Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #46
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

go back and read the thread primtard
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #47
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
ehhhh i dont know about 1 rep maxes..much higher chance of injury and the strength gains really arent there 3 reps to failure should be as low as you go..and make sure you do some warm up sets before that.
You said doing a 1rm has a high risk of injury without the strength gains. You instead suggest that doing 3 reps to failure is safer and with better results.

You also specifically suggest a warm up, as if for some reason people wouldn't be doing that before attempting a 1rm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Only 100% incorrect.
Virus said you were incorrect. This is true. Doing a 1 rm does not have a significantly higher injury risk, there are also strength gains to be had from doing a regular 1rm



Quote:
If you're using a weight you can only do 3 reps with, it's going to be a fairly heavy weight. Going to failure with heavy weight is just dumb. Also, going to failure is the worst thing you could possibly do when it comes to increasing strength. There's no good reason to ever train to failure.
This is where we run into issues. Working with 3 rep sets and doing 3 reps to failure are two very different things. You seem to think that every set has to be to failure, which is not the case. In fact, as Virus points out it's actually very detrimental to strength gains to train to failure regularly.

This is also where we run into issues, because you're going by the wikipedia definition of a 1 rep max, and you seem to think that a person would walk into a gym a do a 1 rep set, that would constitute training to failure and that would be the extent of their workout. This is the part you seem obsessed with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
so lifting to 3 rep failure is something that you shouldnt do because you risk injury, but i rep max is safe..


retard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Your biggest problem is that you don't even seem to know why you're wrong, and you seem to have absolutely no desire to rectify the situation either.
And above we have the only comment I made in this thread, and the specific post of yours I was responding to.

Like I said, you don't even know what you're arguing about you are just arguing for the sake of arguing (ie, trolling).
Primate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #48
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,856
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
actually one person said you should do 1 rep training....I said no its not a good idea...higher risk of injury without a high rate of strength gains...and i also said the lowest you should go is 3 reps.


Virus, at some point said that you shouldnt do 1 rep training either..however..because of the fact that I said it he felt the need to refer to my post as totally wrong.

We than had a long back and forth....with one of the high points being both primate and virus arguing that 1 rep training is not a type of training to failure.
1RM training isn't training to failure, it would be if you couldn't lift that load. If you can get out 1 rep you could probably struggle out another rep with a bit of help from a spotter. By your definition everything is training to failure, 6RM, 10RM and so on. There's not a higher risk of injury and to say there isn't a high rate of strength gains is incorrect, not quite the same as 4-6RM in terms of strength gains but you're still getting strength gains while minimising hypertrophy.
Basically everything you've said is incorrect, as usual.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #49
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

nahhhh...im right..sorry guys
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #50
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 75
Default Re: Wight lifting

Johnstown wtf.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #51
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

lifting for one rep is dumb...3 rep is the lowest that you should go...and even that should be done on a rare basis..the end.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #52
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
find me a westside barbell that focuses on 1 rep training consistently..most don't get any lower than 3 reps on any regular type of basis
Louie Simmons. He trains all the guys. They all live by max effort training.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #53
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Virus, at some point said that you shouldnt do 1 rep training either..however..
What I actually said was doing 5 lifts at 1rm in a single day is a bad idea. I've pointed this out already when you stated this before yet you're saying the same thing which is a blatant lie for everyone to see.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #54
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
lifting for one rep is dumb...3 rep is the lowest that you should go...and even that should be done on a rare basis..the end.
Awww. Can't back up what he says so pretends to troll.

Another embarrassing attempt by Johnstown.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #55
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Wight lifting

There is definitely place for heavy singles in training.

I've had sessions that consist of like 10-15 heavy singles.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Louie Simmons. He trains all the guys. They all live by max effort training.
Wrong....I can't find one of his workouts that focuses on consistent 1 rep training.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #57
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wight lifting

one where he does deadlifts for 1 and snatch for 1 reps...
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #58
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Wrong....I can't find one of his workouts that focuses on consistent 1 rep training.
You've done a google search and can't find a workout by Louie so i'm wrong?

You can't find a workout because he doesn't have a set workout. He makes a specific workout for each guy he trains and makes his own up daily depending on what he feels needs work.

Just give it up, you were wrong. Carrying this on just makes you look even worse.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #59
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wight lifting

virus recently into Louie Simmons seems to mention him all the time now
doylexxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #60
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wight lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
virus recently into Louie Simmons seems to mention him all the time now
Mentioned him maybe 4 times...

The reason is when it comes to strength he's probably the best in the world.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013