Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the best british fighter of the last 10 years?

Calzaghe is not only the best in the last 10 years but the best ever
billy nelson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Its Calzaghe without a doubt.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
bigboots
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

1st Calzaghe
2nd Haye
3rd Hatton
4th Froch
(Hatton above Froch as Hatton was No.1 for a time in his weight division but Froch has never been the No.1 in his weight division)
bigboots is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
gazrichards
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

"Super" Joe Calzaghe by a long way
gazrichards is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
outthebox
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Calzaghe by a mile.
outthebox is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
enpe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

1. Calzaghe
2. Hatton
3. Haye

Not sure how anyone could rank Froch above those three.
enpe is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Calzaghe is not only the best in the last 10 years but the best ever
Best post I've ever read on here.

We were privileged to see a fighter and such a dominant fighter like that from these isles. We may never see another just quite like it. Best I've seen in my lifetime, I don't think I'll be seeing another from our parts again.

But the best in the last ten years has been "the pride of Wales".

Why Nathan Cleverlyof course!

I feel now.

I think the only one around now who can be as good, is Ricky Burns, but he must dominate the division and beat the very best around.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Best post I've ever read on here.

We were privileged to see a fighter and such a dominant fighter like that from these isles. We may never see another just quite like it. Best I've seen in my lifetime, I don't think I'll be seeing another from our parts again.

But the best in the last ten years has been "the pride of Wales".

Why Nathan Cleverlyof course!

I feel now.

I think the only one around now who can be as good, is Ricky Burns, but he must dominate the division and beat the very best around.

I thaught you didnt like fighters who defend their world titles at 'domestic level'

I see what your doing Craney, you laid the bait at the end of that comment there.
rossco666 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

dean pithie
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco666 View Post

I thaught you didnt like fighters who defend their world titles at 'domestic level'

I see what your doing Craney, you laid the bait at the end of that comment there.
Nope, wrong end of the stick.

I've said a million times how good I think Burns is/can be. He has improved tremendously and some credit needs to go Billy's way, I've said that lots of times. Thing is, Ricky aint fighting anybody credible at this weight (argument can be made for Katsidis at the time) they have just secured him a top class fight with Vazquez. The sort of fight Ricky SHOULD be fighting in. I'm not gonna blow a trumpet because they went and got a decent fight. Blimey.

Like I said before, I'm more interested in the next fight than I am this one. Because I want to see if they stop at that level from now on, or drop down again.

Ricky has been fighting domestic level, and he is a domesticated world champion. He is also the only one I can see at the moment, who could, thats COULD cement a legacy as good as Joe's, and Ricky has been defeated! But it aint about undefeated records, its who you fight, who you beat, and how good you are.

If Ricky beats Broner (I dont think he will) but if he does, I'll give him lots of credit, and Billy, and I can say, that if Ricky moves up, he may be able to challenge Floyd Mayweather like no other.

If he beats those two, he will go down as a true great.

Ricky belongs at this level now, not Kevin Mitchell level. He has got a fight against Vazquez, fights he SHOULD be involved in at this moment in time.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

calzaghe
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #27
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

This is a tough one. Of the past 20 years I'd say Naseem Hamed, no question. Of the past 10 I think Calzaghe just edges Hatton. I know loads of people don't like Joe but he proved the way he out-classed Kessler and beat a very game Hopkins that he was a great fighter. The only crime of his career was that he didn't take the big fights A LOT sooner but we all know who to blame for that.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How can people class Hatton greater or better than Froch? Froch has achieved more in the last ten fights than what Hatton did in a 48 fight career!
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Nope, wrong end of the stick.

I've said a million times how good I think Burns is/can be. He has improved tremendously and some credit needs to go Billy's way, I've said that lots of times. Thing is, Ricky aint fighting anybody credible at this weight (argument can be made for Katsidis at the time) they have just secured him a top class fight with Vazquez. The sort of fight Ricky SHOULD be fighting in. I'm not gonna blow a trumpet because they went and got a decent fight. Blimey.

Like I said before, I'm more interested in the next fight than I am this one. Because I want to see if they stop at that level from now on, or drop down again.

Ricky has been fighting domestic level, and he is a domesticated world champion. He is also the only one I can see at the moment, who could, thats COULD cement a legacy as good as Joe's, and Ricky has been defeated! But it aint about undefeated records, its who you fight, who you beat, and how good you are.

If Ricky beats Broner (I dont think he will) but if he does, I'll give him lots of credit, and Billy, and I can say, that if Ricky moves up, he may be able to challenge Floyd Mayweather like no other.

If he beats those two, he will go down as a true great.

Ricky belongs at this level now, not Kevin Mitchell level. He has got a fight against Vazquez, fights he SHOULD be involved in at this moment in time.

Craney, you give Ricky stick for his resume as a champ, you are aware Joe's resume is full of shit world title fights? As much as I rate Joe C as a boxer and a fighter, his record imo is not great.
rossco666 is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #30
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco666 View Post
Craney, you give Ricky stick for his resume as a champ, you are aware Joe's resume is full of shit world title fights? As much as I rate Joe C as a boxer and a fighter, his record imo is not great.
Joe Calzaghe was a domesticated world champion for years, you say that like I've never admitted that, when I have!!! Thing is, he did fight top quality toward the end of his career. Jones Jr had declined, even more so now, but Hopkins is still a credible fight today and was back then. Kessler. Eubank. He fought very good fighters and beat them all. And towards the end, he went elsewhere to do it n' all.

Ricky Burns aint done step one yet. I think he CAN do something, because he has improved and he has the ability, but he needs to prove it in massive fights against ELITE level fighters for a number of years. He needs to travel to.

Credit will be give where its due in time, the only credit I can give Ricky at this current moment in time is that he has improved tremendously under Billy Nelson so far. I await to see what the future holds.

I like Ricky, he is a very good boxer and I like Billy to. I wish them all the best! They have proved a lot of people wrong so far
craney91 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum