Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #136
The Bane
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why Guillermo Rigondeaux beats Nonito Donaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Mares is probably the most relentless pressure fighter today. I don't see Rigo having the volume to keep him off. As good as his footwork is, he can't turn Mares the whole time in the center. Mares is going to get close, and then he has a problem.
Yes but Rigo is probably the most gifted fighter in boxing today. His defense is untouchable and that includes Mayweather. I am not saying he has a better legacy or anything, as he is still new to professional boxing but skill-wise and ring knowledge he takes it.
The Bane is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #137
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
Yes but Rigo is probably the most gifted fighter in boxing today. His defense is untouchable and that includes Mayweather. I am not saying he has a better legacy or anything, as he is still new to professional boxing but skill-wise and ring knowledge he takes it.
You can't possibly put his skills on such a level when they're unproven. Looking untouchable against the likes of Marroquin doesn't compare to fighting at the top level. Mares and Donaire are much more proven. Rigo is very skilled and a good fighter, but that's not the issue. You can't say his defense is anywhere near Mayweather's just because he looks good. There's a difference between looking great and being great. Otherwise Linares might as well have been considered just as good as Finito Lopez for his combination punching.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #138
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Looking untouchable against the likes of Marroquin doesn't compare to fighting at the top level.
I thought Marroquin did touch him, no? Took a couple rounds and buckled Rigo's knees.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #139
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I thought Marroquin did touch him, no? Took a couple rounds and buckled Rigo's knees.
its boxing you know, also VW2 and Mathebula took some rds from Nonito
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #140
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cubano View Post
its boxing you know, also VW2 and Mathebula took some rds from Nonito
Pick your rankings but I don't see Marroquin ranked above those two anywhere. Mathebula is still pretty well ranked by the ring. Yeah, it's boxing but Rigo really should have a sterner test against someone before facing Nonito.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #141
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Pick your rankings but I don't see Marroquin ranked above those two anywhere. Mathebula is still pretty well ranked by the ring. Yeah, it's boxing but Rigo really should have a sterner test against someone before facing Nonito.
you tell me about rankings, WV2 just getting mauled by old little Arce.
Marroquin looked 10 times better than Mathebula.
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #142
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cubano View Post
Marroquin looked 10 times better than Mathebula.
Probably because the level of competition was different?

Hermit is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #143
Cuban Bon Bon
Proverbs 9:10
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk View Post
A grown man beating up 17 year olds.. Rigo's left is wild. Look at his fights. It is fast, but he drops his right and leaves himself open. The cans he has been fighting have been able to time the counter at times. Nonito will time it easily.
Juan Carlos Gomez: Gold Medal, World Junior Championships ( age 17 )
Joel Casamayor: Gold medal, World Junior Championships ( age 18 )
Felix Savon: Gold medal, 1987 PanAm games ( age 20 )
Ariel Hernandez: Gold medal, World junior Championships ( age 17 )
Emilio Correa: Gold medal, PanAm games ( age 18 )
Rolando Garbey: Gold medal, PanAm games ( age 20 )
Adolfo Horta: Gold medal, World Championships ( age 20 )
Angel Herrera: Gold medal, Olympics ( age 19 )
Jose Gomez: Gold medal, Olympics ( age 21 )
Roberto Balado: Gold medal, World Championships ( age 20 )
Hector Vinent: Gold medal, World Championships ( age 18 )
Ramon Garbey: Gold medal, PanAm games ( age 20 )
Mario Kindelan: Gold medal, PanAm games ( age 21 )
Guillermo Rigondeaux: Gold medal, Olympics ( age 20 )
Diogenes Luna: Gold medal, PanAm games ( age 21 )
Odlanier Solis: Gold medal, PanAm games ( age 19 )
Yordenis Ugas: Gold medal, World Championships ( age 19 )
Roniel Iglesias: Gold medal, World Championships ( age 18 )
Robeisy Ramirez: Gold medal, 2012 Olympics ( age 18 )

Most Cubans win their first World amateur Titles in their late teens to early twenties ... Your myth is busted.

Cuban Bon Bon is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #144
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Marroquin is better than Mathebula.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #145
Cuban Bon Bon
Proverbs 9:10
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I'll start off first saying Donaire is an extraordinary fighter and has the potential to become an atg especially with the talent around his weight class. I actually like Donaire as a fighter when he's on his game. But with that said, I feel he loses to Rigondeaux. Ironically I think Rigo loses to Mares and Mares loses to Donaire. Donaire>Rigo>Mares>Donaire Styles makes fights.

Donaire is similar to his other pinoy companion, Pacquiao where they both strive on fighters bringing the fight to them. That's why he was itching to fight Arce for the longest and why he'd beat Mares. If you look at his fights with Narvrez or Mathebula, he didn't look as good. He even blamed his lack of performance on them being in defensive mode.

Unfortunately for Donaire, while they were in defensive mode, Mathebula was outlanding him 231 punches to Donaire's 151. Narvarez was even up on a good amount of people's scorecards after 5 rounds vs Donaire.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Nonito has relied heavily on his speed, power, size and footwork to win him a number of fights. Combine that with his counterpunching style, he used his opponent's aggression against them and punched at the openings THEY CREATED. The reason he struggled with Narvrez and Mathebula is because they didn't give Donaire any openings, and Donaire doesn't know how to create them himself. Against Rigo, he'll find this immensely more difficult.

Yes Rigo has a suspect chin (so all the people picking him to lose based off that can shut up now). But that won't matter in this fight. Donaire can knock out any opponent with one shot, but he wasn't able to do it vs Mathebula or Narvrez. Donaire is going to have too hard of a time just trying to hit Rigo.

Rigondeaux is going to go out there and present no openings to Donaire and use his foot/headmovements to avoid anything big from Donaire. Yes Donaire is fast, but he tenses up and loads often with his punches, especially when he's frustrated. Rigondeaux has over 300 fights and can identify these things and anticipate his attacks. While Donaire is leaping forward trying to land his left hook, Rigondeaux is going to be countering him with his famous straight left.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

No fighter in the game today is better at timing the straight left than Rigo and he'll be able to do it every time Donaire tips him off. When Donaire is in front of a defensive fighter, he tends to get very basic. Little feinting, showboating, dropping his hands, no body punching, no jab. The only thing I wonder about in this fight is how Donaire is going to take Rigondeaux's punch. If he tries coming forward and dropping his hands like he did vs Mathebula, then he may get stopped.
Very good analysis. I mostly agree with you except that Mares beats Rigo. Let's not forget that Rigo already beat Mares in the amateurs and even though it's a bit different he knows his style.

I think it's better to wait and see if this fight will go through as we all know how boxing is. If it happens though, I have to go with Rigondeaux by UD or late TKO.

Cuban Bon Bon is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #146
garfios
Dark Lord
ESB Addict

vCash: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consu View Post
I might stupid and should shut the **** up but Rigo was wobbled by Robert ''who?'' Marroquin. You think Donaire wouldn't catch him? Donaire ain't that bad against defensives fighters that you are making him to be.

I'm not that impressed with Rigo. Donaire is a HUGE step up for him if it happens. Everyone can look against medicore opponents.
Did you know Marroquin out weighted GR but a least 8 pounds that night, and that "WHO" Marroquin can bang with either hand and was a very good amateur and have a bright future in the pro ranks? Another thing is that GR was dragged by his trainer out of his bedroom because he was piss off with all the legal problem that he had, he didn't want to fight that night, he was bored to death and still won almost every round... Do your homework.
garfios is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #147
weegriffin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Bon Bon View Post
Very good analysis. I mostly agree with you except that Mares beats Rigo. Let's not forget that Rigo already beat Mares in the amateurs and even though it's a bit different he knows his style.

I think it's better to wait and see if this fight will go through as we all know how boxing is. If it happens though, I have to go with Rigondeaux by UD or late TKO.

They fought in the Pan Amateur games in 2003, 17 year old Mares vs 22 year old Rigondeaux both have went on to improve since then.

I don't think their amateur fight means much now, although saying that I do favour Rigondeaux, it could go the other way.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #148
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfios View Post
Another thing is that GR was dragged by his trainer out of his bedroom because he was piss off with all the legal problem that he had, he didn't want to fight that night, he was bored to death and still won almost every round... Do your homework.
Best excuse for having knees buckled when trying to be offensive minded I've EVER heard. Keep em coming.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #149
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Nice observation B! I'm still riding with Nonito in this one. They will exchange at some point and I think Donaire's heavier stuff will take it's toll.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #150
garfios
Dark Lord
ESB Addict

vCash: 540

Quote:
Best excuse for having knees buckled when trying to be offensive minded I've EVER heard. Keep em coming.
What make you think I'm excusing anything, did you read the post? Marroquin "CAN BANG WITH EITHER HAND" so getting wobbled by a fighter like him is not much of a big deal, beside I like the way he respond, he went after him immediately it seems that he wasn't that hurt like some are making it to be, and when you don't want to fight you can get caught.
garfios is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum