Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who wins these fights?
Scott LeDoux beats Mac Foster 2 10.00%
Mac Foster beats Scott LeDoux 17 85.00%
Ron Lyle beats Gerrie Coetzee 15 75.00%
Gerrie Coetzee beats Ron Lyle 5 25.00%
Bernardo Mercado beats Gregorio Peralta 7 35.00%
Gregorio Peralta beats Bernardo Mercado 12 60.00%
Floyd Patterson beats Earnie Shavers 7 35.00%
Earnie Shavers beats Floyd Patterson 13 65.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765
Default 1970's 'Best of the Rest' Heavyweight Tournament: First Round (Part Three)

I have decided to do a 1970's Heavyweight tournament. I have included 32 of the better fighters who did not gain general recognition as Heavyweight Champion, so no Frazier, Foreman, Ali, Spinks and Holmes.

For the sake of not clogging up the board, and making it a bit faster, I will be using multiple fights in a thread, with multiple options for people to vote. I will not vote, other than to break a tie. All fights will be over 15 rounds. The draw was done at random, and with no one seeded.

Just one final thing, it is a 70's tournament, thus try and analyse the fighters at their 70s peak, even if they peaked in their career before or after the decade.

The rest of the first round:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by TBooze; 02-07-2013 at 04:27 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1970's 'Best of the Rest' Heavyweight Tournament: First Round (Part Three)

Yes, Floyd Patterson would beat Earnie Shavers..and I'm referring to the post '63 version of Floyd.
Gregorio was waaay too good for Mercado.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: 1970's 'Best of the Rest' Heavyweight Tournament: First Round (Part Three)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yes, Floyd Patterson would beat Earnie Shavers..and I'm referring to the post '63 version of Floyd.
Gregorio was waaay too good for Mercado.
Yeah I think Floyd beats the shit out of Shavers, way too fast and ko's him in 4 or 5 but right now we are in the minority, in fairness he did say 70's form?
mattdonnellon is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post
Yeah I think Floyd beats the shit out of Shavers, way too fast and ko's him in 4 or 5 but right now we are in the minority, in fairness he did say 70's form?
Well, I think that the post-Liston version of Floyd was better than he was..at least more confident and well rounded..than he was as champion. I think that -'70 or '71 Patterson would have gotten to Earnie just fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

And you're right..a stoppage for Floyd.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I should not be surprised that anyone who has a reputation as a puncher would managed to get picked over Poor Underrated Floyd patterson...I just don't see this one. I think Floyd can and would pull this one off.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

24 hours to go.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I made an error voting and picked Ledoux over Foster. The big Mac that fought against Ali--an underrated fight for sure--is too much for Scott. And Ledoux just held those hands so low in there for a slugger type. That sneaky left hook of foster's will land and I tend to think it goes the distance for a decision win.

Lyle/Coetzee and Floyd/Shavers are real interesting bouts. The kind where if they met 3x, nobody is going 3-0. I don't seem to recall Ron ever being mentioned as an opponent to travel to South Africa when they were trying to get american heavyweights to take on Schutte and the upcoming hitters in Knoetze and Coetzee. I wonder how some of those old heavies like say Lyle or Shavers or Norton or would have done going on the road back then? I'm surprised the Bugner type durable guys didn't go either.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadfrak View Post
I made an error voting and picked Ledoux over Foster. The big Mac that fought against Ali--an underrated fight for sure--is too much for Scott. And Ledoux just held those hands so low in there for a slugger type. That sneaky left hook of foster's will land and I tend to think it goes the distance for a decision win.
If need be, I will take that into account.

Quote:
Lyle/Coetzee and Floyd/Shavers are real interesting bouts. The kind where if they met 3x, nobody is going 3-0. I don't seem to recall Ron ever being mentioned as an opponent to travel to South Africa when they were trying to get american heavyweights to take on Schutte and the upcoming hitters in Knoetze and Coetzee. I wonder how some of those old heavies like say Lyle or Shavers or Norton or would have done going on the road back then? I'm surprised the Bugner type durable guys didn't go either.
You got to remember the politics of the situation. Yes some did it, no doubt for good money, but I suspect a few more decent Heavyweights turned down the offer of fighting in 1970's South Africa on principle.

And if Bugner had gone, I suspect because of the Gleneagles agreement and/or public pressure, he would of lost any British/Commonwealth and European titles he may of had, and probably would of struggled to get a decent pay day in Britain and the rest of Europe.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yep. Interesting times.

But Arum had Tate go down there twice in a row. Incredible. When will be the next time we will see that? But Arum told Ace Miller and that Tate management what to do and I don't think it was open to debate. Not exactly like dealing with Herbert Muhammad, was it?

It even took a long time for those guys to get fights in neutral territory. But Arum put Coetzee in with Leon Spinks in Monaco and that opened the door. If Gerrie had lost that bout, a lot of things would have changed for both guy's careers. What a pivotal fight and kind of like a carbon copy of the Bobick-Norton fight a few years earlier in temrs of just how much was on the line for the winner. and just how much there was to lose for the guy unfortunate enough to come in 2nd place.

Whatever happened to those heavyweight pivotal fights anyway? I'm not sure the recent Haye--Chisora fight was of that magnitude when 1 guy was on a losing streak afterall. But it's easy to understand when you have to put up all your chips and bet if the roulette wheel is going to be black or red.
zadfrak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum