GGG by Dec 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #31
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7559
Default Re: Erislandy Lara vs Gennady Golovkin

My initial reaction is Lara by UD. I can see him boxing and frustrating GGG. GGG is vastly overrated. He's not some unstoppable monster. It just takes the boxer with the right set of boxing skills to exploit GGG. Lara might be the guy. And GGG isn't a big MW.
klion22 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Is Martirosyan vs. Lara worth checking out?

I've heard it was ugly and not very exciting, and close enough that most don't have a problem with the draw. (with Martirosyan backers of course thinking it should have swung his way and Lara backers the opposite)
I am a pretty neutral on this fight and I enjoyed the fight for the sole fact that it would clear up the picture at 154. In my eyes the draw was a fair result without Lara having points deducted for the fouls he committed during the fight. At first Lara was tentative and Vanes was landing his right hands. Vanes won the early rounds then Lara was taking the later rounds until the stoppage. I was actually surprised Vanes did as good as he did. I knew his straight right would be problems for Lara but I figured Lara could catch him coming in and put him out. Problem is Lara was too scared to exchange with Vanes. He would wait for Vanes to finish then hit him which would make it hard to stop Vanes that way.

Check it out. I was actually thinking of watching it again sometime this weekend since we have no boxing and it is in my DVR.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #33
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post
My initial reaction is Lara by UD. I can see him boxing and frustrating GGG. GGG is vastly overrated. He's not some unstoppable monster. It just takes the boxer with the right set of boxing skills to exploit GGG. Lara might be the guy. And GGG isn't a big MW.
Easier said than done. You realize Rosado was only catching GGG coming in since Rosado was basically on the defensive the entire time so GGG was forced to open up more to be able to catch him. A guy as defensive as Lara will have to wait for GGG to stop throwing to even do anything and I have a very good feeling Lara is packing some Cuban glass in that chin.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #34
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7559

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul_ir34 View Post
Easier said than done. You realize Rosado was only catching GGG coming in since Rosado was basically on the defensive the entire time so GGG was forced to open up more to be able to catch him. A guy as defensive as Lara will have to wait for GGG to stop throwing to even do anything and I have a very good feeling Lara is packing some Cuban glass in that chin.
Well, GGG is a come forward fighter and Lara is a counter puncher. Lara will have plenty of chances to counter. I think he can pinpoint his shots selectively and make them count.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul_ir34 View Post
I am a pretty neutral on this fight and I enjoyed the fight for the sole fact that it would clear up the picture at 154. In my eyes the draw was a fair result without Lara having points deducted for the fouls he committed during the fight. At first Lara was tentative and Vanes was landing his right hands. Vanes won the early rounds then Lara was taking the later rounds until the stoppage. I was actually surprised Vanes did as good as he did. I knew his straight right would be problems for Lara but I figured Lara could catch him coming in and put him out. Problem is Lara was too scared to exchange with Vanes. He would wait for Vanes to finish then hit him which would make it hard to stop Vanes that way.

Check it out. I was actually thinking of watching it again sometime this weekend since we have no boxing and it is in my DVR.
So is Martirosyan showing improvements or still as flawed as he was against Ouma, Greene, and Roman?

Do you think Maciel has a chance? (note: I would've favored Maciel over Demetrius Andrade if that had gone through as planned...you should really check out footage of him since dropping back down to 154 after the Pirog loss...he is living up to his ring name, dude is a BEAST...and would exhibit real aggression to bother Martirosyan unlike Lara, but controlled aggression...)
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #36
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
So is Martirosyan showing improvements or still as flawed as he was against Ouma, Greene, and Roman?

Do you think Maciel has a chance? (note: I would've favored Maciel over Demetrius Andrade if that had gone through as planned...you should really check out footage of him since dropping back down to 154 after the Pirog loss...he is living up to his ring name, dude is a BEAST...and would exhibit real aggression to bother Martirosyan unlike Lara, but controlled aggression...)
I have only see highlights of the Maciel-Pirog fight so I cant speak much for him. He must be pretty good if you feel he can beat Andrade. I rate Andrade pretty high as a prospect as of now of course. He beat El Riel more impressively than Lara did as a matter of fact.

Martirosyan still looks the same to me. He does some amateurish things. I feel if he would have put more pressure on Lara he would have walked away the clear winner there. However anytime things got heated Lara would resort to his dirty tactics which might be what deterred Vanes a bit.
Lara just sits still when someone goes to work on him then clinches and fouls. Speaking of which I would like Angulo to get in the mix here soon. I see Lara struggling with his activity and the Vanes fight would be a war.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
christo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

GGG controls the mobile southpaw with his power jab. The long
rights from GGG are at least as long as Lara's straight left, but
GGG throwing the right to Lara as he forces him back would land
with more frequency than Lara's counter left. GGG does everything
better than The cuban and is bigger, more powerful, and applies
too much pressure. People are acting like Lara has the better boxing
pedigree. GGG was a better AM than Lara and is also the better pro.
It;s just GGG opens himself to more critism of his defense because
he's so offensive minded. If you really analyze this fight, there can
only be 1 logical outcome. GGG by stoppage.
christo is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
IRONSENSE2002
muslim and proud
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

i don't know what ppl see in lara, sure he was robbed against P.willy. but he was given an equal gift against molina.
IRONSENSE2002 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #39
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
Lara's response to this fight would be that Golovkin hasn't done enough to earn a shot at him.

I wonder if GGG could lure some big 154 names with a 155lb title shot?
are you serious? When has Lara said anything like that? Lara is more avoided at 154 than GGG is at 160
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
EuroBot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Lara UD, I think. Enough movement and counterboxing ability to give GGG a headache. Plus GGG is pretty hittable, despite his good beard.
EuroBot is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

Not all that sold on Lara

he was a dud vs Molina and had some nice looking KO's against guys that arent really that good

he wasnt all that impressive vs Vanes a guy that big portions of ESB thought Lara was gonna destroy though i think the forum overrates Lara and doesnt like Vanes that much

I think Golovkin showed some flaws vs Rosado but I dont think Lara is the guy yo expose them
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #42
EuroBot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO KIDD View Post
Not all that sold on Lara

he was a dud vs Molina and had some nice looking KO's against guys that arent really that good

he wasnt all that impressive vs Vanes a guy that big portions of ESB thought Lara was gonna destroy though i think the forum overrates Lara and doesnt like Vanes that much

I think Golovkin showed some flaws vs Rosado but I dont think Lara is the guy yo expose them
Both are hugely overrated by certain sections of this forum; depends on which side of the fence you fall on. Both very talented. This is a pick'em.
EuroBot is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #43
Eastcoast
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
are you serious? When has Lara said anything like that? Lara is more avoided at 154 than GGG is at 160

Who's avoiding Lara other than Canelo? He looked poor in the Molina and Hernadez fights and basically living off the PWill robbery. Vanes fought him, Trout stated he's willing to face him. I doubt Angulo or Kirkland would turn it down.
Eastcoast is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
Eastcoast
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
I dunno, Lara seemed happy to go to Russia to fight Pirog, only to be met with silence.
There's no way to conclude this, back in 2010 Lara was still hungry and on the up and yet fight Molina and Williams, but I think he was just talking to get his name out there. He's had some nice pay checks since then vs some less than stellar competition.
Eastcoast is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #45
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBot View Post
Both are hugely overrated by certain sections of this forum; depends on which side of the fence you fall on. Both very talented. This is a pick'em.
Hang on... wtf?
DOM5153 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum