Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
DeMarco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Broner - Justified hype or way overboard?

I think he's a solid fighter, but the way people are going on they're making him out to be the future greatest of all time. I'd like other people's opinions because I'm honestly seeing another Lacy type fighter who believes the hype and gets destroyed.
DeMarco is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: Broner - Justified hype or way overboard?

This this has been absolutely done to death mate. You've got the one side that thinks he's all hype and will be exposed by a live body and apparently DeMarco is a terrible fighter and then the others that think he's gods gift.

I would say regardless of whether he reaches the levels of some of the hype, I think excitement is justified, you don't have to have watched boxing long to realise that people with this type of talent don't come along that frequently.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

i think hes legit hes so awkward and has speed and power plus hes young he can get better
looks like his power will get better as he moves up some good fights at 147
but how does he get destroyed? u could only outbox this guy or land a lucky punch no one is gonna destroy this guy
arent u the guy that said Demarco was gonna beat him judgin by your name it was lol

Last edited by |A|C|S|; 02-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
DeMarco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I don't think anyone has said DeMarco was terrible cos that wouls be ridiculous.. Beating ADM in that manner was impressive.. But Ant fought like a spastic from round 3 onwards really. I think he'll get beat up soon, he'll get too ****y and take someone lightly a la Lewis Rahman.
DeMarco is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I agree with ACS though, he's not going to get Lacy'd is he? His defence is high level, much better than the majority. Is he Mayweather? No, he gets hit more, but compared to most he's much more advanced. He's got speed, he's actually pretty smart, he doesn't go in all guns blazing arrogantly, he works a man out and begins to break them apart technically. So there ain't that much to exploit at these weight classes because physically he dominates everybody so how are you going to get on top of a guy that physically dominates you and is nearly always more skilled?

It'd take somebody pretty special to dish him out a whooping at this stage.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Bit of both. Looks a very good fighter but Schaefer and De La Hoya are doing their usual "he's the best thing since sliced bread" act. According to them remember Deontay Wilder is the future of the heavyweight division. Shows how seriously their opinions should be taken when it comes to their own fighters.

We won't know just how good Broner is until he fights a world-class opponent. Rees is world class (at least very close anyway), he should give AB a very good test.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
Bit of both. Looks a very good fighter but Schaefer and De La Hoya are doing their usual "he's the best thing since sliced bread" act. According to them remember Deontay Wilder is the future of the heavyweight division. Shows how seriously their opinions should be taken when it comes to their own fighters.

We won't know just how good Broner is until he fights a world-class opponent. Rees is world class (at least very close anyway), he should give AB a very good test.
I wouldn't say Rees ranks above the likes of DeMarco and Ponce de Leon.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
DON1
ICEMAN
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Kid obviously has talent but lets see when he faces a top top fighter.
DON1 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

justified. His footwork I'm not sure about, but he's good in all other areas and is far from a one dimensional fighter. He had trouble against Ponce de Leon but who hasn't had tough fights they have struggled with early in their career? When he's struggled he's shown that he can adapt, and he's not at his peak yet and already won world titles at 130 and 135. Not bad for a guy who is only 23 year old and has so much time to get better. Time will tell. I expect him to be p4p number 1 one day.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAC View Post
I wouldn't say Rees ranks above the likes of DeMarco and Ponce de Leon.
I wouldn't say he ranks above DeMarco true but PDL (not gonna harp on about how I thought PDL won that fight) hasn't done jack shit at superfeather, not his best weight at all

as for Broner, well, I'll admit his personality has grown on me a bit, as for his skill, he's very athletically gifted, his reflexes are over-rated, his defence his good but with his flat feet we have to see how it holds up against a good in and out fighter, great power because he is built like a tank.

As Broner has gotten bigger, stronger and thicker, his legs have slowed down considerably, he will not be able to fight the cream of the crop the way he fights right now, because as mentioned, the boy aint floyd mayweather and never will be, not even close

In short, you can see why they get excited about him, but he's never going to be a great, has a lot of style but we have yet to see the substance
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Bit of both. He being hyped because they see him as the heir to the HBO throne. In ways, the hype is very similar to that of when Floyd Mayweather was a lot younger. There are lots of similarities. Floyd had far more "haters" (I hate that term) when he was younger, always trying to downplay his victories and suppress them. Before a fight it would be:

"He is gonna lose, opponent x, y, and z will smash him in this fight, trust me"

Then after Mayweather schooled his opponent, easy work, it would be:

"Mayweather is still shit, his opponent rolled over"

But it dont matter to the fighter, as long as they keep doing the business. The more time went on, the more people started saying the inevitable (that they could have said years and years ago instead of being in denial) but more and more people started to respect this mans ability. Especially when they saw the likes of Pacquiao losing fights, and Mayweather dominating that same opposition.

Boxing is all about levels and Floyd Mayweather is clearly on out-of-this world level with the current crop. There is a gap between him and the other fighters around today. Its almost embarrassing.

Can Broner achieve similar? I would say yes because he has the same support behind him with the money team. They wont see him or let him lose. Losing does not exist.

Do I think he can be better than Mayweather? I don't think so. Whilst Broner is a bit more offensive, he leaves gaps. While that may improve with experience, I dont think he will ever be on Mayweathers level. I've seen Mayweather achieve perfect in a fight, leaving no gaps, or making any mistakes, the only gaps he leaves are traps for him to lure the fighter in, and counter. Sure, Mayweather has declined a little with age (Cotto fight) and makes a few more mistakes, but lets be honest, he is so far ahead of the field, he would have to decline by 50% to even be challenged.

I don't think Broner could decline by 50% and get out with the W every single time.

People say Broner's footwork is terrible, but to be honest, Mayweather was never a smooth operator on the feet. They dont play tap dance, they walk you down, stiff legs and planted feet, to generate maximum power from counters. They dont fight that style, because they are not that type of fighter. So I doubt Broners "poor" footwork will be such a problem. Its just how they fight. Boxing is all about styles, and this style is effective at ELITE level, and if aint broke, why fix it?

It aint like it gets them in massive danger every fight either. They are just as comfortable on the back foot. They cruise fights in 1st gear.

Lets be honest, would you rather have terrible punch resistance, or average footwork?
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Bit of both. He being hyped because they see him as the heir to the HBO throne. In ways, the hype is very similar to that of when Floyd Mayweather was a lot younger. There are lots of similarities. Floyd had far more "haters" (I hate that term) when he was younger, always trying to downplay his victories and suppress them. Before a fight it would be:

"He is gonna lose, opponent x, y, and z will smash him in this fight, trust me"

Then after Mayweather schooled his opponent, easy work, it would be:

"Mayweather is still shit, his opponent rolled over"

But it dont matter to the fighter, as long as they keep doing the business. The more time went on, the more people started saying the inevitable (that they could have said years and years ago instead of being in denial) but more and more people started to respect this mans ability. Especially when they saw the likes of Pacquiao losing fights, and Mayweather dominating that same opposition.

Boxing is all about levels and Floyd Mayweather is clearly on out-of-this world level with the current crop. There is a gap between him and the other fighters around today. Its almost embarrassing.

Can Broner achieve similar? I would say yes because he has the same support behind him with the money team. They wont see him or let him lose. Losing does not exist.

Do I think he can be better than Mayweather? I don't think so. Whilst Broner is a bit more offensive, he leaves gaps. While that may improve with experience, I dont think he will ever be on Mayweathers level. I've seen Mayweather achieve perfect in a fight, leaving no gaps, or making any mistakes, the only gaps he leaves are traps for him to lure the fighter in, and counter. Sure, Mayweather has declined a little with age (Cotto fight) and makes a few more mistakes, but lets be honest, he is so far ahead of the field, he would have to decline by 50% to even be challenged.

I don't think Broner could decline by 50% and get out with the W every single time.

People say Broner's footwork is terrible, but to be honest, Mayweather was never a smooth operator on the feet. They dont play tap dance, they walk you down, stiff legs and planted feet, to generate maximum power from counters. They dont fight that style, because they are not that type of fighter. So I doubt Broners "poor" footwork will be such a problem. Its just how they fight. Boxing is all about styles, and this style is effective at ELITE level, and if aint broke, why fix it?

It aint like it gets them in massive danger every fight either. They are just as comfortable on the back foot. They cruise fights in 1st gear.

Lets be honest, would you rather have terrible punch resistance, or average footwork?
Agreed but about the footwork, Mayweather moved around on his feet loads at the lower weights in his younger days wit hgreat effect, he was also much more aggressive and knocked plenty of good fighters out, he didn't fight anything like he does now, Floyds current style is a manifestation of a great career and a fighter becoming one with himself, Broner tries to emulate that style, but he has neither the talent nor the experience to pull it off at the elite level.

It's why a fighter should try to be his own man in the ring and maximise his strengths instead of trying to copy an idols style point for point
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Agreed but about the footwork, Mayweather moved around on his feet loads at the lower weights in his younger days wit hgreat effect, he was also much more aggressive and knocked plenty of good fighters out, he didn't fight anything like he does now, Floyds current style is a manifestation of a great career and a fighter becoming one with himself, Broner tries to emulate that style, but he has neither the talent nor the experience to pull it off at the elite level.

It's why a fighter should try to be his own man in the ring and maximise his strengths instead of trying to copy an idols style point for point
IMO Mayweathers footwork is an illusion. He is just that good. They dont actually move that much in a fight. Its short steps with the forward thinking that eventually you will walk the opponent down and back them up. The backfoot fighter putting the front foot fighter on the back foot.

If you watch the Gatti fight/or maybe it was the Corrales fight? You'll see how Mayweather expertly uses upper body movement and leans from angles to throw combinations to head and body without moving anywhere in the ring.

They dont need to move their feet like most. Its a different style. They create openings with upper body movement and setting traps.

Whenever I watch Broner or Mayweather they look so stiff legged, but when you watch them up top, you'll see exactly why they can be like that. They need to plant their feet to generate such deceiving power on counters, and also to make their opponents punches miss. Mayweather's trademark "pull-counter" is all about upper-body movement, nout to do with the legs, they are stationary and locked in position, they have to be in order to pull the move of, lure the punch in and fool the opponent.

You reach. I teach. Fighting these two must be a nightmare, you think you've got it, and then they take it all away! They take the piss so much, you must feel demoralized at the end of a fight. Mentally and physically.

Masters of the craft.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

It's hard to know how to rate him. He's fought two good opponents, DeMarco and Ponce De Leon, and looked impressive against one and got a gift against the other. Was DeMarco perfect for Broner or is it a sign he's improved? Was Ponce De Leon just a very bad styles match up or was that the sign of real limitation? I don't know, honestly.

He looks good, and has all the right attributes, but my skepticism is related to his ability once he starts getting hit back. I thought he looked poor against Quintero and poor against De Leon, so there is definitely reason for concern against opponents who dish it back.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
daddycool
Journeyman

Not thread-highjacking or anything, but what kind of fighter gives him a hard time? Anyone imparticular?
daddycool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum