Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #121
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
Do you wish you did anything different (trained harder etc) and do you have any more goals Jeff?
Just educated myself properly when I was young. Taken responsibility for my own learning.. I'd also say I wish I'd not wasted time with unproductive people.

Just coaching people mate... I want to make a champion from start to finish. From first time in the gym to winning and defending titles. No one I know looks at boxing the way I do. I just want to get busy - got some good lads and the lads I'm involved with have won 80% of their fights but I want more...
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #122
daly5050
Journeyman

vCash: 500

I know this question is very individual but I'll ask anyway

Let's say you are training a lad who has decided he wants to to pro, what experience, achievements, years training ect would you like or expect him to have before you 'support' his decision?
daly5050 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #123
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daly5050 View Post
I know this question is very individual but I'll ask anyway

Let's say you are training a lad who has decided he wants to to pro, what experience, achievements, years training ect would you like or expect him to have before you 'support' his decision?
If I'd trained someone and knew that they would be safe being a pro then I would encourage it. Some people simply aren't good/tough enough

But safety is paramount
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #124
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Two questions.

1) how important would you say a trainer is? When i started boxing i had i wouldnt say bad trainers but not great trainers and lost most of my fights. How much should i blame them and how much should i say was just me?

2) would having a high amount of losses ( was 2-8 in my 1st 10) on my record make it stupid for me to turn pro even if i win the aba's later in my career? (was due to be in the aba this years but injured myself in dec)
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #125
oatman12345
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
If I'd trained someone and knew that they would be safe being a pro then I would encourage it. Some people simply aren't good/tough enough

But safety is paramount
Would you say you have to be tough as an amateur and how good is good enough to be a pro?
oatman12345 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #126
ChechenGirlific
Caucasus

What is your name , and do you have videos on youtube with images of your matches or trainings ?
ChechenGirlific is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #127
Sallace Wpector

How many tickets did you sell on your debut?
Sallace Wpector is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #128
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I'd actually like to train with you Jeff. Should go over in a few years time.
Whenever you want pal
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #129
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Two questions.

1) how important would you say a trainer is? When i started boxing i had i wouldnt say bad trainers but not great trainers and lost most of my fights. How much should i blame them and how much should i say was just me?

2) would having a high amount of losses ( was 2-8 in my 1st 10) on my record make it stupid for me to turn pro even if i win the aba's later in my career? (was due to be in the aba this years but injured myself in dec)
1) addressed this earlier

2) it's not how you start, it's how you finish
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #130
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatman12345 View Post
Would you say you have to be tough as an amateur and how good is good enough to be a pro?
Yes you have to be fairly tough to be a good amateur but its more about speed and athleticism then pro boxing.

Good enough to be pro... Is someone who knows the basics properly.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #131
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallace Wpector View Post
How many tickets did you sell on your debut?
Not sure.. Strange question. Not very many.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #132
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Ever since I started boxing 2 years ago, I keep getting BAD nerves even thinking about boxing. Even sparring I get sick, I'm not a bad boxer but I'm always worried about looking foolish. I get anxiety just from thinking about fighting or sparring. Is there any way to cope with this?
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #133
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Ever since I started boxing 2 years ago, I keep getting BAD nerves even thinking about boxing. Even sparring I get sick, I'm not a bad boxer but I'm always worried about looking foolish. I get anxiety just from thinking about fighting or sparring. Is there any way to cope with this?
For me I used to think of the worst possible outcome of a situation then convince myself that I could deal with it. Don't be afraid of negative thoughts. Let them in - control them and then go to work.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #134
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Anxiety and excitement are the same energy. It's just how you perceive it. If you perceive it as a positive and that your body is getting ready for combat then it manifests as excitement. If you view it as unwanted then it just becomes dread and anxiety.
Accept it and change how you view it. When you think about something it is essentially the same as doing it, when you think about it you're telling your body to respond. That's why you can be sitting in your lounge room, think about something and then be buzzing and full of adrenaline.
Try visualisation, imagine yourself sparring and fighting and picture yourself as being calm and in control. When you get excited thinking about boxing take some deep breaths and repeat a word such as 'calm' or 'relax' to yourself. Don't be afraid of your energy, you can raise or lower it through your thoughts and breathing patterns. If you're worried about looking foolish or a past performance then you're not in the moment. Practice focusing on what you're doing right now, stress is just worrying about things you can't control. You can't control it so why worry?
If you're sparring and you make mistakes, have a bad round or whatever then just take a second to tell yourself 'STOP'. Flush the past away down the toilet, let it go and start again, refocus. You can make a bad round a bad fight if you don't let it go. Continuously let it go, focus on what you're doing right now.
The reason why Andre Ward is so good is because he constantly practices focusing, practice your psychological skills. You can't just turn it on at fight time, you need to practice your psychological skills everyday to develop them. Whenever you hit the bag or do anything practice improving your focus. That's how you develop mental strength, and that's Ward's biggest strength imo.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #135
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Brown Bomber or anyone else out there
Have you ever felt a shot go down your leg and feel like 'Yeah, I've lost a few brain cells after that one'
Tar Baby is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing