boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416
Default So, what do we think of Frampton's win?

Carl Frampton just knocked Martinez in the 9th. There's LOADS to take away from that and we learned a lot. Let's discuss what we saw and the future for Frampton.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
I am tyler
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: So, what do we think of Frampton's win?

Good win. Got hit easily enough though. Boxed well off the back foot against a very good euro level opponent. Was a close but clear fight while it lasted in my eyes.
I am tyler is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
UP93
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Looked the goods imo, a little sloppy at points and his defense does need work, but he's very well rounded, has genuine power and looks a tough kid with solid stamina.
UP93 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good win,showed lovely boxing skill at time's,remained calm under pressure but got hit a bit too much,showed a good chin though,7 out of ten performance,would fancy him to stop Quigg aswell..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

It was a good win against a decent opponent, although Frampton did get hit with some good shots he displayed a solid looking chin.

Hopefully Carl will have learned a lot from being pushed so hard, I wonder who Eddie will get for him next.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Very good performance and won pretty much every round. Took a few shots but to criticize him because of that is way too harsh. He avoided most of what was thrown at him, and at this level of course you're gonna take a few. It was only a handful of times that Martinez landed anything eye catching. Impressive performance.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
AndyPaterson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 625

Had Frampton up by 4 points at the time of the stoppage.

dropped the hands way too much for my liking especially when he was pulling away.

took a few solid shots but answered them back.

quality finish, we a step back, then forward then ****ing BOOM and that was all she wrote.

He also has a fantastic temperament

He can fight coming forward and going back, the problem I have with him fighting backwards is his tendency to drop his hands but over time I suppose that will be ironed out.
AndyPaterson is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Definitely needs to work on getting his hands back up quicker he seems to admire his work a bit after throwing good combinations. Excellent all round ability though, good speed, foot work, variety, chin, power, and movement. He'll definitely win a world title and if he continues to improve could go on to big things. Martinez is pretty limited though and only really was ever going win by landing a big bomb, he's only 26 but looked a lot older and Frampton will have to show a lot more defensively to get past the elite at super bantumweight I think.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Was impressed to an extent. Been harsh on Frampton on other threads but I'll give him his due, that was a beauty of a finish and his power and pure boxing skills look great.

That said, his defence looked very leaky indeed. Showed a good chin but the body shots were clearly hurting him.

Still think Quigg has the edge on him personally right now. Although he doesn't bring the same intense pressure Scott is a lot cleverer than Martinez and picks his shots better. He killed Munroe with the body shots and from that fight Carl clearly has a weakness there that he needs to work on.

Overall, very good win for Frampton but not pitch perfect. I think it may be a wee bit too early to push for world title just yet. Keep him at Euro level and make a couple of defences so he can brush up on a few weaknesses. If he can do that then he'll likely become a cracking fighter.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
badlefthook84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wouldn't mind seeing him defend the European title for a bit. Good performance tonight but a bit to work on, which im sure he knows himself. Ideally Quigg would face him May 11th, the date Hearn said they want Frampton back out on, but again, ideally!
badlefthook84 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Impressive. Better than I thought he'd do and showed he had a good chin and responded well under pressure.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
AndyPaterson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Definitely needs to work on getting his hands back up quicker he seems to admire his work a bit after throwing good combinations. Excellent all round ability though, good speed, foot work, variety, chin, power, and movement. He'll definitely win a world title and if he continues to improve could go on to big things. Martinez is pretty limited though and only really was ever going win by landing a big bomb, he's only 26 but looked a lot older and Frampton will have to show a lot more defensively to get past the elite at super bantumweight I think.
Super bantam is becoming slightly threadbare now.

Donaire will move up shortly, Mares has already moved up so that leaves the likes of Mijares, Darchinyan and Rigo.
AndyPaterson is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Answered questions, finished job well, boxed well but also Martinez was a tad overrated. Good solid European fighter but not world class and not a massive puncher like people made out. Solid puncher but a good win a 8 out of 10 win at this stage in Framptons career.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good win for the lad. Fair play to him.

1 minor criticism, if you can call it that, is that he needs consistency in his corner. I dont know why gerry storey wasnt in his corner tonight but i dont know what shane mc guigan will be able to offer him when he gets into a tight spot and needs a good experienced cornerman to tell him what to do. I understand barry giving his son a helping hand but it could end up costing one of his fighters.

other than that the lads a good head on his shoulders
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Good win,decent performance against a guy who came to win. He moved up a level and was always going to have to take some shots. He proved he could take the shots. All in you couldn't really ask much more of him tonight. He found it harder going than he has been used to but that had to be expected and he will have taken a lot of good out of that fight.
Good performance,good win and a well deserved European title.
p.Townend is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum