Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681
Default Aaron Pryor vs Oscar De La Hoya @ 140, how do you guys see this?

Discuss.

I see this as a UD 12 for Pryor. Too much workrate/pressure, don't see Oscar being able to pull this through.

It would kinda be like Mosley/DLH but worse.
MVC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: Aaron Pryor vs Oscar De La Hoya @ 140, how do you guys see this?

We did this already and it was split in votes. Did Pryor get the black bottle?

Pryor beat a lot of guys cheating, and guys coming up. Oscar was the better pure boxer, was bigger, as fast, and hit harder at his best. When was he ever shook, at his best?

Oscar UD when Pryor tries to turn it up and gets laid out once or twice. Even the Oscar who fought Tito would box his stache off.

Pryor is too small.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
We did this already and it was split in votes. Did Pryor get the black bottle?

Pryor beat a lot of guys cheating, and guys coming up. Oscar was the better pure boxer, was bigger, as fast, and hit harder at his best. When was he ever shook, at his best?

Oscar UD when Pryor tries to turn it up and gets laid out once or twice. Even the Oscar who fought Tito would box his stache off.

Pryor is too small.
Manny Pacquiao is too "small", and beat a lot of bigger fighters. Size isn't everything. Pryor's workrate/speed/ability to take a punch/will to win/heart will propel him to victory. Roughs Oscar up on the inside and his angles would be too difficult for Oscar to handle.
MVC is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I would take Oscar by a comfortable if not wide decision, while still keeping my option open for a late stoppage. Oscar is to big for Pryor IMHO, and he would be able to up the pressure that Arguello threw at him, and I don't see Pryor being able to hurt DLH or get the opportunity to do so if he could. Oscar 8-4 or 9-6 depending upon rounds. Oscar has been accused of having fatigue issues, but again IMO I don't think they would be a factor at this stage of Oscar's career.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Manny Pacquiao is too "small", and beat a lot of bigger fighters. Size isn't everything. Pryor's workrate/speed/ability to take a punch/will to win/heart will propel him to victory. Roughs Oscar up on the inside and his angles would be too difficult for Oscar to handle.
Pacuiao isn't too small. Dude was 146 on fight night for his 130 lb days
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I would take Oscar by a comfortable if not wide decision, while still keeping my option open for a late stoppage. Oscar is to big for Pryor IMHO, and he would be able to up the pressure that Arguello threw at him, and I don't see Pryor being able to hurt DLH or get the opportunity to do so if he could. Oscar 8-4 or 9-6 depending upon rounds. Oscar has been accused of having fatigue issues, but again IMO I don't think they would be a factor at this stage of Oscar's career.
I don't get the stamina claim. Mosley outhustled him from 10-12 but other than that oscar was gutting it out FTW in his prime, even when his opponents were testing dirty
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Pryor by ud or very late stoppage especially if the fight is over 15 I don't see that Oscar being bigger has any effect on a fight with pryor
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Techniques
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Thats because pacquiao fought old washed up fighters .
Techniques is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pryor by close ud.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
COLD-HARD-TRUTH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Oscar was a great fighter at the lighter weights but people forget how special Pryor was...and he was a warrior to. I think Pryor would have won a UD.
COLD-HARD-TRUTH is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD-HARD-TRUTH View Post
Oscar was a great fighter at the lighter weights but people forget how special Pryor was...and he was a warrior to. I think Pryor would have won a UD.

this is where I am not sure about de la hoya until the chavez fight who was well past his best when they met , yes he had won a couple of alphabet straps at super-feather and lightweight but although there were some names on his record some were fighting above their recognised weight and possibly past their best thus giving the already bigger de la hoya a distinct
advantage. I have always thought he was very well managed that way or perhaps am I being I little to critical
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Close fights for 12 rds Oscar a head then the bell tolls and Pryor wins the fight in the next 3 rds
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

We know what Oscar did with aggressive fighters with two left feet and who had one gear; he chewed them up. He tames him during the first three rounds and is in command from then on.

Either decision or later stoppage for Oscar. Probably decision.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Balder

vCash: 500

I would go with a Hoya split decision win.

Hoya could match Pryor with his speed and tighter combinations. He was also a fair mover. But I dont see Pryor giving in and I also see him keeping up his pressure and stamina.

Hoya is on his bike the last 3-4 rds and makes the bell and wins the strap.

15 rounds..... hmmm..... I would make this a even fight. Hoya could put pryor out in a last gasp attack or counter around rds 6-8, If Hoya does not finish him Pryor would batter Hoya late rounds until the ref steps in.

Great fight either way.
Balder is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
We know what Oscar did with aggressive fighters with two left feet and who had one gear; he chewed them up. He tames him during the first three rounds and is in command from then on.

Either decision or later stoppage for Oscar. Probably decision.
Hmmm... I don`t recall Aaron Pryor being the one trick pony you are alluding him to be, especially one with two left feet and with one gear no less. Pryor was quite the effective and polished boxer-puncher if he so chose to fight that way, which was admittedly not quite that often but he could alter his style of fighting on the fly if necessary.

And while he was a pedal to the metal type of fighter at heart, he could and often did slow the pace of his fights if necessary by fighting off the backfoot and firing off a snappy and fairly accurate jab to set up his combinations with once he went back on the attack, Pryor was a more versatile fighter than given credit for in my opinion.

Now as far as this fantasy matchup is concerned I can envision Oscar having some initial success for the first half of the fight, maybe scoring a knockdown or two along the way while keeping Pryor more or less at th end of his reach. But if Pryor can survive Oscar`s power and keep a up high pace to keep Oscar working hard for his gains then I think once the bout gets into the later rounds Oscar might well be in some trouble especially over 15 rounds.

With all that said I ain`t got a real accurate prediction to give and am tired of typing anyway, so lets just say I lean towards a Pryor win by decision, 70/30 split in favour of a win for "The Hawk" sounds about right to me.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum