Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #91
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime MW Pavlik v. GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Well let's be clear that Golovkin isn't exactly being given the largest purses in the world by HBO. His headlining bill did far and away the lowest rating of last year on the network. Aside from Martinez and Chavez, I'd say Geale has/had more lucrative options and Sturm (one of the few fighters I'd say has legitimately ducked Golovkin) nevertheless probably did as well. N'Jikam has a guaranteed shot at Quillin on the horizon, Quillin had a guaranteed fight for another belt at home and on longer notice than the date Proksa took, and Pirog was obviously willing but injured.
Quillin was offered a title fight before Pirog was ever stripped, then a unification, both on HBO. He's still on SHO undercards, plus if it's true they offered Edwin Rodriguez 500k they aren't as limited purse wise as it seems. Macklin always has other plans when GGG is looking for a fight, Sturm and NJikam ducked him relentlessly before. I agree Geale had better options, hope he's open to that fight later this year. But as of right now there's little GGG can do to put any of these guys, plus Sergio and Chavez, in the ring with him.
lester proctor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #92
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester proctor View Post
Quillin was offered a title fight before Pirog was ever stripped, then a unification, both on HBO. He's still on SHO undercards, plus if it's true they offered Edwin Rodriguez 500k they aren't as limited purse wise as it seems. Macklin always has other plans when GGG is looking for a fight, Sturm and NJikam ducked him relentlessly before. I agree Geale had better options, hope he's open to that fight later this year. But as of right now there's little GGG can do to put any of these guys, plus Sergio and Chavez, in the ring with him.
That Rodriguez purse that Sanchez claimed was offered has repeatedly been shot down as inaccurate (e.g., here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]). I'm inclined to agree that Quillin has never wanted anything to do with Golovkin, but I don't think anything he's done can be said to constitute a duck as of yet given the short notice for the initial title fight and the fact that he now has a belt of his own. Macklin had a fight on a bigger card at the end of 2012 and had surgery at the start of this year. If he takes on Chavez as is widely expected, that too can be attributed to the existence of a greater reward, rather than fear of greater risk. Even Sturm and N'Jikam, the only two who I think can reasonably construed as having ducked Golovkin, largely did so prior to the point where he had any legitimate promotional backing at all.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #93
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
That Rodriguez purse that Sanchez claimed was offered has repeatedly been shot down as inaccurate (e.g., here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]). I'm inclined to agree that Quillin has never wanted anything to do with Golovkin, but I don't think anything he's done can be said to constitute a duck as of yet given the short notice for the initial title fight and the fact that he now has a belt of his own. Macklin had a fight on a bigger card at the end of 2012 and had surgery at the start of this year. If he takes on Chavez as is widely expected, that too can be attributed to the existence of a greater reward, rather than fear of greater risk. Even Sturm and N'Jikam, the only two who I think can reasonably construed as having ducked Golovkin, largely did so prior to the point where he had any legitimate promotional backing at all.
OK sounded too high. Did Rodriguez deny it?

Macklin's still looking for his first world title, and he passes on his shot on HBO headliner, for Alcine deep on the undercard, for half the money, say.

The fact that GGG had little promotional backing should have encouraged the Sturm and HNN to fight him. NJikam in particular would easily win the purse bid, and have hometown judges ready. If he made it the distance of course. He preferred to drop his belt instead.
lester proctor is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #94
dbouziane
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
yeah lol, all of a sudden he is indestructible, apparently he had some sort of prime when he could not be defeated by anybody and would clean out the division easily. Now Pavlik is right there with Tyson and other indestructible fighters of the past. All he had to do is retire to become great.
went through zuniga, zertuch, mckart, miranda and taylor. none had been stopped. he stopped them all (well zuniga was on cuts but still). and then for good measure he beat taylor again. that's not a bad run. in fact, martinez is the only mw to see the cards against him and he fought martinez two weeks after coming out of rehab.

working your way up the right way (as hopkins commented on pavlik's run) and knocking out the recognized king of the division means you had a prime. maybe not a prolonged one b/c you couldnt keep your nose clean otuside the ring...but it is a prime.

i mean for ****'s sake noob what do you have to do to have a prime in this game if becoming the regonized champ of one of boxing's banner divisions isnt a prime?

not an atg/hof = you should kill yourself....youre one of those, right?
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #95
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester proctor View Post
OK sounded too high. Did Rodriguez deny it?

Macklin's still looking for his first world title, and he passes on his shot on HBO headliner, for Alcine deep on the undercard, for half the money, say.

The fact that GGG had little promotional backing should have encouraged the Sturm and HNN to fight him. NJikam in particular would easily win the purse bid, and have hometown judges ready. If he made it the distance of course. He preferred to drop his belt instead.
There was a quote circulating on the Scene from facebook wherein Rodriguez claimed that he agreed to less than $500k and that Golovkin was lying about willing to fight up to 168 since there had to be a catchweight. I never saw the original though, so I'm not sure how legit it is. The story I read from actual reporters was that HBO wasn't crazy about Golovkin taking on anyone above middleweight.

The Macklin thing I think can be attributed as much to short notice as anything else, as with Quillin. Again, I'm not sure Macklin would like to Golovkin, but I think there were enough mitigating circumstances in that instance to not make a matter of simple avoidance.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #96
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Pavlik: higher level, tougher, willing to go to war. Better power.
GGG was troubled a bit by Rosado in his first 160 fight. I mean
Hopkins is a legend that schooled Pavlik. Prime Pavlik stops GGG
in 9.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #97
eagleskins
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Pavlik just the bigger man. Both have elite power, but Pavlik's size wins this fight.
eagleskins is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #98
BadDog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouziane View Post
went through zuniga, zertuch, mckart, miranda and taylor. none had been stopped. he stopped them all (well zuniga was on cuts but still). and then for good measure he beat taylor again. that's not a bad run. in fact, martinez is the only mw to see the cards against him and he fought martinez two weeks after coming out of rehab.

working your way up the right way (as hopkins commented on pavlik's run) and knocking out the recognized king of the division means you had a prime. maybe not a prolonged one b/c you couldnt keep your nose clean otuside the ring...but it is a prime.

i mean for ****'s sake noob what do you have to do to have a prime in this game if becoming the regonized champ of one of boxing's banner divisions isnt a prime?

not an atg/hof = you should kill yourself....youre one of those, right?
lol, he was a good fighter, but retirement gives him super powers?
Pavlik pretty much folded after his first loss and became a drunk and never came back. That's hardly a heart of a champion. He did beat some top 10 fighters though, but he is not top ATG. Martinez beat him easily too, and Martinez is a small middleweight. Hopkins was old and made Pavlik look like a joke. Before his retirement everybody on this board were calling him a bum, and right after retirement he is a force. Just like somebody hit a button and everybody's opinion changed in a second.

2 best fighter Pavlik fought pretty much outclassed him. Both were old, and 1 of them was in his 40s.
BadDog is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #99
El Lucho
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1436

I say GGG by UD. dude is special, yet would not have been totaly astoinshed would kelly have won.
El Lucho is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #100
dbouziane
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
lol, he was a good fighter, but retirement gives him super powers?
Pavlik pretty much folded after his first loss and became a drunk and never came back. That's hardly a heart of a champion. He did beat some top 10 fighters though, but he is not top ATG. Martinez beat him easily too, and Martinez is a small middleweight. Hopkins was old and made Pavlik look like a joke. Before his retirement everybody on this board were calling him a bum, and right after retirement he is a force. Just like somebody hit a button and everybody's opinion changed in a second.

2 best fighter Pavlik fought pretty much outclassed him. Both were old, and 1 of them was in his 40s.
He was overrated and then underrated. He had a good run and became champ the right way.
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #101
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

this is not even close. pavlik by a mile. hes bigger, more technical with his attacks. he would hurt ggg bad. ggg was getting hit in his last fight. if that was prime kelly, he would sprawled on the floor
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #102
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

A basic but strong one, two is more technical now?
thawk888 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum