Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Experiences with sprained toes!?

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ever sprained there a big toe in any way?

What I've done is basically jammed my big toe into the matt at jiu jitsu (nail facing down) causing it to bend unnaturally. Its been a week today, to begin with it was bruised and swollen and I had limited motion in it. Now the bruising is mostly gone and its not really swollen, I have full range of motion again. I went to the doctor who tape it to the 2nd toe, she said I could train but to go easy, she didnt sounds 100 percent confident tbh. I'm not looking for a miracle answer, but maybe some experience with this sort of thing?

Edit.. She said I had damaged the joint on the side of the big toe, this is a very small area, is now padded.

Last edited by BUMPY KNUCKLES; 02-05-2013 at 11:39 AM.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Experiences with sprained toes!?

No experience with sprained toes eh.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

i had them both sprained many times in many ways .. it will hurt you in weeks, but pain is not so strong, so you can train without a problems.
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Haye reference in 3 2 1...
dyna is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Dont do any Training.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I trained tonight scrap but my physio taped my foot up first, I wont know if it hurts till the morning unfortunately.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It will alter your mechanics through compensation.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
It will alter your mechanics through compensation.
So you mean I will move differently in order to avoid re-injuring it, thus my body will adapt to this (being the wrong way to move)?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes it alters the Bodies Balance Mechanism, the Body is there to transport the Head, to where it wants to be. If the base of movement is wrong everything is.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ah man, I trained twice last week barefoot, both times I buddy taped the big and second toe, it feels perfectly fine while at training. First thing in the morning it doesn't feel great until I get it warmed up. It is still very slightly swollen on the side top of the toe, I'd say its getting better its just taking a while as I've been training. My problem is I can't stay away from the matt. I plan to train this week but if it doesn't feel better by the end of the week I'll take some time off.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I am walking on it normally at this point, but it feels vunerable to being injured again, I need something to strengthen the joints in the big toe/knuckle area on both feet ( I've done the same thing to my other foot in the past) or otherwise I'll forever be training wit them taped up.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ever sprained there a big toe in any way?

What I've done is basically jammed my big toe into the matt at jiu jitsu (nail facing down) causing it to bend unnaturally. Its been a week today, to begin with it was bruised and swollen and I had limited motion in it. Now the bruising is mostly gone and its not really swollen, I have full range of motion again. I went to the doctor who tape it to the 2nd toe, she said I could train but to go easy, she didnt sounds 100 percent confident tbh. I'm not looking for a miracle answer, but maybe some experience with this sort of thing?

Edit.. She said I had damaged the joint on the side of the big toe, this is a very small area, is now padded.
Yes. I also did it in a similar way but in the opposite direction, driving off of the big toe versus landing on it. You basically have turf toe. That ish ends careers.

Back off of it as much as you can and let it heal. It can and probably will progress into a chronic situation. I didn't and it has never been the same since. Use the bike and lift for a few months.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Yes. I also did it in a similar way but in the opposite direction, driving off of the big toe versus landing on it. You basically have turf toe. That ish ends careers.

Back off of it as much as you can and let it heal. It can and probably will progress into a chronic situation. I didn't and it has never been the same since. Use the bike and lift for a few months.
Its pretty much back to normal to be honest its been 2/3 weeks ish I think, its not as serious as I may of made it sound, my physio said I could train and also that it wasnt turf toe, like its only one small area of the toe which has been a problem not the ligaments in the foot or anything, I have been training and its been fine. However I do think I'll have to train with it taped up for as long as I continue to train, my toes seems to catch very easily and the physio said it will be vunerable from now on.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually did it to my left foot a few months back that was quite severe, it probably was turf toe on that side, I had like 6, 8 weeks off its fine now but certainly not as strong as it was.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
death
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1687

your toe nail might come off. it sucks cuz if the nail grows bsck wonky, it can hurt. might even need ......removal.
death is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing