Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: F**k it, someone had to say it... Past Boxing Era OVERRATED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
I see a lot of Brandon Rios in Roberto Duran.
Look someone with the heart of Bam Bam and with that warrior spirit would show us all that Duran would be another Bam Bam in TODAYS boxing scenario.
Low Blow Combos is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
Galaxy.
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 257

Dumb thread!
Galaxy. is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
ko00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Blow Combos View Post
Right, then why do we continue to place those fighters over the greatest of our own generation??!?!?!?!?

because without the knowledge, training of today,diet,fitness, footage to find other fighters weakness's/style they still went out there and did 15 rounds of masterclass and they took bigger hits with a body less trained than todays that take less punishment?
ko00 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ber View Post
agree.like every sport boxing is evolving,a paper champ like Povetkin would wipe the floor with Marciano...SRR would be a gatekeeper today...the list goes on and on....
^^ That's my point. We underrate and under appreciate our own generation in exchange for an era that really isn't what its made out to be.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Imagine Ali trying to land a punch on Arreola, Chris would look like Sweat Pea in there, who himself would be KO'd in three rounds by the great Antonio DeMarco.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
ko00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

come on man you get guys like ortiz and mikey garcia quitting with broken bones back then they would fight with their eyes hanging out until they went down

im not saying todays fighters are *****s hell they would **** me up but compared to the past those guys were tough as nails

in a fantasy world give them the training of today ect and they would show just as much class facing todays fighters as they did in their era
ko00 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko00 View Post
because without the knowledge, training of today,diet,fitness, footage to find other fighters weakness's/style they still went out there and did 15 rounds of masterclass taking bigger hits but with a body less trained than todays that take less punishment?
WELL , again, why are they rated higher than the fighters this generation?

I get your point, I truly do. Let's give that era the advantages we have today and measure both generations on an even playing field.

HOWEVER, that's not how it should be. Let's take basketball for example, Dr. J and Bird are still impressive even comparing them with footage of todays players. Different training circumstances, still impress. Jordan, even though he slipped into the late 2000s, is still considered the greatest and with reason compared to someone like LeBron who looks like he's on PEDs. That says something.

I am NOT impressed at all by past fighters and when I compare them to todays fighters, I believe there is a higher talent level in our generation.

I see a Manny Pacquiao then I look at a Joe Louis and I mean Pac stands out. Power, speed, aggressiveness, both hands are equally demolishing. Mayweather with his defensive style, I have never seen a fighter dominate defense like that.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

The Pacman would definitely dominate Joe Louis.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Imagine Ali trying to land a punch on Arreola, Chris would look like Sweat Pea in there, who himself would be KO'd in three rounds by the great Antonio DeMarco.
The heavyweight division is an exception... However, a Klitschko would probably beat Ali who is known as "The greatest of all time".

Sweat Pea would get clowned by Mayweather and Mosley'd by Pacquiao. I am sure Broner would beat Pea as well and we are only talking about a prospect there.

Think outside the box for a second and analyze fighters by your own mind, not by what the boxing standards want you to.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 3571

look how slow Leonard is compared to modern day fighters with their supplements and modern training techniques. I doubt he could even beat Guerrero

BORKED
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko00 View Post
come on man you get guys like ortiz and mikey garcia quitting with broken bones back then they would fight with their eyes hanging out until they went down

im not saying todays fighters are *****s hell they would **** me up but compared to the past those guys were tough as nails

in a fantasy world give them the training of today ect and they would show just as much class facing todays fighters as they did in their era
How do you know if fighters from that era wouldn't have quit against the more brutal fighters of today? Let's face it, PEDs turn you into a machine. Not saying Josesito Lopez is on PEDs but they're taking substances that enhance their performances.

Fighters from that generation battled the opponent across from them who trained the traditional way.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Although i disagree with the tone of the thread and the way it has been made to provoke a negative reaction i cannot help but agree with the notion that too many people view past era's with rose tinted glasses, and that those people should perhaps start enjoying some of the talent we have on display today.
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
ko00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

cool for being open to other opinions but these fighters of today were put in a gym most likely at 5/6/7/8 years old and given the right basics from that age to fight back then alot of fighters made their own way into the sport and only then improving when there was a coach with the knowledge to train their talent what im saying is todays fighters have all the head starts they need

im not saying todays fighters are not better because i really dont think you can compare

look at formula one the cars where dogshit in the 50's basically like driving buses where as today they are like rockets...you can have all the talent you want but can only work within the limits of that sport at the time like basketball methods equipment, better balls make alot of difference over a career...imagine a gym in the past eras compared to now targeting specific muscles, reactions, the list goes on

you only have to look at sprinting and how the times have fallen i dont think its humans that have evolved so much just methods to get the best out of a sportsman are so much better
ko00 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
Low Blow Combos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
look how slow Leonard is compared to modern day fighters with their supplements and modern training techniques. I doubt he could even beat Guerrero

BORKED
Bro are you being sarcastic?? LOOK AT THAT. Tell me Mayweather doesn't beat Leonard. Leonard wouldn't even beat Pacquiao.

In fact, if one day we could time travel, I'd put money on a Prime Cotto to split a decision with Leonard.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #30
Barry Smith
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Imagine if 70's heavyweights had the fitness, diet and access to the advanced training methods that Arreola has benefited from

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Barry Smith is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum