Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475
Default Re: Aaron Pryor vs Oscar De La Hoya @ 140, how do you guys see this?

Guys who are very good at a particular style are often labeled once dimensional. That is not always true but its easier to remember.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Hmmm... I don`t recall Aaron Pryor being the one trick pony you are alluding him to be, especially one with two left feet and with one gear no less. Pryor was quite the effective and polished boxer-puncher if he so chose to fight that way, which was admittedly not quite that often but he could alter his style of fighting on the fly if necessary.

And while he was a pedal to the metal type of fighter at heart, he could and often did slow the pace of his fights if necessary by fighting off the backfoot and firing off a snappy and fairly accurate jab to set up his combinations with once he went back on the attack, Pryor was a more versatile fighter than given credit for in my opinion.

Now as far as this fantasy matchup is concerned I can envision Oscar having some initial success for the first half of the fight, maybe scoring a knockdown or two along the way while keeping Pryor more or less at th end of his reach. But if Pryor can survive Oscar`s power and keep a up high pace to keep Oscar working hard for his gains then I think once the bout gets into the later rounds Oscar might well be in some trouble especially over 15 rounds.

With all that said I ain`t got a real accurate prediction to give and am tired of typing anyway, so lets just say I lean towards a Pryor win by decision, 70/30 split in favour of a win for "The Hawk" sounds about right to me.
Great to see you posting again, even if it is a bit of a one-off thing. I know you're a busy guy.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Great to see you posting again, even if it is a bit of a one-off thing. I know you're a busy guy.
Thanks man, but busy shbusy really as far as me seldom posting anymore is concerned, my reasons for not posting as much have more to do with sheer lazyness on my part than an excessively loaded schedule, although I am plenty busy mind.

But about Pryor it just so happens I watched his fight against Gaetan Hart just over a week ago and in the pre-fight buildup Pryor mentioned the fact that he was going to box in this fight and show his detractors he can do so quite well if he wanted to fight that way, and prove it he did by outboxing a spirited but ultimately outmatched and over the hill fighter to be fair and stopping him in the 6th.

He had other moments in certain fights where he demonstrated his boxing skills and as I mentioned a fine and accurate jab as well, his bouts vs Dujuan Johnson and the 1st Arguello bout come to mind, and against that Colimbian bomber from his pre title days, forgot his name now but that guy rung Pryor`s bell several times and gave him a run for his money that night before getting overwhelmed and finally stopped in the 10th and final round.

Anyway Pryor was just as good of a boxer as Oscar was if he set his mind to it, but due to his physical disadvantages in height and reach he would be bettr served to use a more aggressive approach in this fight to close the distance and get Oscar to work overtime to try and keep him off of him and at arm`s lenght, I think Pryor is quite capable of doing just that and with the extra motivation he would have going into the fight fighting the boxing world`s golden boy he would be like a man possessed, just like against Alexis in fight one.

Tis Pryor`s fight to lose more than it is Oscar`s fight to win if that makes any sense, well thru my whiskey goggles it does so there you have it.

Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #19
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

This is a great thread!...Im kinda 50/50 on it..I may have to do some homework on this and this get back to guys..But excellent thread!...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Pryor could be sloppy and DLH technically can take advantage of that. But DLH could be lazy and was very guilty of fighting in spurts. Did he fight in spurts because he was scared of being hit or countered? HE did fight at a decent pace against Gonzalez and Mosley so maybe he deserves the benefit of the doubt. DLH is a very good counter puncher when pressure though with very fast leads and counters

DLH does do better against come forward pressure guys, that has to be said. He is also allot bigger than Pryor, allot bigger.

I say DLH wins and maybe by KO, too big and the style suits him unless he takes his foot of the peddle and lets. But DLH should be able to dictate the pace with his jab and counter punching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Anyway Pryor was just as good of a boxer as Oscar was if he set his mind to it,
Once you get in the habit of making bad habits they become second nature, Pryor has allot of bad habits. His athleticism will see him outbox slower opponents if he feels like it, but against a top tie opponent and under pressure his defensive frailties will still come out to the surface time and again.

I'll say the nature of 24+ hour weigh ins make this somewhat unfair on Pryor anyway, he wouldn't be able to rely on walking an opponent down because he'd be fighting a bigger man. 'Weight classes for a reason' etc
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

I would pick Pryor.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Then you would be right
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #23
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Pryor would have whupped Oscar's ass.
Xplosive is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum