Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #61
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: F**k it, someone had to say it... Past Boxing Era OVERRATED!!

Why did they unban this fool?
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #62
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

prime vlad klitscho has a good chance to beat anyone of the past era

mayweather also except for when matchup with hearns

ward would have schooled hagler or monzon
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #63
ko00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Blow Combos View Post
No problem, I am honestly a very nice, open minded individual (with those who act accordingly). Sometimes I like to throw things in a controversial manner to get some reactions and a live debate going.

You make some great points and I can't turn them down, they are valid.

I get you man. However, isn't it unfair then to place those fighters over ours? I think we can come to the conclusion that today's cars and planes are BETTER than the ones constructed in the past. The circumstances were different in both eras and we can still place one over the other. Why is it that it is almost a cardinal sin to place a Pacquiao or Mayweather over those fighters?

Let's say we try to put it on an even field and pretend that they train under todays circumstances and then try to compare them. We would be IMAGINING and ASSUMING what they would be like. SO, how is that fair to today's fighters who HAVE shown us what they can do under these new modern circumstances?

I don't know if you get my point, I hope you get the idea behind it at least.

BUT as far as you and I go, I understand you completely. I am criticizing the boxing society we are part of today and how it works.

cool i hear what your saying its a good thread i agree you cant place fighters of yester-year above todays (and vice verse though) nostalgia has a way of making the good old days seem better when its an unfair comparsion
ko00 is online now  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #64
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Some of your argument has merit when you go back far enough. However, you didn't go back far enough with Duran. He is a mordern era fighter and he would knock Rios the **** out. He is just a better fighter than Rios.Since the late 70s, boxing and fighters haven't changed that much. I don't see a fighter today using any new moves or throwing any new punches or creating any new styles or hitting any harder. The main difference that I see is, we don't go fifteen rounds, steroids, a thousand belts and paper champs. Let me go back to punches, Floyd has perfected curving that right hand, and that is a punch that will be copied, but Benitez used that punch himself. Another difference is integrity, The earlier fighters had it but the majority of fighters today don't give a **** about it. That's how I see it, other's may see it differently.
Manfred is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #65
BobTheBuilder
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 630

Magic Matthew Hatton would be dominate in Ray Robinson's era
BobTheBuilder is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #66
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Imagine Ali trying to land a punch on Arreola, Chris would look like Sweat Pea in there, who himself would be KO'd in three rounds by the great Antonio DeMarco.
Derrick_Rose is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #67
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
No. The new era is by far the worst. 2 older fighters that couldn't hack it at 140 lbs were able to move up and win titles as underdogs at welterweight

I can't think of a shittier era than the current one.

Once Marquez, Pacquiao and Mayweather leave (in around 2 years)...the best fighter will be Andre Ward. The majority on ESB polls believe Calzaghe > Ward.

Nonito Donaire is potentially a future ATG, ONLY if he rips apart the best featherweights.
anj is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #68
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I'll counter that with this:

How does Hearns break the Mayweather defense?

Hagler beat Hears and he didn't have half of the skillset Mayweather does.
Hagler went to war with Hearns. He had the tools (and the toughness) necessary to do that and win, but he still had to take some good punches along the way. Hagler's style is nothing like Mayweather's style, nor are they similar in terms of physical qualities.

Mayweather has a very good defence, one of the best I've seen, but he's vulnerable to jabs. Hearns has a great, long and fast jab, and he would use that to set up his powerful straight right. He would have trouble hitting Mayweather, just like all fighters, but he would get through at points due to his combination of boxing ability, handspeed and reach. Mayweather could not walk him down and go to war, because Hearns is too dangerous to do that unless you have power and you're willing to take hard, potentially knockout shots on the way in. Mayweather would have to stay on the outside and make it a boxing match, but he would have trouble landing at that range while trying to deal with the constant jab and right hand from Hearns. Hearns is also more active, and in a close round (even if Mayweather is rolling or evading a lot of punches) that would swing it in his favour. He can't box with Hearns on the outside due to these difficulties, and he certainly can't try to walk him down and KO him, as that would make matters worse. It's just a very bad fight for Mayweather.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
I can't think of a shittier era than the current one.

Once Marquez, Pacquiao and Mayweather leave (in around 2 years)...the best fighter will be Andre Ward. The majority on ESB polls believe Calzaghe > Ward.

Nonito Donaire is potentially a future ATG, ONLY if he rips apart the best featherweights.
3 of the top 5 p4p'ers are 35 and older would have been 4/5 if Pac didn't get dropped down.

Pitiful shit.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #70
PowerBack
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:
Mayweather beats Hearns. Sergio Martinez beats Hearns.

I am going out on a limb here and say that Paul Williams would have also beat Hearns.
Mayweather? Hearns only lost when punch strong fighters came forward and was willing to take a hit from his big right hand, Mayweather is simply not that type of fighter, he would find himself on the back end of Hearns' jab and be punished by his right hand.

Martinez has had his best days as a 160 lbs'er, Hearns would definitely beat the 154 or 147 version. Even at 160 I am not sure if Martinez could avoid Hearns' right hand while landing his own left, Martinez' doesn't have nearly the same punch resistance as Hagler, so he can't just walk through Hearns and expect to get to him. Martinez would have to fight a very smart fight and take calculated risks. Actually I only see Martinez winning if he can place his left hand on Hearns' chin, and as he can't walk Hearns down, I think it would be a tough task for him.

Oh, yeah the Williams who was outworked and beat by Quintana would beat Hearns.. Seriously, Hearns would destroy Williams, it would be ugly..
PowerBack is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #71
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Duran being at Rios level, Hearns not being able to crack Floyd's defense, and "most of them are not even qualify to fight in today's standard"

Jesus ****ing Christ.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #72
Mordechai
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

from the past are only a couple of exceptions.

just heavyweights under scope:

it begins with ali, foreman, holmes, tyson, holyfield, lewis, byrd and KBros. they all could whip the floor with everyone before
Mordechai is online now  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #73
sweetjones
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by low blow combos View Post
there i said it. I am a tad tired of people putting everything that they didn't get to see live on a pedestal. It seems as if the more black and white and damaged a fighters footage is, the better they are.

Are you kidding me? With todays technology advances in sports science, there is no way those cavemen could have kept up with todays fighters. It is what it is. I've seen marciano, ive seen louis.. Are you kidding me? They are nothing impressive.

The only phenomenom that i admit was a beast was prime tyson. Now joe louis here's to you, same with marciano, same with robinson,

prime roy jones, prime pacquiao, prime mayweather, prime trinidad, prime de la hoya, prime bernard hopkins, prime golovkin .. Would all demolish those foolz.

i agree 100% / thats the same for football and bball
sweetjones is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #74
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

Quote:
Sorry, I know I am capable of a more civilized discussion. I just like to spice it up a little bit.

And very well put, Dom. I've seen a TON of amazing fights from our current generation and when I look at the top P4P list, it seems to be plagued with these black and white fighters. I mean... damn...... I have never seen a phenomenon like Pacquiao in any of those so called "legends". Same with Mayweather.

IMO, Pac and Mayweather should be in the top 10 of all time in the first 5 spots. Pacquiao 1st, Mayweather 5th.
You have a good point and took a nose dive with the follow up. Like paul williams over hearns? Hearns is not 50s, 60s classic of black and white who just fight majority cans.

Also Paciquao is a beast but no way is he higher than Mayweather. Also how much of Pac's success came from Lancing?
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #75
Shrewd Operator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
...so you think guys from the 40s and 50s wouldn't be able to beat the top guys of today?

Yeah, it's called natural progression! Bigger/Stronger/Faster........
Shrewd Operator is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum