Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Give Werdum the title shot and put Gonzaga in TUF

Werdum is easily the best next fight for Velasquez now, and he'd have beaten down on Nog anyway. Gonzaga is a far more realistic/even fight for Nog at this point, and it could be another exciting jiu-jitsu contest. Gonzaga isn't great, but he is 3-0 in his last three, beat Ben Rothwell by sub in his previous UFC fight, and has high level BJJ skills. I think this is a much better idea than having Werdum beat the shit out of Nog while Cain sits on the shelf doing nothing. Is Gonzaga really that much worse than Nog's previous opponents Dave Herman and Brendan Schaub? Not really. And if Ross Pearson and George Sotiropoulos can be TUF coaches, so can Gonzaga, who has actually won a UFC title eliminator fight and then fought for the UFC heavyweight title.
Manila is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Give Werdum the title shot and put Gonzaga in TUF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila View Post
Werdum is easily the best next fight for Velasquez now, and he'd have beaten down on Nog anyway. Gonzaga is a far more realistic/even fight for Nog at this point, and it could be another exciting jiu-jitsu contest. Gonzaga isn't great, but he is 3-0 in his last three, beat Ben Rothwell by sub in his previous UFC fight, and has high level BJJ skills. I think this is a much better idea than having Werdum beat the shit out of Nog while Cain sits on the shelf doing nothing. Is Gonzaga really that much worse than Nog's previous opponents Dave Herman and Brendan Schaub? Not really. And if Ross Pearson and George Sotiropoulos can be TUF coaches, so can Gonzaga, who has actually won a UFC title eliminator fight and then fought for the UFC heavyweight title.
49 posts? What have you done now, Pop?

Gonzaga is better than Herman and Schaub, but I don't know how much a group of fighters would excited about the chance to be on Gonzaga's team. I guess they would still have to be happy about the exposure that comes with being on the show.

I think Werdum has been hosed a little over the past few years. He and Cormier should have already faced each other in StrikeForce, with the winner getting the next shot at the champion. Werdum is not an easy fight for Velasquez at all. Werdum has only been stopped once in over 20 fights, and most of his bouts are against fairly good fighters.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
kokoko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Not sure if Big Nog and Bigfoot are friends, but I would let Bigfoot couch TUF. And then have Werdum fight Cain.
kokoko is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I think they'll be seriously looking at Velasquez Dos Santos 3 in the wake of Overeem being knocked out.

I cant see them pulling Werdum for Gonzaga, there's too much thats been done, contracts, TV networks, etc etc, just cant see it.

I will add though, for some reason the UFC seem to keeping Werdum out of harms way, weve had this influx of HW's and some good prospects in the division and yet theyve matched him in an overwhelmingly easy fight, again! no dis-respect there fella's (before I get the PRIDE brigade all over my arse), but it is.

Frank Mir would provide Werdum with a very stern test!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Nah, he wouldn't. Werdum's Muay Thai is much better than Mir's stand-up now, Werdum has a better chin, and a superior ground game. It would be an easy fight for Werdum.
Manila is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko View Post
Not sure if Big Nog and Bigfoot are friends, but I would let Bigfoot couch TUF. And then have Werdum fight Cain.
Bigfoot trains at Nogueira's gym half the time, that's why I went for Gonzaga instead, can't see Nog and Bigfoot wanting to fight each other.
Manila is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think they'll be seriously looking at Velasquez Dos Santos 3 in the wake of Overeem being knocked out.

I cant see them pulling Werdum for Gonzaga, there's too much thats been done, contracts, TV networks, etc etc, just cant see it.

I will add though, for some reason the UFC seem to keeping Werdum out of harms way, weve had this influx of HW's and some good prospects in the division and yet theyve matched him in an overwhelmingly easy fight, again! no dis-respect there fella's (before I get the PRIDE brigade all over my arse), but it is.

thats what makes the most sense to me. its a blockbuster. why risk it by throwing your champion up against a live contender.
theres potentially a number of fights they could squeeze out of the cain-junior rivalry. i also agree werdum-mir is a fight that should be made. theres alot of questions to be answered for mir and werdum still needs to prove emphatically that hes a championship level fighter imo. he still doesnt have that exclamation point next to his name i feel
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

thread starter gets his ideas from sherdog, what a cunt
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
thread starter gets his ideas from sherdog, what a cunt
Thread starter is also on Sherdog, what a ****ing retard!
Manila is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila View Post
Nah, he wouldn't. Werdum's Muay Thai is much better than Mir's stand-up now, Werdum has a better chin, and a superior ground game. It would be an easy fight for Werdum.
Mir is a better stand up fighter than Werdum, thats my opinion, Werdum is the best grappler at HW world wide (pure JJ), thats also my opinion

Werdum cant wrestle, Mir cant wrestle, IMHO it makes for a very good fight!

If Mir beat him I wouldnt a bit suprised
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Mir is a better stand up fighter than Werdum, thats my opinion, Werdum is the best grappler at HW world wide (pure JJ), thats also my opinion

Werdum cant wrestle, Mir cant wrestle, IMHO it makes for a very good fight!

If Mir beat him I wouldnt a bit suprised
I disagree. Mir is a more powerful puncher, but he is not a better striker. Werdum has upped his stand-up game over the last few years. He mixes his kicks and punches a lot better than Mir does, and has a much better chin.

I would be surprised to see Mir defeat Werdum. I think Werdum beats Frank anywhere the fight takes place.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #12
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I disagree. Mir is a more powerful puncher, but he is not a better striker. Werdum has upped his stand-up game over the last few years. He mixes his kicks and punches a lot better than Mir does, and has a much better chin.

I would be surprised to see Mir defeat Werdum. I think Werdum beats Frank anywhere the fight takes place.
Mir is certainly chinny, I dont remember saying he wasnt, I have to politely disagree Rek, Werdums stand up is sloppy, yes its improved but he's still making non-striker mistakes, chin in air, retreating in straight lines, flicking his punches, I dont class him as a striker, yes he has stand up, but he's not a striker.

IMHO Mir can and should be seen as somewhat of a striker these days, at what pletherer you or I or anybody place him at within that categorization is up for debate, but I do believe Mir has better stand up than Werdum.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

All about Werdum Vs Cain. Have wanted Fabricio to get his shot for a while he's the man.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum