Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Mighty_Fighter
mightyfighter.com

vCash: 500
Default Boxing & Strength & Conditioning

Just curious, how much time do you guys spend actually working on your boxing skills compared to working on strength and conditioning?
Mighty_Fighter is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Boxing & Strength & Conditioning

I am sure that whatever I say Dealt and virus will come in and disgree.

However, as a rule, I would say that if you are fighting...the boxing related sports specific work should be your core....now some stuff that is really conditioning work will be be done during your boxing workouts (jump rope for example..some would argue that is really not sports specific enough not to qualify as general conditioning work... I would say you should be doing boxing workouts that last for at least 90 minutes 5 times a week. Of that some rounds should be heavybag, double end bag, mitts and or sparring, than some lighter stuff like slip bag rope drills.

than maybe 3 days of strength training a week....and 3 days of running a week. you might do strength m w f...running t th and sat....and boxing m-f (just as a example) as you get closer to a fight you might consider picking up your workouts 4 weeks out for 2 very hard weeks....one week like what i mentioned...than the last week easy with plenty of days off..no lifting...no running..and mostly just skill work and some low impact boxing work (that is assuming you fight once every few months..if you fight more..you will have to approach it more old school).
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

i train 6 days a week.

5 days is training in gym which includes 45min of s&c and 45min of boxing (drills, sparring, bag,shadow boxing etc..)

6th day or saturday/sunday is sparring vs other clubs or a match.

through the week i try to do mini training in morning, f.e. today i did 4 x 4min shadow with 30sec rest. yesterday i had 10min run and 2 round skipping + 1 round shadow (~30min overall)
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

I only lifts weights like twice a week. I do legs one day and upperbody the other day.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Boxing M-F
S&C TU, THU, SAT
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

The boxing is the most important, at first.

You are training to be better in a fight. That needs to take precedence.

Once you've mastered what you can, 10 or 15 years into your boxing career, it can take a bit more of a backseat.

From about 15 years old till I was 35, I did 70% boxing, 30% strength and conditioning; Road work every morning, gym on MWF,two boxing workouts a day with sparring on Saturday.

I'd say, now, it's 60-40 strength and conditioning. I'm in the gym working my hands 4 days a week, do my cardio every morning, and get some form of S&C every day. The reason for the shift- I'm getting older and slowing down, so its more essential than ever I be in shape, and I've come as far skillwise as I'll ever go, more time in the gym isn't gonna make me better.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
The boxing is the most important, at first.

You are training to be better in a fight. That needs to take precedence.

Once you've mastered what you can, 10 or 15 years into your boxing career, it can take a bit more of a backseat.

From about 15 years old till I was 35, I did 70% boxing, 30% strength and conditioning; Road work every morning, gym on MWF,two boxing workouts a day with sparring on Saturday.

I'd say, now, it's 60-40 strength and conditioning. I'm in the gym working my hands 4 days a week, do my cardio every morning, and get some form of S&C every day. The reason for the shift- I'm getting older and slowing down, so its more essential than ever I be in shape, and I've come as far skillwise as I'll ever go, more time in the gym isn't gonna make me better.
although id think repetitive skill work is still important for timing?
Johnstown is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing