some guys who trained with him & also people who encountered him in the outside world as well, he could be very arrogant & bought into his self inflated ego at times, which may have affected the bearing on his career. He was exciting to watch though.
scribbs is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I hate it when people confuse charisma with 'acting like a prick.'

Of course Hamed accepted defeat graciously. So did Dereck Chisora. It's because it's the only road left after being exposed.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
Earned 40 million and couldn't be arsed.
I would agree with this!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Of course Hamed accepted defeat graciously. So did Dereck Chisora. It's because it's the only road left after being exposed.
One argument I could offer is Zab Judah against Tzsyu but that's splitting hairs really
scribbs is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

1. It was his hands. His hands were a mess after each fight according to Manny Steward.
2. He was already settled and sitting on a fat load of cash
3. The loss to Barrera perhaps took away his killer instinct. But let us not forget that his last opponent Calvo had a world class chin.
4. I also think it was the lack of support of the fans to be honest. Everyone loved to boo a guy who actually was extremely good for the sport of boxing.
anj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum